New movie, South Side With You.

New Movie About Barack Obama Meeting Michelle, Their Early Romance, Movie Called South Side With You. Black Man Portraying  Barack Obama Close Enough Likeness  Seeing The, Commercial. Black Female On The U.S. Women Water Polo Team, That A Surprise . Black Female Swimmer ,winning  Medal. Last Olympics Had A Black Swimmer On The U.S. Men Swimming Team. Assuming The Men Basketball Team Will Win Gold, Some Big Egos..

I wonder why they did not call it, "Hyde Park with You?"

Looks like a cute love story though.  I'm surprised I had not heard of this film before now. 

Good thing the Black swimmers have a cap on --otherwise Black Twitter would trash them too. We'd have more champion swimmers if our sisters were not so worried about their hair.

The Olympics is racing toward irrelevancy with the doping scandals, politics, the adverse impact on the hosting nations, and Gabby's hair, it does not seem to be worth the effort. The world championships in each sport if good enough.  

Black male swimmers competed in and earned medals in the 2012 Olympics.  Tiger Woods, who preferred to called multi-racial,  was not the first professional golfer of color. In 1975, famous trail-blazer, Lee Elder, became the first black to compete in the Masters and continued making the rounds of the PGA circuit until he retired in 2005.  

Troy

I'm not sure if you were joking a bit with your question, but perhaps they didn't feel the public would be familiar with Chicago's neighborhoods enough to know what or where Hyde Park was.

Plus there's something to be said about the psychological effect of the wording of the title.
You know the term "South Side" like "Harlem" or "Watts" evokes all types of images and perceptions of Blackness and Black culture.

If you're just meeting me and I told you I came from Chicago's SOUTH SIDE you're going to assume certain things and look at me in a certain way that you wouldn't have if I told you I came from...say...Chicago's Roger's Park.

Sara

More to your point about Black people having been such great swimmers in the past.

My father was from the deep South and used to tell me that almost all the Black boys growing up down south in the rural areas could swim. It wasn't until he came up North that he found so many Black folks who couldn't swim....lol.

As you probably know, they've been systematically REMOVING swimming pools from many innercity schools (and removing the schools themselves in many cases) and no longer teaching Black children how to swim.
Like they've been removing music, art, and other activities that contribute to a more well rounded education.

All they're focusing on in many urban schools both public and charter are STATE TESTS....that's it.

So while they're learning swimming, diving, lacrosse, fencing, and all sorts of other activities out in the suburban schools......the inner city schools don't even have swimming pools anymore.

Speaking of the success of our sistas at the olympics.............

That Simone Biles is one fine little lady!
Deceptively fine.....because I know she's probably as strong as a lion and could probably rip the average boy her age to pieces.

A friend of mine gets at me telling me that I shouldn't talk like that about her because she's young enough to be my daughter.
I tell her.....yeah....but she AIN'T.

I'm trying to figure out what's up with her and her "crush" on Zac Ephron.
All those muscular fit brothers running and doing gymnastics and she's jumping up and down over some cat named "Zac"???

Although it hasn't been talked about in the media, I'm almost sure that Biles' success as well as her looks and popularity is making Gabby feel some sort of "way".

• Like 2

No Pioneer I meant what I wrote.  As you mentioned "South Side" would be familiar to many--as a Black urban ghetto.  There is nothing Ghetto about the Obama's sensibilities, upbringing or relationship.  Why would Hollywood try to project that image?  

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'm trying to figure out what's up with her and her "crush" on Zac Ephron.
All those muscular fit brothers running and doing gymnastics and she's jumping up and down over some cat named "Zac"???

Simone has become anglicized.  Her hair may be black but her vibe is "white-girl".  She did have the good graces to not fawn over Zac when he showed up backstage at the Olympics, acting like a goof ball, apparently expecting her to be ecstatic, but she just gave him a shy hug and stepped back.  

The NBA hoopsters didn't show any restraint in cheering on the scantily-clad Amazons on the Women's Volley ball team.  Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps were having a contest to see who could be the biggest ham, and they both deserved gold medals for grandstanding.  And once again America's men relay team messed up with the baton pass causing them to be disqualified. Fortunately the team running another men's relay event came through and won, as did the women relay teams.  Black athletes really gave a good accounting of themselves in the Olympics this year. There was even a black dude who ran for Japan, the offspring of a Japanese mother and black father. Gaby did "medal" in her events, so doesn't have to hang her head, get her hair done or place her hand over her heart during the national anthem.  She can thumb her nose at her critics, however. 

Troy 

I don't know about other's, but when I think of the South side of Chicago I don't necessarily think of ghetto or something negative. I just think of a lot of Black people in houses and Black businesses.

Remember though, Barack's pre-presidential image was more decorated by his community organizing creditials that he earned (or atleast acquired) while active in Chicago's Black communities....more so than his academic, legislative, or even familial background.

But you know how Americans (of ALL races) love "rags to riches" stories!
They love the underdog success tales.
They like hearing stories about average people or atleast people from average or below average backgrounds finding success in life whether it's in romance or finance.
If they had promoted the movie as 2 Black professionals of above average intelligence living in an upscale neighborhood who ended up meeting eachother at their good well paying jobs....do you think it would attract much of an audience?
Much of their targeted audience consists of working class Black folks and those from the lower end of their professions who are struggling to pay the rent and hold down the jobs they got.
They wanna dream a little....lol.

I'm still angry about the "8 Mile" movie which lied all the way through the film portraying Eminem as a struggling White rapper who came from a trailer park in Detroit.
For one thing there are no trailer parks in Detroit, and 2nd and most important Eminem isn't even from Detroit....he's from Kansas.
Hollywood does what it wants to do and relies on the ignorance of the public for assistance.

But you know how Hollywood likes to manipulate the facts and embellish stories for the psychological effect of making the average person watching it fantasize themselves being in that very situation and making it big like the people they admire.

Cynique

I can't argue with you over the basketball team and their behavior, I really didn't see it.
Unless you're talking about a particular incident....I think that Usain is actually just being his very charismatic self.
He's a tall good looking (can I say that as man?) brother who puts on a show for the crowd and they love it and can't get enough.

3000.jpg

Which is again, why I can't figure out why I don't hear about more of these olympic women talking about having a crush on HIM instead of some "Zach Ephron" character.

I've heard it before in the past said by older men, but now I'm starting to really believe there is some sort of attempt to brainwash our young women into finding femininity and "boyishness" more attractive than raw masculinity.
They say it started with Elvis and how the media promoted this "pretty" looks and hair over the more masculine John Wayne.

About that "white girl" vibe........
Perhaps you're right.
But I think it's kind of a shame that it's gotten to the point in our community today that when you see a Black girl who's clean, wholesome, and healthy with a wonderful smile and wonderful attitude....we associate it with White girls.
I'm not saying YOU'RE doing this.
But I'm saying, I see it in society where being "Black" in America often means being sloppy, careless, and lazy in speech and behavior.  Too often when Black people want to improve themselves they have to leave the Black neighborhood and their Black friends and get with the "white folks"....lol.
You wanna eat right?
Leave the ghetto and hang out at the Whole Foods market in the wealthy White suburbs.
Wanna get in shape?
Leave them sistaz alone and get with them White womenz and start doing yoga...in a few days you'll be carrying around a rolled up yoga mat tucked under your arms and acting White...lol

Again, this is even more a reason why we need to develop our own cultural norms and standards so that when we succeed we won't be accused of acting or being White "out of character" for our race, but just another example of Black exemplary achievement.

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

About that "white girl" vibe........
Perhaps you're right.
But I think it's kind of a shame that it's gotten to the point in our community today that when you see a Black girl who's clean, wholesome, and healthy with a wonderful smile and wonderful attitude....we associate it with White girls.

When I say a "white-girl vibe" it's not about using proper grammar or presenting oneself in a wholesome way.  It's a very subtle thing.  Simone is perky, and the cadence and timbre of her speech is in the white teen age girl vernacular.  I'd be willing to bet that she is also a Taylor Swift fan.  Just an observation on my part and I'm sure she couldn't care less about my assessment.  Obviously, with her fame and fortune she can act anyway she wants.  

New Rules:

• No more quoting quotes of quotes.
  • If a quote is used in a response the actual response must be longer than the quote
  • When conversation degrade into a back and forth name calling they will be locked.

I will just remove comments that don't comply.  Application of the above rules are at my sole discretion,

• Like 2

Cynique

When I say a "white-girl vibe" it's not about using proper grammar or presenting oneself in a wholesome way. It's a very subtle thing. Simone is perky, and the cadence and timbre of her speech is in the white teen age girl vernacular. I'd be willing to bet that she is also a Taylor Swift fan. Just an observation on my part and I'm sure she couldn't care less about my assessment. Obviously, with her fame and fortune she can act anyway she wants.

I know what you meant.
It's that overly cheerful almost "fake" type of peppiness that White Americans are world renown for.

Also making declarative statements with a QUESTIONING inflexion on the end of it is clearly a post modern White youth thing along with beginning statements with "So...".

People are often a product of their environment and being so close to her White teammates....
Whether she actually "dug"...I mean was spiritually moved....by Taylor Swift or Black Keys or any other type of music listened to by a predominately White American audience, matters less than the fact that she has to know something about these artists and other important aspects of middle class White American culture just to get along with her fellow teammates as well as the various circles she has to move in.

What I like about her is the cheerful and seemingly positive disposition regardless of the cultural/ethnic package it's presented in.
If she spoke in Ebonics and did her performance routines to rap music I'd be just as proud of her as long as she had that million dollar smile and upbeat attitude because I know that type of positivity is sorely needed in the Black community.

I'm not saying Black people should walk around with a fake grin on their faces all day or pretend to feel other than they do. But even among eachother if we would be kinder, smile more, get rid of the "hardness" and the walls of defense we often put up around eachother and act more cheerful and dare I say "gentle" around eachother, I think there would be a lot more peace in our communities.

Back when I thought it was wise to "stay" with women, what used to get me was how the woman I met at work who was all smiles, peppy, with a high feminine voice could change so quickly once she got home, and turns into a loud, cussing, hoarse voiced, ghetto diva.

• Like 1

LOL.  You seem to have led a very interesting life, Pioneer.  And I don't feel the need to disparage the recollections you share with this board from time to time.  

I've also noticed how young people nowadays precede their answer to a question with the word "so".  What's up with that?  i guess it has replaced starting a sentence with "like".  

I think there is also a "black vibe" and President Obama personifies it.  For want of a better description, I would label it as an essence of hipness.  He speaks perfect grammar, is highly intelligent, and clean cut in appearance, but if you didn't know him, and didn't see him, and just heard him talk, at some point you could detect that he is black.  His speech pattern is rhythmic and effortless.  When you do see him, his demeanor is also hip.  He has swag.  I'd also say the same thing about Michelle.  She is refined but listening to her speak, if I didn't see or know her, at some point, I would guess her to be black.   But, maybe that's just me.  .  

Cynique

I seriously think it's a meme.
I think social engineers get together from time to time and put out new words and phrases just to see how much influence they have over people.

They start showing movies or producing television shows where people are told to talk a certain way and then they sit back and wait to see how quickly it influences the public and people actually begin to talk that way.

I also agree that Obama has a Black vibe or swag.
He has a lot of "coolness" about himself and tremendous confidence that comes with being as brilliant as he is intellectually.
The coolness and brilliance work together to generate powerful charisma.

You can see how he struts when he walks as well as how he gives men "bro hugs" shaking one hand while embracing with the other that Black men started and others are just now catching up to.

No other president would have even ATTEMPTED this:

• Like 1

The brother makes a good Barack, but that sista looks nothing like Michelle....lol.

Michelle is the most beautiful woman in the world, but I always thought she had a bangin' body. One of the reasons I wanted Obama to become president was so I could check out Michelle for 4 or 8 years.

You'd think that after so many people complained about a Latina playing Nina Simone in the movies earlier this year Hollywood....especially Black Hollywood..would have learned a lesson.
Now you see them doing the same shit; finding actresses who look nothing like the famous Black women they're attempting to portray.

Then again.....
The brother who played Eazy E in "Straight Outta Compton" looked nothing like the real Eazy either.

@Pioneer1Independent movie makers usually need a big name star to get backers for their movies based on real people. Some times these stars look nothing like the people they're portraying but they just try to capture their essence.  And, of course, others making movies with a shoestring budget have to go with unknown actors who don't command big salaries and fit the type of role producers are looking for.