New Novel About First Black Woman to Graduate from Vassar

The following text was pulled from my facebook page.  Technically the book was not directly mentioned in my eNewsletter, but it was indirectly mentioned as it is one of a set of selected books I've included in my list of up coming books.

“Thank you to Troy Johnson for including The Gilded Years by Karin Tanabe in AALBC.com's June e-newsletter. It is a historical novel based on the true story of Anita Hemmings [pictured below]. Before you let "historical novel" turn you off, first know that Anita Hemmings was the first black woman to graduate from Vassar College in the 1890s.
The Gilded Years, although a fictionalized account, truly captures the spirit of not only that time in our history but you'll find yourself rooting for Anita Hemmings, wanting her to cross the finish line - graduate from Vassar - before she's "found out." She put everything on the line to attend her dream school, which at the time did not admit black women. Yet, she did so by passing as a white woman, a decision that she and her family did not make lightly. For three years, the highly intellectual, multilingual Anita Hemmings kept her head in her books, made few to no friends, and focused on her goals, until her graduate year when she met her new roommate. Lottie was the girl on campus that everyone wanted as a friend. She came from a monied Manhattan family. She was fun. Lottie lived life her way and every girl admired her. She and Anita became fast friends - like sisters - until they got a little too close for comfort. Although Anita enjoyed her new life as Lottie's best friend, she risked losing everything she'd worked so hard for. With the turn of each page, you'll find yourself in fear for Anita, laughing with her as she and her friends enjoy the fruits of their senior year of college, and crying with her when she had to make hard decisions that involved her heart.
The Gilded Years publishes on June 7. Please take it with you to the beach, on vacation, or wherever your travels take you over the coming months.”

Anita-Hemmings.jpg

I think it is an interesting story, particularly in the context of the race conversations we have been having.

@Pioneer1 what genetic test would you run to determine this sista's Blackness?  Keep in mind her "whiteness" past muster with upper class white folks; arguably the most racist folks to exist.