Review Request: Men Don't Like Ugly, Women Don't Like Broke

Guest Angela Benson

Guest Angela Benson

In Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, Steve Harvey helped women get inside the heads of men. In Men Don't Like Ugly, Woman Don't Like Broke, Angela Benson helps women get inside their own hearts to discover what they really want in a life partner.

Men Don’t Like Ugly, Women Don’t Like Broke provides practical, no-nonsense relationship advice for today’s woman. You’ll find yourself laughing, nodding your head in agreement, and shaking your fist in dismay as you read Angela Benson’s words of wisdom and share in the real-life experiences of her and her friends.

Because research shows that men tend to rank a woman’s physical appearance higher than other traits when looking for a mate, while women tend to put a man’s financial stability at the top, Men Don’t Like Ugly, Women Don’t Like Broke specifically guides women to navigate the issues of appearance and financial stability in romantic relationships. It does so through a series of nine chapter discussions, each ending with a personal activity for the reader and a series of discussion questions suitable for a women’s group. The paperback version also includes a series of Notes pages for personal reflections.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1. The MyMan List
Chapter 2. Making the MyMan List and Checking it Twice
Chapter 3. Financial Stability is Important
Chapter 4. The One With the Money Makes the Rules
Chapter 5. Don’t be Devalued by the Prenup
Chapter 6. Stop Listening to Your Biological Clock
Chapter 7. Get Your Look Right
Chapter 8. Character Matters
Chapter 9. Living Your Best Life Now

Men Don't Like Ugly, Women Don't Like Broke: What Women Need to Know about Love, Money and Relationships [select for image since I could not attach]

Angela Benson

ISBN13: 978-1533583512

July 1, 2016

Length: Approximately. 160 pages

ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=

THE Angela Benson!  Thanks for sharing information about your latest book ,which I just added to our website: http://aalbc.com/books/bookinfo.php?isbn13=9781533583512 Seems I was missing profile for you, but I remedied that as well ;) http://aalbc.com/authors/author.php?author_name=Angela+Benson

You actually dropped off my radar for a minute, but I see you've come back strong.

Were you trying to paste the image of your book's cover?

Angela,

This sounds like a book I not only should review, but study due to the relevance it has in my search for a mate. It speaks to the core issue (finance) in our results oriented, technology based 21st century existence.  The title is eye catching and easy to remember, I hope the cover does your subject justice. I wish you success. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the subject of this book. As an octogenarian, when I look back over my existence, and at life in general, I wonder about the assertion that a man with money who can presumably support a woman in the manner to which she has either become accustomed, or would like to be become accustomed is the goal of women looking for a mate. Some women might be enlightened enough to never underestimate the truism about the best things in life being free. In time, materialistic possession lose their sheen and there is something to be said for the simple things in life.  Or is there any thing worse than a man who has money but is a tight wad.   

The Gen-Xers and The Millennials would probably buy into this book's  premise because it takes time and experience to glean what makes for a fulfilled life. For the woman who, herself, has something to offer,  what takes priority over a big paycheck is someone with combination of great intellect and street smarts who has a great sense of humor that is enhanced by a sharp wit and is of good character; a nice appearance, - and this does not necessarily entail movie star looks, but just strong, symmetrical facial features and a body that has not been neglected. Finding all of these traits in a man who doesn't earn a 6-figure salary or wear Armani or drive a Mercedes is not to be lightly dismissed.  He can be looked upon as a partner to work with in the pursuit of a life that may be enriching in other areas besides financial ones, and this includes the one in the bedroom.

Of course, the argument can be made that a man who has all of the qualities I list isn't likely to be broke, not to mention being someone who is looking for a woman who is a hottie. 

Every gal is looking for her financially-secure Mister Right but finding a payday-to-payday soul mate to be your life companion could be a satisfying alternative.  Just some thoughts...

My late husband was an adequate provider who never bored me.  He thought I was cute.  We managed to stay married for 50 years.  We kinda got it right. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Angela Benson

Troy, It's good to be back.  Thanks for posting the review request for my book.  I'm sorry to be so late getting back here to check out the comments.

Angela

Guest Reply to KhefaNosakhere

KhefaNosakhere,

If you are willing to write a review, I would love to get a book to you.  I'm not sure how the process works as it may not be wise to post your address here.  Once I figure it out, I'll be back in touch.  It will probably be easier once my account is approved.

Angela

Guest Reply to Cynique

Cynique, I really appreciate your feedback.  It suggests that I need to do a better job of describing the content of the book.  In no way do I support the notion that a woman should look at a man's wallet first. The point I try to make in the book is that adhering to such simple notions of "I just want a pretty woman" or "I just want a rich man" is not wise.  In fact, I suggest that a woman has to look at the whole of a man, just like a man needs to look at the whole of a woman. 

It's okay, in my opinion, for a woman to consider a man's financial status, but that should never be the only consideration. Women just need to go into relationships with their eyes open.  They shouldn't be blinded by the cute guy or the rich guy.  In fact, I have a whole chapter on character and its importance and how to assess a person's character. In another chapter, I talk about relationships where the woman earns more than the man.  What I try to do is talk about these things, rather than pretend they don't matter or don't exist.  I also talk about a woman making sure that her inner beauty is reflected in outer self.  This doesn't mean there is one standard of beauty; it means that we all just have to project the beauty that is in us.

In other words, I agree with what you wrote to a large degree.  I'm just sorry that my book's title made it think I support some other ideas.  I would love to give you a copy to read if you're interested.

Angela Benson

• Like 1

Well, Angela, when you're in the business of selling your books, you want a provocative, eye-catching title, so I get that.  i also understand that an octogenarian like me is not your demograph.  It's a different world out there now from the way things were in my dating years, and I'm sure the current crop of mingling singles can relate to your advice. You don't owe me any explanations, but I do appreciate your gracious gesture of taking time to share your personal sentiments with me.  

Do your thing, girlfriend; the bottom line is an author's priority.  Thanks for your feedback on my feedback and good luck on making AALBC's best seller list!  :)