Is there anything worth watching on Broadcast TV?

In another conversation Cynique wrote,

“…my sense of humor is what sustains me. I regularly watch Family Feud hosted by Steve Harvey, just to laugh at how stupid the average person can be.”

What struck me about Cynique's statement is that she is roughly 30 years my senior and I can't see myself being amused by Family Feud--ever.  In fact, I'm beginning to wonder what will amuse and interest me if I'm fortunate enough to have Cyniques longevity.  

I used to watch Family Feud and I even derived some enjoyment from it, but this was many years ago.   Lately however, I when catch it channel surfing, it feels like I'm wasting time watching the show. I don't find humor in it anymore. It just seems stupid, like so much of the other stuff that is on broadcast TV.  I guess that it why TV was known as the "boob tube."

Now I'm not one of those folks who go around boasting that, "I don't even own a T.V."  I see nothing wrong with owning a TV, but I find much of the programming a waste of time, so I can understand why people don't bother with them.

It has been suggested that I just turn off my brain, at least the analytical part of it, and relax to enjoy this stuff.  But that is not in my nature.  Besides the analytical part is what makes things interesting for me.

But it goes beyond Family Feud; I don't enjoy many most movies I watch in the theaters.  I used to love Star Trek and Star Wars, but the last two installments of Star Wars was just boring to me.  I mean how many times can one watch space ships fighting each other.  It seems like I've seen all of these movies before.  In fact, the same goes for all of those franchise films, after the first one they are all repeats from Harry Potter to the Avengers.  I'll probably stop seeing these films in the theater.

I will, however, make a point of seeing Hidden Figures, Fences, and Midnight.  I recently saw Birth of Nation {yawn}. Hopefully one of these films will restore my hope that I can continue to enjoy a good movie as I get older.

Despite the awards and critical praise of Midnight I'm definitely managing my expectations ;-)

• Like 2

I should say in regard to Family Feud that i don't always laugh at it. I just as frequently cringe at the the far-fetched, irrelevant answers contestants come up with on this circus.There a family is, elated at their chance to be on TV, all decked out in their coordinated outfits, colored shirts and ties matched up with dresses or tops, hair all coiffed, grinning like the idiots their responses reveal them to be when team members support each other by shouting  "good answer" to a response the buzzer immediately signals as being an unbelievably bad answer as the person who gave it, inexplicably claps his hands. 

In a way there is something bizarre about this show, something revealing about the emotions reflected on the faces of contestants; the deflated expressions brought on by a rejected answer, or the satisfied smirk that reflects an acceptable one. Then, there's the dapper Ring Master,Steve Harvey, alternating between his "down home good ol boy" persona and his "street smart city slicker" one, mugging and bucking his eyes, surprised when an occasional intelligent answer proves to be right because he is clueless about anything remotely intellectual. Something which has not, in any way, hindered his becoming a big TV star. 

It gets worse when one at a time 2 members from the winning team are called upon to think on their feet and quickly match obvious answers to the 5 questions a polled audience of 100 people has given; a challenge many aren't equal to. When a duo does rack up the required 200 points to take the grand prize, all hell breaks loose as the happy winners go wild. The Jackpot is $20,00 which has to be divided among 5 people after taxes. You'd think those jumping up and down and dancing around were getting a million dollars instead of about $3,000 each. But their joy is boundless.  For a brief moment, 5 ordinary people have become special, and have experienced the thrill of victory by participating in an event they can look back on with satisfaction. 

Since I've always been a people watcher, the "appeal" of Family Feud is its spontaneity. Observing as folks from a cross section of typical Americans appear on a half hour TV show where a white family from a small southern town might be pitted against a black family from the urban north, is a study in psychology.   Seeing individuals stripped of their poise in a controlled environment, watching their reaction under pressure, as well as the varied reactions of family members over a failed effort by one of their own, is a study of human behavior; an imitation of life.To others this might be entertainment. To some it might be vapid. But I find it all rather interesting.   

• Like 2

Well, as usual, you Cynique you reveal a depth that I can only hope to achieve.  Perhaps a willingness on my part to look a little deeper, I can find more amusement in these things.

I'm sure Steve's appeal has to do with his work ethic and playing to the lowest common demoniator like Wendy Williams or Tyler Perry. 

• Like 2

Well, the pop culture vulture has just seen on FaceBook that Trump and Ben Carson have approached Steve Harvey in regard to coming on board to assist Carson in his new role as Secretary of Housing Development  I guess Steve's ghetto persona impressed them so much they think he'd know how to get rid of Sections 8s.   

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw this too.  I also saw the negativity leveled against Harvey in reaction.  Even DL Hughley lashed out.

Listening to Hughley take on Trump using Jim, Kanye, and Harvey is interesting.  Again, as discussed, Jim Brown is a serious activist, Steve Harvey will do anything to advance his career, and Kanye West is likely in need of treatment.  As a result, I would not lump these three men together.  

While it is obvious Trump is trying to use these guys and understands that celebrity is a really easy way to impress the Black masses.  I'm not worried about Jim Brown getting played and selling us out.  I can't say the same for the other Brothers, but who knows...