"Ooops! Outta time!"

Today, June 7th, would've been Prince's 58th birthday.  Back in the 1980s, my 2 daughters were Prince fanatics.  And it wasn't long before after being constantly exposed to his unique funky sound, I became a fan of his too, even accompanying them to his concerts over the years.  In the early 90s, however,  I pretty much abandoned the ol boy because his music no longer hooked me like the songs back in his hey day. "Adore" was the last song by him that I really dug.  But I did take the title of my last self-published effort "The Only One", from a line in his song "I wanna be your lover." Saturday, my daughter is having a belated birthday observation for Prince.  All the invitees are requested to wear purple and nothing but Prince albums will be played.  She's expecting about 25 people because all of her friends were Prince devotees also. I will be there, too, partying like it's 1999.  

Prince was not only  mischievous, he was also mystical, something I dug.   A lot of double entendre is contained in his lyrics as well as cryptic messages.  In one of his biggest hits "Let's Go Crazy"  his words proved to be prophetic. R.I.P. Prince Rogers Nelson.  I'm just hangin around, hoping to see the results of the presidential election, then - come what may...  I've been crazy long enough. ;)

Prelude to "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
2 get through this thing called life

Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here 2 tell u
There's something else
The afterworld

A world of never ending happiness
U can always see the sun, day or night

So when u call up that shrink in Beverly Hills
U know the one - Dr Everything'll Be Alright
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, baby

'Cuz in this life
Things are much harder than in the afterworld
In this life
You're on your own

And if de-elevator tries 2 bring u down
Go crazy - punch a higher floor...

• Like 1

I love our dearly departed brother Prince and I hope he is resting in peace.
However I still have to wonder out loud why so many heterosexual women went absolutely crazy over such a feminine looking man.

It would be a like men going crazy over Ru Paul or some masculine looking woman.

I remember Jamie Foxx during one of his stand up routines commenting that Prince was so "pretty" that even HE'D fuck him...lol.

As  a kid I'd just watch how so many girls swooned over prince and had posters of him in their bedrooms. 

I found this mostly among  Black American women, because most of the African women I've met couldn't care less and I've never heard any White women comment on Prince's looks or sexiness.

Muhammad Ali JOKED about how pretty he was....Prince wasn't joking.

I don't think Ali was joking about his looks either :-)

Pioneer, I believe men and women define sexiness differently.  Men rank a woman's looks higher up on the set of characteristics they consider; while women rank what a man does higher.  This is why a physically unattractive, or feminine looking man, can easily score highly desireable women.

While a physically unattractive, or masculine looking women, would have more difficulty attracting highly desireable men.  

So while Prince would not be what one considers, a "Man's Man," he was da Man.

Troy

It wasn't just Prince's musical talents and accomplishments....that I can understand.

These girls (and women) actually liked the way he LOOKED.
They thought he was sexy....attractive!

prince14.jpg

I can understand how some Black people can get hung up on the light skin and straight hair, because a lot of Black men are the same way.
And again, no disrespect to our wonderful brother Prince who probably just did "his thing" not necessarily looking for worship and adornment from the public.
But what I didn't understand as a younger man and STILL don't understand is why such a FEMININE looking man was seen as so attractive to so many females.

You just don't see the opposite.
You don't see heterosexual men focusing their lusts on MASCULINE looking women.
No muscle bound women with bald heads and excessive facial hair.

Serena Williams with her muscular arms is about as close to a "masculine" woman as I've seen that Black men will lust after.  And even her other attributes are so sexual that you'll over look the muscular biceps.

As far as my affinity for Prince goes, he was never someone I swooned over. He was like a favorite nephew.  With me, it was all about the music and the lyrics and the performance, just like it was with Michael Jackson. He was entertaining to watch.  

Prince was androgynous as opposed to feminine  It's to his credit that he could wear eye-liner and high heels and not be sissified. He strutted and had swag.  His singing voice was a high falsetto but his speaking voice was low and seductive. He loved to flaunt his muscles and abs and flex his great buns.  He was a character; one of a kind. 

And Prince certainly didn't want for male fans who looked upon his appearance as just Prince being Prince.  Obviously his young female and gay groupies responded to his provocativeness because what they picked up from him was the raw sexuality he exuded, an appeal that transcended the ruffles and brocade and lip gloss and luxurious hair, and left behind a promise of a night in his bed.          

Pioneer, if you took away all of Prince's musical talents, celebrity, and money I'm not convinced women would be all that attracted to the way he looks.  I stood next to the man, he looked a older than his photographs, he was really petite, and had a ton of makeup on.

But again, and as Cynique suggests, it was the whole man, that that attracted women.  Women were sexually attracted Luther Vandross too, in fact Eddie Murphy joked about the appeal of these Brothers.

• Like 1

Cynique

Prince was androgynous as opposed to feminine It's to his credit that he could wear eye-liner and high heels and not be sissified. He strutted and had swag. His singing voice was a high falsetto but his speaking voice was low and seductive. He loved to flaunt his muscles and abs and flex his great buns. He was a character; one of a kind.

There are a few Black women in the public today that I could name who have masculine features and exhibit masculine behavior but because this site is so popular I don't want to be accused of insulting them so I'll refrain from using them as examples and use the drag queen Ru Paul.

I don't care HOW great a shape Ru Paul was in, how well he did his make up, how sexy he "catwalked", or how well he sang in a high feminine voice....there is NO WAY me or most other straight men would find him sexy!
Not in the least.
Comical maybe...but the masculinity he exhibits naturally is too much of a turn off.

For me adrogynous is not sexy....it's scary...lol.
For a woman to be half-way or "sometimes" feminine doesn't fly with me or most other straight men. Maybe for bi-sexual men who like both feminine and masculine features, but not with straight men. Which leads me to my point about the attraction of Prince.....

I guess I'm making a big deal out of this because I noticed that a lot of the girls that i knew growing up who liked Prince also seemed to find feminine and "cutesy" type boys attractive in general.
Which makes me wonder how many of them were really lesbian but in the closet or even in denial about their sexuality.