Maybe Trump's Election is a Blessing in Disguise

The Trump election was indeed about color—green.

Perhaps now people will see this election wasn't about race. This election, like all of the others, was about power and money. Wealth inequality will continue to grow. The Trumps of the country will get richer and we'll all get an upgraded iPhones that we struggle to pay for driving for Uber, delivering groceries for Google or delivering books for Amazon, in this exploitative "gig" economy.

Now that Trump is dissing his own supporters by appointing more Goldman Sachs bazillionaires.  Trump even hired that guy, Steve Mnuchin, who stole homes from elderly people who took out reverse mortgages (I didn't even know you could lose your home with a reverse mortgage).

Sure, Donald worked to appeal to racists, xenophobes, and other simple people.  But, he will not build a wall, he will not stop jobs from leaving, he won't even go after Hillary.  All he will do is enrich himself.

Maybe now, that Trump has made it plain that he is 'bout stakin' mad loot, people will put away their petty differences and do something substantive about improving this country for the majority of its people.

Then again, the prospect that a climate change denier as the President may render all of this handwringing over Trump's win moot, because the planet may be rendered incapable of supporting human life.

• Like 1

I think we are witnessing the advent of a new age in this country.  Just like there were the Dark Ages and the Age of Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution and the Renaissance, the human condition is not a constant and it transforms itself from time to time.  This transformation has nothing to do with whether such change is good or bad, it's is just a matter of things not being the way they were before. As a result of this presidential election,  America is on the brink of a new era and the old rules don't apply.  Reality is being redefined and words are becoming tools to use for deception, enabling the powers-that-be-to say what isn't so and get away with it.  It's hard to mount a defense against this form of mind control that is as toxic as the addiction to smart phones and social media.  

The masses are turning into automatons controlled by greedy power hungry leaders who are aided and abetted by the computerization that has replaced human initiative while fueling a desire for the consumption of the superficial. 

If responsible elements of the populace don't step up and organize a counter-movement, this country is destined to become the oligarchy we've been warned about and America as we know it will no longer exist. Democracy will have failed because it did not come natural to the citizens of the nation that tried to adopt it. Meanwhile, Capitalism will soar to new heights 

• Like 1

“Perhaps now people will see this election wasn't about race. This election, like all of the others, was about power and money. Wealth inequality will continue to grow. The Trumps of the country will get richer and we'll all get an upgraded iPhones that we struggle to pay for driving for Uber, delivering groceries for Google or delivering books for Amazon, in this exploitative "gig" economy.”

True….true. Hillary paid the price for ignoring the white working/middle-class whites. A lethal mistake. Many of those white voters who voted for Mr. Obama in the past two elections -voted for Trump this time. What else is there to say? She was out hustled on the campaign trail by Trump. The Monday morning analysis after the Sunday game always gets it right….

“Now that Trump is dissing his own supporters by appointing more Goldman Sachs bazillionaires.  Trump even hired that guy, Steve Mnuchin, who stole homes from elderly people who took out reverse mortgages (I didn't even know you could lose your home with a reverse mortgage).”

Ha! Ya got that right! Trump said he was going to drain the swamp of plutocrats, insiders and corporate financial oligarchs who were making millions while American workers were being sacrificed at the altar of  Wall Street and big business. What does he do? He stockpiles his cabinet and administration with corporate barons and financial pirates, the very people he accused Hillary of hobnobbing with! He is appointing people to posts who are the complete antithesis to the very administrations they are heading! It’s like appointing a convicted Mexican cartel leader to run the DEA or ex-KBG agent to lead the CIA or NSA. Rick Perry to head the Dept of Energy?? WTF????!!! The irony and hypocrisy is absolutely stunning! It’s a sad and very ugly joke unfolding in front of us!

“Sure, Donald worked to appeal to racists, xenophobes, and other simple people.  But, he will not build a wall, he will not stop jobs from leaving, he won't even go after Hillary.  All he will do is enrich himself.”

Well, again, from the current indicators and optics, I think you're right…….

• Like 1

No one "ignored" the working and middle class Whites.

For the past 40 something years Democrats have been the only major party to advocate raising wages, improving working conditions, providing affordable healthcare for more Americans, increasing funding for schools, supporting unions.

If THAT doesn't show support for and benefit the working/middle classes of ALL races, I don't know what does.....which I suspect may be part of the problem.

Many poor and middle class Whites don't like any program that benefits ALL people, only those that benefit them to the exclusion of others.

Troy

Yes this election was IN PART about "green" to the extent that most of the wealthy elite saw in Trump the opportunity to continue accumulating and consolidating wealth and influence in this nation.

But make no mistake about it....race was also a MAJOR factor in this election.

Millions of poor Whites who didn't have a pot to piss in went out of their way to show up to the polls and vote for a Wall Street billionaire who they KNEW didn't give a damn about them personally.
Not because of what he promised to do FOR THEM...but for what he promised to do TO OTHERS.

There are poor White men in this nation who would rather starve to death or lay at home and die for lack of health care,  than live in a society where both Black and White men live together with decent jobs and great healthcare.....because that would increase the chances that his daughter just might consider marrying and having children with a Black man of similar socio-economic status.

• Like 1

I guess I'm not so confident, as most black people are, that this election was mostly about race. 

I guess I have too much faith in American people.  I simply don't believe that the majority of white folks here are overt racists.  Sure there are overt racists here, and there are racist sympathizers (those happy to reap the benefits of racism but aren't going to raise a confederate battle flag or don a Klansman hood).

But I think most people pulled the switch to vote for Trump because they felt Trump will improve their own lives, not because they want to reenslave Black people.

You don't have to want to re-enslave black people to be racist.  You can be placated by relegating them to second class citizenship and ignoring their grievances. You are so hyper-critical about Hillary Clinton but sooo forgiving of all the white Trump voters whose purportedly just wanted change, which to them represented a return to an America where white skin guaranteed entitlement   Just because millions of white people supported Bernie and later reluctantly voted for Hillary doesn't contradict the reality that Donald Trump's election was a victory for both overt and covert racists who came out in

great numbers to vote for him.  These people were dumb enough to think that a self-serving billionaire would improve the economy because they were blinded by their resentment of minorities whom they considered a threat.      

• Like 1

Cynique, remember who I voted for; if I were that critical of Hillary and so forgiving of Trump supporters I would not have voted for Hillary.

Sure, for the racists out there, Trump's win was perceived as a victory.  I say perceived because you then have to believe that Trump is both a white racist and will enact legislation that elevates white people at the expense of everyone else.

White racists will be disappointed with a Trump presidency, along with everyone else.

You voted for Hillary with great reluctance.  And you couldn't forgive those who voted for Trump until after the election, at which time  you excused those who jumped in bed with the racists and cast their ballots for this bigot.  

And why do you consider it a contradiction to believe that  "Trump is both a white racist and will enact legislation that elevates white people at the expense of everyone else"?????

I saying that I don't believe Trump is nearly as racists as the Neonazis to whom he appeals.  In fact, it is likely that this racist demographic will fare worse under a Trump presidency, because we all will.

You see, racists believe that their problems are actually caused by Black people, never realizing that it is in fact people like Trump that have taken advantage of them in order to enrich themselves.  Perhaps after Trumps has been in office for a couple of years these racists will see that Trump  

I think I have been pretty consistent about my opinion of Trump.  I always understood why people voted for him.  Don't confuse my understanding of (or willingness to understand) a Trump supporter's motivation with my agreement with that motivation.

• 1 year later...