The Results of a Decade on Social Media

Not a bit. I've been analyzing this for a while. Not with the depth that you have by any means, but there really isn't any surprise at all. I'm sure for other people it will be a shock. Unfortunately they will compare your stats to the stats of public personas and they will continue to copy those in the public eye and share and give away their power.

Google+ seems to be a complete failure as a social media network.  It simply never caught on.  

Everyone says, "Friend me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter." But no one ever mentions Google+.  People frequently use the Facebook and Twitter Icons, but they rarely use the Google+ icon.  Those two things did more to elevate both of those platforms than anything else.  Google+ is probably a better service, but it is Facebook's world and hype trumps technology.

• Like 1

Google+ is no longer managed as a social platform. It is a gateway to live streaming with Google hangouts. It is also a part of the algorithm for search with Google.  You're right though, it's the hype around certain brands that makes them valuable. I was explaining to someone why the economy is built on a shaky platform. We talked about this a while back. 

People are trading Twitter and Facebook on the stock market!!!!!! I'm using exclamation points because it's insane to invest money into the stock for a company that can't liquidate anything!!!!! There is no physical product that is being traded! It's absolutely insane. It's the same as 2008 when investors where dropping big money on bad loans. There isn't a product that can be liquidated or sold or physically exchanged so the idea that social media internet companies are billion dollar industries that are publicly traded is insane.

Social media has absolutely zero value as a product and the effect of social is shaky because it is not a real "thing". 

Yeah if the valuation drops and the stock price tanks--it is a wrap for the companies.

But all the major players, have already extracted an incredible amount of wealth, they and their descendants are set for life--even if the companies go bankrupt tomorrow. Everything from here on out is gravy.

I have not researched these companies, but they probably own tons of real estate, physical assets, boatloads of cash, and no debt.  Plus they have all of our data. The amount of information they have on us is mind blowing; it may be their most valuable asset.  I would not say they have zero value.

• Like 2

The stock is based on information. The products that they've purchased, are purchases and not assets. The items purchased by the companies are often other internet companies that only have value if the people continue to supply information. That is a very shaky platform. It's not like a car company that struggles and can liquidate assets. These companies are often made up of 10-20 people and there isn't a tangible product that can actually be packaged and sold.

I say all of this to state that you're right about power and influence. It's controlled by the people and the people are the product. Social allows the people to be self -indulgent and the positive reinforcement of a like keeps them on the product providing search habits and desires which are then monetized. It diminishes the reach of other platforms that don't have the ability to aggregate data and it hurts the economy because there is nothing really to trade and sell. The primary point of capitalism and marketing is a tangible product. The US barely makes any tangible products. Social represents this country perfectly.

• Like 1

If you really want to be depressed.  We don't even benefit from the shaky economy you described. The technology is developed largely by foreigners. The best and the brightest from around the world come to the US and get great jobs. Foreigners dominate our PhD programs in the stem fields.

Americans--and definitely Black people--are stuck out in the cold.  One reason is that our education system is too shitty to produce people with the ability to actually enter these high tech fields.

Black folks run around talking about having the "power" we have on Twitter because we dominate the sharing of nonsense, meanwhile we are too dumb to even work for Twitter and collect a paycheck! 

So when folks from India and China, get a clue and go back to their countries the U.S. is screwed.  Trump wants to close the borders, he better consider what that means because we will don't have the intellectual capital to run the country let alone develop technology.  We've too busy playing Pokemon Go.

Oh, it is too early to get me started this morning :angry:

• Like 1

These are just the facts and you're right. The thing is it would take our students 8 years of school to successfully do it with the remedial classes, but if our kids took the remedials at 2 year schools, added an Associates of Engineering/Comp Sciences (pick up an internship or start coding), use TAG programs (transfer guarantee), complete the final two years of Engineering/Comp Sciences, in 6-8 years we would be able to do these things... That should make you feel better. There is a course of study that is realistic and cost effective. The options are there, but we simply don't pursue that aspect due to ignorance. Even the worst student can complete the remedial courses at a JUCO and build the skills to attain the degree. It would take 2-4 years at a two year school, but the payoff would be incredible.