Buyers Have No Rights Which Amazon/Itunes are Bound to Respect

Once you buy a book, CD or DVD, it’s indisputably yours and can’t be taken back by the seller. You can lend it, give it away, leave it to your heirs or sell it to a secondhand store. 

But the truth is that in most cases,  “buying” digital content doesn’t confer any of those other rights. Rights to digital content or items have been revoked abruptly by Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Noble for a variety of reasons. Amazon stealthily removed versions of George Orwell’s “1984” and “Animal Farm” from customers’ Kindle e-readers after copyright issues arose with those versions; iTunes has removed albums from users’ accounts after the albums were withdrawn or changed by the artists or their labels; Barnes & Noble shut down a customer’s access to an e-book after the user’s credit card expired, even though the book already had been paid for. 

The above article is from today's LA Times, "Consumer deception? That 'Buy Now' button on Amazon or iTunes may not mean you own what you paid for"

I know this to be true and it is extremely frustrating.

I migrated all of my music, taking CDs I purchased and converted them to digital files that I managed using the Itunes application.  After a few years I gave away all those antiquated old the CDs.  Any other music I acquired I purchased at the Itunes store.  I have an Ipod that I listen to my music on, but most of the time I used my Iphone to play music.

My desktop crashed (they all do eventually), and I migrated from an I phone to a Samsung phone.  It was a royal pain in butt to the get my music onto my new computer.  I won't even go into the details, but it involved hacks, 3rd party apps, unhiding hidden files, all just to migrate music I "owned" to a new computer.  I felt ripped off... because I have been.

Now both of these companies want you to migrate everything to the freaking "cloud" so that they can stay in your pocket for ever.

F Itunes! I'm going to be like everyone else and steal my music from youtube.

• Like 1

LOL!!!!!! I guess because I worked for Apple and was a certified tech, I never bought into the hype. I still have all of my CDs and I go out of my way to get CDs even now. I buy so much music that I've literally run out of space to house them, but I'm going to keep buying because I know what happens with the "cloud" and digital music. The digital domain is still being scrutinized and changed. The laws haven't been written and it's a very dangerous space for creators. Imagine being the artist and knowing that your work can literally be stolen from YouTube. The amount YT pays for streams is horrible. Amazon Cloud is even worse. I tell you, no one is winning right now except the platforms.

• Like 1

Actually this year Youtube has made it much more difficult to swipe content from their website.  All the browser plugins that made it easy to copy video from Youtube have stopped working.  Of course this is a minor annoyance as anything in digital format can be bootlegged.

I still "own" all of my old LP's I guess down the road this will be the only music I own.  Just as well that music was better anyway ;-)

• Like 1