What would a Donald Trump presidency be like?

I think that we would have another 911 attack given his hatred against Muslims.We would have some kind of war because he seems to like nuclear weapons and encourages some countries to build them.We wouldn't be able to use our freedom of speech rights because he told Chief Justice Gingrich to resign for exercising her freedom of speech rights.We probably will have another Civil War with Mexico like the Alamo years ago in Texas.I learned a lot at the DNC Convention.I know Donald Trump was a "pig" but I didn't know he was that greedy that he wouldn't pay his workers.Now he's crying about people telling lies on him.On top of being stupid, ignorant and arrogant, he's too weak to be president of the U.S.

I don't think he will be elected, but if he is I don't think much would change. The perception of the country would suffer, but our day to day existence would continue forward as is. You would keep doing what you do and I would keep doing what I do. The US Government is a machine that runs regardless of what the President does. Those in power will maintain their control and those who are consumers will continue to consume. The average American is so far away from what happens at that level that they will never be affected by the actions of that position directly.

• Like 1

Except where employment is concerned.  Employed people's lives will be changed if they lose their jobs due to the economy and unemployed people's lives will be changed if they find a job due to the economy.  The President, along with the advise and consent of Congress, is instrumental in the state of the economy.  FDR certainly was during The Depression..   

• Like 1

The same people (not the president) who run the country will continue to run it.  12 years of Bushs and a potential for 16 years of Clintons will make very little difference for the masses of people both Black and white.

If you are set financially you will probably be fine.  If you are struggling now you probably continue to struggle; your children will find it very difficult to do much better than you are doing, which is why white folks are having fits right about now, wanting things to go back to the way they were...

Many of us feel America is the greatest country in the world.  If you a wealthy it probably is, but if you are not wealthy, like vast majority of people who live here, it is a completely different story, and if you are poor, well your situation is really quite sad.

I watched Michael Moore's latest film last night, Where to Invade Next.  It is worth checking out. The changes needed in American go way beyond anything Hillary or Donald will or even can do.

Lol....actually, Michael Moore thinks Trump will get in!
He knows how misinformed and easily manipulated so many of the voters are and doesn't have a lot of confidence in them making the right decision.

Being from Michigan, I'm sure he...like me...remembers the Reagan Democrats.
Unionized and traditionally Democrat factory workers who deliberately voted for Ronald Reagan because they believed that he was going to protect them from "evil Communists".

I think President Obama said something very powerful in his speech that if the Democrats really want to capture the "middle class" and White working class voters they'll continue to drill the point over and over again.

He said that there is no need to MAKE America great.....America is ALREADY a great nation.

All this time I've heard the Trump campaing use the term "Make America great again" and it wasn't until listening to the President's speech that I realize the irony in so many conservitive Republicans who claim America is the greatest nation on Earth going around basically insinuating that America isn't great anymore and has to be MADE great again.

@TroySo if Bernie  had become president, would the country still be run by the "same people" who are running it now?  Would he have become neutralized and crippled by this cabal of evil white men?  Would his presidency have been anything but a folly??

Hillary Clinton has all the money she'll ever need in life.  What does she have to gain at her age by selling out to the one percenters?. She is power hungry, yes, but I tend to think that she wants to exert this power in a way that will enable her to go down in history as the woman president who fixed America.  

The infra structure of this country is deteriorating and the climate is wreaking havoc. This situation is the key to creating jobs, and industries. Clinton at least has a plan to improve the economy which is the holy grail of a stable nation.    

America is a "great" country but is not a "good" country".  It is great by virtue of being the best of the worst.  And its goodness is lacking because huge numbers of its bigoted citizens are petty, greedy, xenophobic, fascistic, religious hypocrites who are the constituency of Trump. Humans are not necessarily humanitarians.

I continue to believe that those smug vindictive people who are mired in the past and who plan to sit out the election or vote for either Trump or an independent candidate are so immersed in their pseudo noble principles that they are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces, all because they want a saint for president.  The Supreme court needs a liberal majority to keep this country from reverting to the past and this calls for a Democrat POTUS 

Whatever the outcome, in November, Americans will get what they deserve.  

If the only choices were only Hillary or Donald.  I would pick Hillary.  But there are other choices and right now I'm planning to exercise one of those.

Another option is to stay at home.  I would be willing to bet right now that come November if you added up all the eligible voters who; (1) did not vote, (2) voted for the 3rd party candidate, or (3) voted for Trump, it would greatly exceed the number of voters who vote for Hillary--and many of hillary voters would do so holding their noses.

While I would never vote for Trump, I'm not so quick to dismiss his supporters as stupid or racist.  I think that is a simplistic perspective, and ignores that fact the the middle class is suffering.  Even the life expectancy of white boys is going down

Despite all the rhetoric from the Dems about how great America is doing, one could make a VERY strong argument that we are worse off today that during the great depression.  Declining life expectancy, a decent education out of reach for most, high wealth disparity, millions of home foreclosures...

Again for those of us are doing OK, relatively speaking, it is easy to ignore the masses for people trapped in a cycle of deepening poverty.  I won't even get started on the havoc we level on foreign shores...

But to answer your question @Cynique, I think Bernie would have probably done more for the masses that Hillary would and less beholden to the oligarchy--at least Bernie talked a good game. But we'll never know...

Does Trump have a plan for alleviating the woes of the middle class????  And just how would Independent  Bernie have accomplished anything he promised considering the Congress he would be dealing with? And why is Hillary beholden to the Oligarchy? What will they do to her if she distances herself from them?  Hillary detractors, blinded by their hate, are equally guilty of spouting a lot of patented rhetoric, never giving her credit for anything. Trump supporters may not be stupid, but they are, at the core of their hearts, racist.

When Dems say America is doing great, their goal of doing the greatest good for the greatest number is what you can take away from their convention. When Trump placated his followers by bellowing that he wants to make America great again, this is a code phrase for saying he wants to reverse all the progress Liberals have foisted upon them, and return to the good old days of racism, homophobia, misogyny, fascism and Evangelical zealotry.  

I still say, the state of the economy is what will determine whether a person will be affected by the election. Losing a job or finding one has a great impact on the lives of the rank and file.  

Well I'm sure Trump has supporters that are racists, and I would definitely put racists in the dumb category.  But Hillary non-supporters don't make them automatically racist, stupid or filled with hate for her.  

When we all supported Obama over Hillary it was not because of hate or stupidity--though race almost certainly was factor.

I'm not aware of any plan that Donald has the only thing I know about what he says are the sounds bites the media promotes to such an extent that they are unavoidable. Still the only point I'm making is that his appeal does not suprise me an is understandable given the shitstorm poor people face in this country.

How can one argue that Dems are "...doing the greatest good for the greatest number..." when wealth inequality is at a virtual all-time high in America?

"Losing a job" is the essence of what brought Obama into office. Remember millions of white folks voted for Obama; his imagery of "hope and change" resonated with a nation.  

But the nation is now disillusioned after getting more of the same; despite having Obama at the helm.  Hillary, for many, is a continuation of this--whether it is true or not matters little.  Trump is a desperation move by an angry, disaffected, and struggling population... this is what breeds racism amongst the uneducated.

How else would you explain the fact that Trump actually has a chance to win?

Even though one can objectively say that Hillary as far and away more qualified to be president than Trump, this does not matter.  People are looking for something different.  Bernie, Trump, and Obama all had "something different" this going for them.

I said it is the GOAL of the Dems to do the greatest good for the greatest number because obviously this needs to be done, and the idea that this is a country where one of its political parties strives for this, in their minds, is what makes America "already great".  

Everybody has figured out that Trump attracts the discontented, and the discontented don't like the way things are because being politically-correct cramps their style and generates their resentment.They want to continue to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, fascistic, gun-toting, blue-lives-matter, Christian hypocrites.  The poor whites who Trump attracts in great numbers are so racist and anti-liberal that they faithfully vote Republican, the party that is against their best interests. They are their own worst enemy, not Obama and the Dems whose efforts at reform were blocked by the Republican senate. 

This election is fraught with emotion and misconception more than truth and reality, and is obviously a reflection of the country at large. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Queen X
On 7/29/2016 at 0:46 PM, Queen X said:

I think that we would have another 911 attack given his hatred against Muslims.We would have some kind of war because he seems to like nuclear weapons and encourages some countries to build them.We wouldn't be able to use our freedom of speech rights because he told Chief Justice Gingrich to resign for exercising her freedom of speech rights.We probably will have another Civil War with Mexico like the Alamo years ago in Texas.I learned a lot at the DNC Convention.I know Donald Trump was a "pig" but I didn't know he was that greedy that he wouldn't pay his workers.Now he's crying about people telling lies on him.On top of being stupid, ignorant and arrogant, he's too weak to be president of the U.S.

Let me thank everybody for responding.I specifically enjoyed Cynique because yes "great"doesn't mean "good".Nazi Germany was great.Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump are both great men with a lot in common, but they are not good men.Things will definitely change but just get worse. Another thing.Police and Community relations are bad.That will only get worse.

• Like 1