Walter Mosley Fans, I can use your help...

It is Walter Mosley post so this is fine.  I never saw the film, I'll add it to my queue.  I recently heard Walter say, and I paraphrase, that Denzel was not who he envisioned as Easy Rawlins, as Easy is not a handsome man. The novel Devil in a Blue Dress was rated as one of the top 100 book of the 20th century by this website's readers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tolly devlin

Before the Carl Franklin adaptation of Devil.... there was talk of a Charles Burnett adaptation featuring Danny Glover as Easy Rawlins. I like the version with Denzel, even with some of the changes that were made to make Beale's character more sympathetic, but it would have been interesting to see what Burnett could have done with the story. 

Guest tolly devlin

At the time that option appeared Carl Franklin had not yet made One False Move, which was the movie that established his reputation. You are obviously unfamiliar with the filmography of Charles Burnett,one of the leading  members of the Black Independent film  movement known as the LA Rebellion.And yes he is a favorite. 

Guest tolly devlin

What was known as the LA Rebellion was a gathering of Black Independent film makers & students out of UCLA from the mid seventies through the mid-eighties. I am not from LA but have always had an interest in film & when works from these directors started appearing at colleges & festivals in the early eighties I went to see them. There is a younger group of black independent film  makers on the scene today. The LA film makers have been written about & have had their work reassessed in recent years ( Julie Dash in relation to Beyonce's recent Lemonade DVD).

@Tolly, if you create an account you will not have to wait for me to approve your comments before they go live.

I have not seen the video yet, but running a query to understand the Julie Dash reference I came across the NY Times article which explains the reference and a whole lot more;

The queasiest part of “Drunk in Love” comes when Jay Z raps, “Eat the cake, Anna Mae,” invoking a diner scene from “What’s Love Got to Do With It” when Ike (using Tina’s birth name) shoves dessert in her face. Is “Lemonade” a rebuke of that, too? Why not? Any wife who outs her husband on an album and in an hourlong video as a cheater, then makes him release that album on his streaming platform — exclusively — is having her cake and making him eat it, too. —Wesley Morris, The New York Times

Sheesh!  Maybe @Pioneer1 has a point about men; is be realistic for a woman (even a Bey) to think a man of Hova's power and wealth would remain monogamous?