And the beat goes on...

I see it differently; Kaepernicks gesture has legs because the media choose to give it legs. They decide what is appropriate for us to know and what is important.  This decision has nothing to do with what will be most effective, or what best services our community,  It has to do with was is easiest capture and likely to draw the most attention.  

Pledging a million is a good gesture, but actually giving a million dollars to an entity that will accomplish something of consequence is an entirely different thing--let me know when there something substantive has been accomplished.  I'm sure the media will not cover that ... they have a 5 minute attention span, Colin will be out of the league, and all of this will have been forgotten in a season.

Black people accomplish things, but the media don't tend to cover these accomplisments.  Again they are fixed on covering the empty efforts, comments and activities of celebrities.

• Like 1

We do see it differently.  People who demonstrate to call attention to their grievance, depend on the media to spread the word. The media becomes the instrument of protesters seeking a broad audience for the dramatizing of their cause. So it is used as much as it uses.   And, how do you think you know about black people doing good things if this wasn't reported in the media?  The good work doesn't make headlines because accomplishing  things is not an agitation. These achievements, however, may very well be the final stage of a movement that began with drastic measures of public protest!

Celebrities and the causes they embrace command attention because the public is riveted by what famous folks do, and when what they do benefits a worthy cause, then how bad can this be?  Martin Luther King's March on Washington was a massive gesture of protest that was saturated with celebrities.  Media from all over the world covered this dramatic event, which was what its organizers hoped for. Without extensive media coverage, the desired impact would not have been made. 

To this day, the march on Washington still generates news because hearing about it is what the people want, and the media gives people what they want. The masses leading their day-to-day, humdrum lives, would rather hear about the humanitarian activities of celebs than when the Salvation Army will be picking up old articles for resale in their outlets. 

• Like 1

I just contributed to a day long post-a-thon about my desire to keep my inbox free of videos about the killing of Black folks. Cynique and I actually committed a major AALBC error by creating a discourse on Facebook (The Shame!). I just had a former student state that Facebook is empowering those who feel hurt and it is enabling people to share and build a movement. This is what Cynique is saying and to an extent I agree. What I told the guy though is that any form of media that is attempting to sell your information and sell you on advertising is never going to really empower you. It will keep you emotionally engaged to drive revenue to its shareholders. This was the most talking I've done on Facebook in a while. I find it interesting how people have literally made Facebook the home of the movement and deem anyone not willing to promote images of death and the rhetoric attached to it, as not for the people. It really is a comment on the direction we all are headed when a digital platform that can shift the movement at will is the home of the movement. I realize now that people aren't as "woke" as they appear.

Actually, I have never thought of FaceBook  as a platform for starting a movement.  To me,  it is a place to learn and comment not only about what's current in the world at large, but in one's own personal sphere. I have never tried to recruit anybody for a cause on FaceBook or had anybody there ever recruit me for one.  I do argue on FaceBook with people who express points of view that I disagree with and these exchanges usually involve religion and politics. I find such encounters stimulating but they've never inspired me to go on a crusade on their behalf.  From what I can gather, Twitter would be the more likely place to launch an on-line movement.  

What I am specifically defending, is Colin Kaepernick's form of protest. His job provided him with access to a large audience and his celebrity automatically commanded the free media attention which he has taken advantage of, and made waves in the process. So I think his action had credibility, and the civil rights movement is what set the precedence for this attention-getting tactic.  

What I can deduce from the vocal critics of FaceBook and Twitter is not so much what these entities do, but who enables them to do it. Apparently, if it were black monopolies instead of white conglomerates exploiting and capitalizing off of black folks via these forums, then this would be acceptable because it would be putting money and power in the hands of black profiteers. So it's an issue not so much about integrity as it is about keeping the capital and influence derived from exploiting blacks in the possession of their own people.  I am assuming the rationale for this would be that providing a place for black folks to bitch and bicker and promote and plug would provide jobs for others blacks.   Whatever...  

• Like 1

First, the idea that mainstream/social media is needed to spread the word about what we do is the problem that I'm pointing out--and let's be clear this is a serious it is a problem.  

You see the mainstream/social media can never be an instrument of our empowerment, indeed it is most efficient at doing the exact opposite; which it is currently accomplishing very well.

If Black folks ran the media, or even a portion of it reflective our our population, that does not mean they will behave any differently than the mainstream media.  BET was a perfect example of this.  What we do know however is that if Black people are to be properly served Black people will need to do it. We are the only ones who have ever done it.

Cynique, I know you are not equating the March on Washington with Colin's kneeling on the sidelines.  But given the media's reaction I could see why one might perceive the two as equivalent.  If I had the resources I would see just how much coverage each event got during it's time.  I strongly suspect Colin's kneeling is getting far more coverage than the MOW.

Cynique do you know the name of the president of the NAACP?  Do you think any Black person not working for the organization does?  Do you think it matters?  Are we better off not knowing anything about the NAACP and it's activities, and knowing all about some ultimately meaningless gesture of a 2nd string quarterback?

Time Magazine are not going to put the president of the NAACP on the cover its magazine, indeed we'd be lucky to read anything about the NAACP in Time.

Our lack of a Black media is one reason organizations, like the NAACP, are not nearly as effective as they could be.  

Chris I know you are joking but you do more for our empowerment than most.  I'm sure you won't allow yourself to be completely exploited by Facebook. ;-)

• Like 1

I agree with Cynique that Facebook is a place of dialogue. Troy is right though, the movements now are based in rhetoric created on Facebook and people really think that sharing these posts is a vital component of the movement. They feel that they are enlightening people and empowering those who may not be aware of the issues going on. They also feel that if you aren't participating in this type of promotion that you aren't a person of the people. It's absurd, but a sign of the times.

The instant gratification of Facebook is why a lot of work isn't getting done in the community because there is now a perception that people are doing work when nothing is really taking place. There isn't any development of new media platforms by Blacks and this means that there isn't any development of small business in a sector that is seeing major money by other cultures. We are our own enemy because we don't understand the new elements of capitalism and how the internet is one of the only real commodities anyone has to earn and become financially empowered. It's crazy that I just wrote that sentence because I'm saying that the only way to earn money is through internet ventures, but it's true.

• Like 1

I still refuse to underestimate the effect of black people using the media to get their message out. There are trade-offs involved in this equation.  Time Magazine puts Kaepernick's picture on its front cover to sell issues, and publicizing Kaepernik's gesture keeps a dialogue going in regard to the empty words of the national anthem which was written by Francis Scott Key, a slave owner.  And speaking of empty words, "empowerment" falls into this category because it is in the eye of the beholder.  It is a word that needs to be put into context instead of being reserved for describing a mega position.  Blacks can become empowered during small scale situations where they simply manage to gain the upper hand. Small victories are better than the inertia that results from waiting for blacks to flex their muscles on a large scale.

If the NAACP and the Urban League wanted their leaders and deeds made known, all they'd have to do is to use FaceBook and Twitter to publicize this.  They've apparently chosen to go about their work quietly, greatly dependent on the financial assistance they've always received from corporations and philanthropic foundations that are white.    

• Like 1

I think my issue is that the introduction of an idea on Facebook happens among people who chose to be connected to you. More than likely those people know what you are like or they have an idea of who you are, so sharing info becomes redundant and accomplishes very little. It does get the message out, but only in a temporary fashion. More important only "trigger" or "controversial" topics gain enough interaction to keep a Facebook post relevant for longer than five minutes. 

For example, I posted a comment that said I didn't want to get any inboxes about anymore shootings. That post generated over ten hours of interaction. I shared a great video about a change in discipline at a school that decreased suspensions and the interaction was with you Cynique and about 5 other people.

I think that's the problem. People are very selective about what they deem interesting and important and very often the only thing that will have legs on Facebook is something that is overtly emotional. Social Media has its value, and like anything there are always going to be positives and negatives.

• Like 1

Cynique, both the Urban League and the NAACP have Facebook pages; and like the vast majority of Facebook brand pages, these pages get very little traction.  

If these organizations expended the resources (i.e. money because Facebook is pay to play for brands) necessary to increase engagement on they would take them away from somewhere else which further diminishes the impact of the organization.  Of course increased engagement of Facebook's does not necessarily translate into more constructive action or communication of important information. The stuff that gets the most traction is generally the "click-baity" stuff.  Do you see the problem?

Even for the stuff I post, maybe one out of 100 (I have not took the time to take an actual count), gains any real traction.  For now, the time I invest and what I get in return is worth my effort.  In 6 months it may not be.  In a year Facebook could be replaced by the next shiny thing. 

When my Facebook posts gain traction, it does so because others have shared it in mass.  So those of you who click the share button from time to time, thank you.

Also lets be clear about the media; Kaepernick did not "use" the media.  Time magazine used him, as Cynique wrote, to sell issues, or more precisely to make money.  I don't buy into the notion that a constructive dialog will take place, or more importantly that anything will come of Kaepernick being on the cover of the magazine.  Did any of us read the Time article, or was the cover basically a  semi-viral-meme floating around the WWW which is how I discovered it?

In order for Black folks to make any collective progress, as opposed to a handful of exceptions, we will have to work together.  That is the only way we will make progress.  

Waiting around for the government to do the right thing is naive and obviously does not work. The government only helps when we are organized; and we have not been organized for more than 1/2 a century in this country.

• Like 1

Well, if the government isn't going to do "it" and black folks have never gotten out of the talking stage of doing "it, then the media is who you have to go into cahoots with.  You scratch its back, and it scratches yours.  You get a vast amount of attention for whatever you want to communicate, and the media profits from the traffic you generate.  It's the back-up Plan C, since Plan A and B have no traction.   Calling attention to your cause is the first step in a long process. It's up to black folks to take things to the next level after a grievance is publicized by using the media to do this.  IMO  

• Like 1