Links are Better Than "Likes" Thanks Grant Harper Reid

I ran into Grant Harper Reid at the Harlem Book fair last Saturday.  A couple of years ago we published, a review of his book Rythm for Sale.  I asked him to link to his page on AALBC.com and he did it immediately--from his homepage (screen shot below).  

I often lament the fact that reciprocal links (I link to your website and you link to mine) is a thing of the past--replaced by a drive to gather as many fans, followers, and likes on social media.  I've always asserted this change in our collective behavior has weakened mission driven independent sites and strengthened revenue driven corporate sites.  As the handful of massive sites gain strength and indie die off, the world web web becomes a less interesting place.

But I sense the tide is changing as authors like Grant are much more willing to link to something other than Amazon and social media sites.  Author Jewell Parker Rhodes supports and links to the bookseller Indiebound in her campaigns with us. Rhodes goes out her way to support indie platforms... There is hope for us after all :)

grant-harper-reid-shares-aalbc.jpg

• Like 1

Guest C.E.W.

I remember some very many years ago, when I worked in Harlem, Grant and I used to chat from time to time, because we are friends. One day he told me an amazing story about what he discovered about grandfather, Leonard Harper. He said that when he was researching about him, It was like finding a vast hidden treasure about black showmanship. The passion for finding more and more about his grandfather grew. He realized for the first time, that his grandfather was one of the greatest entertainer's in Harlem and the world. As the story about his grandfather unfolded, it became clear and evident that he was a leader, pioneer and centerpiece of the " Harlem Renaissance " . It only seemed natural for Dr. Grant Harper Reid to share his personal family treasure chest for the world to enjoy, in his incredible book that he wrote and entitled " Rhythm for Sale " . This book is share genius, as he tells the truth and nothing but the truth. By his grandfathers hand and spirit, he was handed down, entrusted and greatly blessed with a proud heritage of a generations worth of wealth, of ambition, talent and leadership. According to his grandson Grant, he lived for one purpose, and one purpose alone, and that was to please his beloved audiences. In befitting a Great Harlemite, a street was renamed in his Grandfather's honor at 132nd Street and Seventh Avenue. The street is renamed " Leonard Harper Way " . I had the privilege and the distinct honor to be invited by Grant to the street renaming ceremony, unvailing and reception. It was my pleasure to be in the presence of a wonderful family, friends, dignitaries, celebrities and the press. After the unvailing, Grant hosted a reception at  " Lorraines Place " where everyone had a ball. In essence, the culmination of this book made the street renaming possible. As we were enjoying some fried chicken, we all shared a toast to " Leonard Harper Way " .

Colin Wade

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Toni Ann

I've known Grant for many years. Great guy. He used to do locations on movies back in the day. His book is an amazing tribute to his grandfather and we're fortunate that he did that work, so the history could be preserved. Also, he succeeded in getting a street named after his grandfather--Leonard Harper Way--which is pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carolyn

I was pleasantly surprised to learn about Grant Harper Reid's grandfather the late great Leonard Harper.  I had not known about his talents or show business acumen.  Mr. Harper was a real treasure in the entertainment business having worked, choreographed and produced many well known performers and newcomers at the time.  It is gratifying to learn that his talent, hard work and his legacy will now not been forgotten, and now honored with a renamed street for LEONARD HARPER WAY at 132nd Street & A, C. Powell Boulevard.  Bravo Grant! 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 4:55 PM, Guest Toni Ann said:

I've known Grant for many years. Great guy. He used to do locations on movies back in the day. His book is an amazing tribute to his grandfather and we're fortunate that he did that work, so the history could be preserved. Also, he succeeded in getting a street named after his grandfather--Leonard Harper Way--which is pretty amazing. 

http://nuarchive.wbai.org/mp3/wbai_160806_060004mornec.mp3

Grant talks about Harlem of Yesteryear on WBAI.

On 7/25/2016 at 1:50 PM, Guest C.E.W. said:

I remember some very many years ago, when I worked in Harlem, Grant and I used to chat from time to time, because we are friends. One day he told me an amazing story about what he discovered about grandfather, Leonard Harper. He said that when he was researching about him, It was like finding a vast hidden treasure about black showmanship. The passion for finding more and more about his grandfather grew. He realized for the first time, that his grandfather was one of the greatest entertainer's in Harlem and the world. As the story about his grandfather unfolded, it became clear and evident that he was a leader, pioneer and centerpiece of the " Harlem Renaissance " . It only seemed natural for Dr. Grant Harper Reid to share his personal family treasure chest for the world to enjoy, in his incredible book that he wrote and entitled " Rhythm for Sale " . This book is share genius, as he tells the truth and nothing but the truth. By his grandfathers hand and spirit, he was handed down, entrusted and greatly blessed with a proud heritage of a generations worth of wealth, of ambition, talent and leadership. According to his grandson Grant, he lived for one purpose, and one purpose alone, and that was to please his beloved audiences. In befitting a Great Harlemite, a street was renamed in his Grandfather's honor at 132nd Street and Seventh Avenue. The street is renamed " Leonard Harper Way " . I had the privilege and the distinct honor to be invited by Grant to the street renaming ceremony, unvailing and reception. It was my pleasure to be in the presence of a wonderful family, friends, dignitaries, celebrities and the press. After the unvailing, Grant hosted a reception at  " Lorraines Place " where everyone had a ball. In essence, the culmination of this book made the street renaming possible. As we were enjoying some fried chicken, we all shared a toast to " Leonard Harper Way " .

Colin Wade

http://nuarchive.wbai.org/mp3/wbai_160806_060004mornec.mp3

Grant the author of "Rhythm For Sale" talks about Harlem of Yesteryear on radio station WBAI