Oscar Brown Jr.

“maybe because he transitioned in May i am missing Oscar Brown Jr. not sure because i miss him at other times as well. sometimes i think of him and cry. i think of his children and know they still miss him and can't image. he loved his children so. he carried within his very fiber a memory of our people and our journeys, our struggles, defeats and victories. and no one could summon that past and future energy and share it in the present like Oscar. he remains our master of all master story tellers. i had the privilege of his friendship for close to 30 years and knew of and appreciated his work long before that. i miss you brother. but i am so thankful for the gift of your words, music and your life energy that still is here. i celebrate you this day and beyond.”—Paul Coates

…found of social media, and shared 'cause I know he won’t mind

• Like 1

Guest Gwen Holley

Oh. My. Goodness! How could I have lived so long and not heard of this brother?  I am appalled! Only with me though. New mission: know his work!

• Like 1

Guest tolly devlin

Not just a story teller but a very good jazz vocalist & composer. His daughter Maggie is still out here performing & carrying on in the grand tradition of her dad. Last summer there was a "revival" of The Freedom Now Suite that he & Max Roach collaborated on here in Chicago.

• Like 1