Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize for Literature?!

Troy

Y'all know I don't do Facebook, but the way Facebook works you can't help but look at your wall.  Facebook does a great job at showing me thing that would engage me, someones I can't resist, but most of the time I win the battle...

Today I noticed a ton of arguing amongst the Black literati, you know the academics and writers of literature. Apparently some of them felt slighted over Bob Dylan winning a Nobel Prize—for literature no less.  Much of the arguing centered around all the great Black talent that was surely overlooked in order to justify giving Dylan the award.

It took a bit of restraint for me to not weigh in.  I find it quite pathetic that we give europeans, so much power over defining who our important writers are.  Yeah I know Dylan got $900K for the honor, but who gives a f-uck?

If they honor our work fine, if not that is fine too.  We define who is important to us not them.

• Like 1

I don't want to suggest that acclaim by a broader audience isn't a worthy goal.  But we can't place so much value on their acceptance that we feel diminished when they fail to recognize us.  Nor can we afford marginalize the importance of celebrating ourselves.  

I find it ironic that Dylan has slapped the Nobel peace prize committee in the face by refusing to acknowledge the award, or even returning their calls to see if he will attend the ceremony. He won't even speak to them. Maybe he himself doesn't think they should have given him the award. I wouldn't put it past him.

Interesting. I was not aware of this turn of events (I never kept up with the conversation on social media).  So Dylan has not even acknowledged the award, and folks are getting all bent out of shape over the whole thing and Dylan hasn't even batted an eye... Dylan is the man!

When the Swedes gave Obama the prize for "Peace" I thought that was premature, for Obama did nothing for peace other than talk about it.  I wonder, given the countless innocent casualties as a direct result of Obama, do they think they made a mistake?

bob-dylan.jpgWhat is so crazy about the Dylan situation is that yesterday I went to his website and it said Winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature.  I did not have time to share the link here, to demonstrate that Dylan in fact did acknowledge the win.

Today however, the text acknowledging the win is gone! I wonder if Dylan will be bad enough to turn down the $900,000 too. 

Amazon has "Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature" in all caps and boldface on every book by Dylan.  Amazon also has the book at #1 on multiple categories.  

As an aside: I wonder just how many categories has--there are so many #1 bestsellers, and countless top 10 books.  Of course this drives sales because the authors share this nebulous accomplishment widely.  Amazon is a really brilliant marketer.

Here is a screenshot of the page before mention of the Nobel Prize was removed.  It is odd that he is being coy about the honor.  At this point he should just be like Obama.  Take the honor and the money and joke about what a farce it was down the road.

bob-dylan-acknowledges award.jpg

I would guess that since most iconic artists have administrators overseeing their website that his administrator thought to add the Nobel Peace prize winner tag to Dylan's website on his own and when Dylan saw it, he had it removed. Of course all speculation Lol!. I would be very surprised if Dylan accepts the $900k. It's not like he needs the money. If I'm wrong and he does accept it, I would then predict that he will donate it all to charity. To your aside point: I am fortunate to have a book that is a #1 bestseller right now in several Amazon categories, though I do agree with you that Amazon is a brilliant marketer, I have invested a lot of time and resources in marketing my book as well and I think it does make a significant difference.

VALLEY OF THE KINGS:The 18th Dynasty

by Terrance Coffey

The #1 Amazon Bestseller in Biographical Historical Fiction, Biographical Fiction, and Anthology Biographical Fiction

The 2016 International Pacific Book Award winner for Best Historical Fiction

It's the first book of a trilogy and my debut novel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG5NGFA/

Hey man here is a better link you can use to send people to Amazon: http://amzn.to/2eE5cGA It is better because it has my affiliate code applied, meaning I'll earn commissions on the sale.  Read this article for more insight: "5 Things Writers Must Do To Survive Online"

I added your book to the site: https://aalbc.com/books/bookinfo.php?isbn13=9780692756584 I'd forgotten that you'd previously shared the book's info on the website.  I wish I thought about it when I first posted about attractive covers.  I just added your book to my post.

Yes I see you ebook is still #1 in three categories:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #343 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

ver all it would be interesting to know how many different categories Amazon ranks books in.  It could be hundreds I suppose

I updated the link above but here is a direct link: http://aalbc.com/blog/index.php/2013/07/28/5-things-writers-must-do/ 

Oh I forgot to mention the biggest benefit is that any sales generated on my affiliate links count toward my bestsellers list--books on the list gets tons of free promotion if  makes the list.  The bestsellers list are the most popular pages on the website ;)