Re: Troy's response to post by F.A. Mason

I was just getting ready to add my response to Mr. Mason's post, when I read Troy's remarks and decided that they should stand on their own, without the distraction of what I have to say, especially since what Troy and I have to say are somewhat similar. So, I started a new topic and below is my commentary. (Cynique)

With all due respect, I agree with some of what you had to say, Mr. Mason, but one of your assertions didn’t win me over. Your implication that black men should not emulate white men because this would endorse white supremacy is debatable.

You obviously equate success with skin color. But the traits and qualities necessary to excel and prevail are not exclusive to one race. White alpha males have no monopoly of these qualities. The behavior and demeanor of a man who reigns over his domain, whether his domain be a nation or a household, is not the exclusive entitlement of white men. White supremacy becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when others empower white men by suggesting that they are the only ones who know how to manage and control.

Instead, it could be argued that Black men should, indeed, emulate white men so that they can beat them at the their own game. Why? Because we live in America, not Africa. What you seem to be suggesting, however, is that black men revert to a laid-back “jungle” mentality, or straw-hut village mind-set, doing the best they can and with the cooperation of their women folk, simply be satisfied with just getting by. Forget about adapting to the country where they now dwell. You remind us that black folks were once a beautiful spiritual race of people as if we would just hold that thought, we will miraculously feel inspired to embrace this collective conscious, and live in contentment. I have my doubts.

And, on the contrary, the idea that Malcolm X was the paragon of what a black man should be, if closely examined would be reveal that he projected a bold demeanor and honed his mental acuity in order to confront his oppressors on a equal footing. Implicit in much of what he preached was how black men should aspire to achieve what white men had acquired by equipping themselves with the skills and aggression necessary to thrive. Malcolm X, further realized the importance of a façade, hiding behind his, concealing his insecurity about his male impotency as revealed in his confidential correspondence to Elijah Muhammad, - a figure whom Malcolm, in the throes of his naïvete, once believed could do no wrong.

Martin Luther King, flawed though he may have been, had the wisdom to realize the merits of Gandhi’s philosophy of passive resistance as a tactic and his emulation of this resulted in a degree of success for his movement.

White supremacists realized certain things, too. That MLK and Malcolm were dangerous, and the urgency to eliminate them was a begrudging admission of respect for the power these 2 leaders embodied. Or it is accurate to claim that the white establishment has not acknlwedged the impact these men had on racism.

Today, black men and women continue to be engaged in adversarial relationships, black children are growing up educationally-challenged, the ghetto is mired down in a paradigm of young black girls poppin out babies as fast as they can in order to replace those who have reached the age of killing and being killed by each other. The black middleclass continues its “lemmings-over-the cliff” pursuit of materialism, the hip-hop tsunami has inundated the black literary community. America’s economy is on a collision course with disaster, the infra-structure of the country is on the verge of collapse, the environment is turning on itself. God is on hiatus, while the faithful desperately try to take up the slack. But if you have your way, Mr. Mason, there’s an alternative.

And, who knows, maybe black folks should fall back and re-group, become a new community within the nation, a retro culture where rejecting the mores of the dominant society would allow them to lead simple lives, tuning out the clamour of urban civilization, left with nothing to worry about but food and shelter. Dream on.

Obviously I'm having a hard time trying and failing to edit and correct this post so that it will make better sense. It's very frustrating. I thought I had figured out a way but I just ended up re-posting instead of replacing. Anyhow, to anybody who attempts to read what I've tried to say, I hope you get the gist of it. (I just can't understand why I no longer have the "edit" option.)

Cynique I'll create a new account and try to replicate your problem. Is anyone else unable to edit their own posts?

Cynique, I see others attempting to live here in America with a completely different culture. The only way this can possibly work is if these people completely cut themselves off from the outside world.

The Amish people in Pennsylvania seem to be pretty good at it. Other groups, mostly religious ones seem to have varying degrees of success.

The problem is American view these groups as cults needing to be fixed. Westerners have this irritating characteristic of wanting make everything like themselves we view the entire world as needing to be fixed if they don't behave like us. We want people to worship the same God, listen to the same music, dance the same way and speak the same language...

Of course I know the motivation for this is money (the underlying motivation for most things in our culture). If the foreign culture is sufficiently 'westernized" we can then ensure that the McDonalds we open up will have sufficient demand.

We need an American "Prime Directive" of sorts.

I guess this is better than the old technique of rape, pillage, plunder, enslave, convert...

Black people in this country are not going to branch off into some alternate culture. The best we will get (without force) are a handful of people who celebrate Kwaanza aroud the holidays or small group who might join the NOI.

Again, the only way Black boys will be saved is when there is a cultural shift in this country making if possible.

And this will only happen if it is in the financial interest of enough of the right people.

Ok Cynique the new account I created "troy_via_twitter" is unable to edit a post. I'll get on it now...

I take this back, Cynique. I just added this text to a post I created. I did not see the edit button until after I saved the post.

Again, the only way Black boys will be saved is when there is a cultural shift in this country making if possible.

No, black boys will be saved when (and only when) Negroes take full responsibility for the children they create. All the whining, belly aching, pontificating, finger pointing, projection, excuse making, millions man marches and state of the black union carnivals mean absolutely nothing. Until there is a collective effort by black people to mentor, parent, take control, protect, set the example and discipline their male children, the so-called American Negro will continue his spiral into oblivion. But consider the odds. Not good…….

No, black boys will be saved when (and only when) Negroes take full responsibility for the children they create. All the whining, belly aching, pontificating, finger pointing, projection, excuse making, millions man marches and state of the black union carnivals mean absolutely nothing. Until there is a collective effort by black people to mentor, parent, take control, protect, set the example and discipline their male children, the so-called American Negro will continue his spiral into oblivion. But consider the odds. Not good…….

SLAVE MENTALITY: EXHIBIT B

So let me see. Are you needing saving? Did someone fail to take responsibility for you? Let me ask you, are you in need of saving?

This is America

EVERYONE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SAVED

There are winners and there are losers. The Slave feels it is his fault if some other slave fails somewhere, even if said person is thousands of miles away and he can do nothing about it.

This is an ongoing debate because Negroes like to feel bad about themselves--its themselves they feel bad about the fact that they have to look at their OWN BLACK FACES in the mirror every morning--but of course, such self loathing, if taken to its logical end, would mean suicide.

But most Negroes are afraid to do that.

SO, all this bellyaching about someone needing saving and how someone else is failing to save them.

Let me ask you, have you done anything to save anyone else?

I needn't ask. Of course not.

You are going to have plenty of opportunity to try and save yourself in the next ten or so years.

"This is America. EVeryone is not SUPPOSED to be saved. You have winners and you have losers. From what I can see, a Negro does good saving himself, and then it is usually a screwed up job, because of self hatred.

By the way. You're black. You're saved. What are you talking about? There is nobody on this list that needs such saving. Who are you talking about? How are you going to save somebody in LA, Chicago, Miami?

Isn't this just self loathing bushwah?