Me and Cynique!

EU. Well, at least Troy took a good picture. It was great to meet him in person! As soon as I entered the crowded room, I spotted him right away.  When I got close enough  I tapped him on the back.  When he turned around, he immediately recognized me.  It was a very pleasant and sentimental occasion to finally cap our 13 year cyber friendship with a big hug.  :D  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chasitie said:

This is beautiful!  Cyber relationships are great but there nothing like real life human interaction!

With some people I've met online I've found myself spinning that to say:
Well, if I can't get her in REAL LIFE....lol....then I'll settle for  a cyber relationship.

"Tapped" me on my back?!  I was talking to someone and I felt someone punch me in my back.  My immediate reaction is that this person better know me.  So I turned around and it @Cynique in the flesh.  Cynique, in an ideal world we could have taken more time to actually have a conversation.  Seeing you was like meeting a celebrity.  A celebrity whose career you may have followed and taken a photograph with, but getting to know someone takes time and I think it has to be in person.

The interesting thing about getting to know someone on these forums versus real life is that (at least for me), is that I tend to be more honest here.  I'll express views and opinion here that I would keep to myself at a cocktail party.  Here I'm less filtered, so I'm probably more likable in real life :)  But which one is the real me.  I think if you know me both here and in the real world you probably know me better than most.  Lurkers may fall into that catergory, but hardly anyone you actively posts does.

@Delano (who i actually went to business school with in the early 90's) falls into the category of both.  I first met him in 1991 when we both were constants in the PC lab.  But I have not seen him in about 10 years so we have moved from physical to virtual.  Choosing between the two; physical trumps virtual. But when there is no other choice virtual is better than nothing.

Our culture seems to behave as if virtual relationships are better than physical ones, given the huge amount of time we invest, in corporate curated, virtual relationships. 

Corporate control of the relationship is one of the reason's I've optioned out of using social media for personal reasons; social media imposes which greatly distort who we really are. I actually started to dislike people in the social media world that I actually liked in the real world!

So if someone who I actually know, warts and all, in the real world, is seemingly constantly boasting about how great wife, children, lives are; they seem phony and disingenuous to me.  But then I realized it is not them; it is the way social media works, so rather than disliking people I otherwise like, I try my best to ignore what I see, or like hit the like button and keep it moving.

• Like 2

Well, I might be a little psychic because when I engage with a person for any length on line, their true persona begins to transcend their words as I read between the lines. I just pick up on certain things, that  are said or that aren't said.  People give themselves away and don't know it.  Their style of expressing themselves takes on an attitude. The only thing anybody from this forum might be surprised about upon meeting me is my demeanor,  Although 82, I am neither feeble nor sedate. And I have, after all,  shared a lot of my personal philosophy as well as my life history on this board (much to the indignation of Sara who inadvertently revealed a lot about herself in her posts).  My cyber personality would be different only in that I would bite my tongue a little more in person because I don't want anybody to go upside my head. People often tell me that I write just like I talk and I think I do because I write in a conversational tone. Contrary to what some might hope, deep down inside I am not really a sweeet person. :huh:

Troy was exactly as I expected him to be. He and I have often clashed about things so I know both his mild and aggressive side. I know his pet peeves and his passions.  And we fell into an easy conversation right away, quickly finding things to snicker  about.  I found it amusing that he kept saying I looked just like my picture. How about that?  

Troy and I didn't spend any more than about 10 minutes together because since there was no controversial topic to discuss, we pretty much said everything the moment called for.  After meeting and greeting and bidding our fond farewells, me and my daughter split because we were in "Chiraq" after dark and didn't want to get caught in any crossfire. LOL. We even took an alternate route home because the expressway we usually take has had 12 drive-by shootings in the past 2 months. So we hopped into the Range Rover and got the hell outta Dodge.  

Mission accomplished.  I met my good buddy, Troy Johnson, in person.    

• Like 3

No Cynique you did not strike me as elderly in the least.  I too appreciated that the situation my not present itself again so i cherished the moment even more.

I went on about how you look like yourself, because you did.  I see A LOT of photos of folks, meet them in person, and wonder who was in the photos they release :)

Well next time you are in the 'hood check out a restaurant called Peaches.  It is not much to look at, but they have an excellent breakfast I'm not checkout the duck bacon and the biscuits.  

• Like 2

@Delano, if you mean talked more about "ideas" in person, the answer is probably no... which raises a point I'd not considered.  How often do I actually exchange ideas, rant, tell people exactly what I'm honestly thinking about their ideas?  Sometimes I even float ideas I'm not sure about to see what others think about them.  The answer is not very often.

Plus I'm much more tolerant of other here than I would be in the real world, I'm sure people are more tolerant of me too :-)  Plus I can communicate 24/7--even if the answer does not come back right away, it does not matter.  I've seen conversations resurrected after lying dormant for years.

So I guess on some level this form of communication does have some benefits. Cynique and I did not sit down and have an in depth conversation, but I guess that is because we really didn't need to.  What can I say, that is on my mind, that she does not already know?

Still I appreciated the opportunity to give a actual kiss on the cheek, something that still can't be done virtually, and for me tips the scale in favor of physical communication.  

But I guess in an idea world you can have both.

Still I appreciated the opportunity to give a actual kiss on the cheek, something that still can't be done virtually

Now WAIT a damn minute......

Neither one of you mentioned ALL OF THAT in your first few posts about the encounter.

With every post more and more seems to leak out.....LOL.

First it started with a tap on the back.
Next a big hug is included in the story.
NOW I'm hearing about Troy kissing her all over the cheeks and carrying on.......

I wonder how much will we know by Memorial Day???