Book Review Request: "Nervous Conditions"

Guest CasemateIPM

Guest CasemateIPM

Hi AALBC,

I work in the marketing department of Casemate IPM, the US distributor for Ayebia Clarke Publishing. Ayebia specializes in African and Caribbean literature. I would be pleased if you would consider their book, Nervous Conditions, for review.

9780954702335_6.jpgTitle: Nervous Conditions

Author: Tsiti Dangarembga

ISBN: 9780954702335

Pub Date: December 2004

Blurb: A modern classic in the African literary canon and voted in the Top Ten Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century, this novel brings to the politics of decolonization theory the energy of women's rights. An extraordinarily well-crafted work, this book is a work of vision. Through its deft negotiation of race, class, gender and cultural change, it dramatizes the ‘nervousness' of the ‘postcolonial' conditions that bedevil us still. In Tambu and the women of her family, we African women see ourselves, whether at home or displaced, doing daily battle with our changing world with a mixture of tenacity, bewilderment and grace.

Thank you so much for considering this book for review.

Best Wishes!

Carlie

Guest CasemateIPM

• 2 weeks later...

Nervous Conditions is an excellent read. It was a required read for a postcolonial literature and theory class I took as a grad student, and it is still one of my favorite novels. Dangarembga examines the clash between cultural traditions and assimilation. The characters are vividly portrayed and the implications of blindly adopting European values is unapologetically addressed.