Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Simon & Schuster Gives Racist Troll $250K Book Deal: Why Banning Them Makes No Sense

Beyoncé does appropriate imagery but at least she does it from her culture. She's owning her stuff. Thats from Mr Carter.  There's an interesting interview with Damon Dash. Are they Billionaires yet and have they signed Warren Buffet's list. 

Some of the spoken is by a UK poet. The interview of Warren Buffett and Jay-Z by Steven Forbes was interesting. 

• Like 1

OK you know more than I Mel.  Master teachers like Dr. Ben, who knew a thing or two about African history, live and die in relative obscurity. Meanwhile, people like Beyonce are being thrust into the role of religious icon, spiritual leader, and the vessel for sacred African knowledge.   I don't like it when corporations choose our leaders--this has never served us.

Corporation made Steve Harvey our relationship expert despite the fact that Steve has littered the landscape upset ex-wives. I have demonstrated far more skill at relationships than Steve Harvey has, but I do not have the temerity to promote myself as a relationship expert.  But corporations have no problem doing this because it is about entertainment which means money.

Again, entertainment has replaced education, because entertainment is more profitable. 

This is just another example or converting spiritual enlightenment into entertainment in order to profit from it.  This is a perversion of spirituality and can not serve us.

I don't believe in the "AND" proposition in the case. I don't think you can teach spiritual enlightenment when your primary or only motive is profit.

None of our great spiritual leaders were wealthy. Indeed many eschew material wealth in exchange for a spiritual wealth.

While Beyonce and her team are great business people, I don't think they can do a good job conveying spirituality and uplifting people in a meaningful sense.  Once that revenue stream starts to wane, it will be jettisoned like any other failed business.   

• Like 2

@Troy she is doing both. Again my psychic friend believes Beyoncé is an inspiration and she is. I don't know if that is her motivation.  Jay-Z is a savvy business man. And he is becoming a philanthropist. Beyoncé and Jay-Z have a similar arc. He flaunt the drug dealing, she flaunted the sexual thing. And even though the are not the first to do so.  They are building an empire that both allows them freedom and is philanthropic. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Troy said:

I don't think you can teach spiritual enlightenment

I agree.  I don't believe anyone can teach anything.

The first step to learning, however, is AWARENESS... if you aren't aware something exist, learning cannot occur.   The same can be said for spiritual enlightenment  - no one can teach it; you can only become aware there's a path.  

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

it pays to be at the right place at the right time and - to be ready.  

BAM!!!

Yep, I never been to a Beyonce concert and I have one album because it contains a song me and my daughters would sing on road-trips. But when it comes to business, I'm fascinated as to why some make it and others don't .  So I study the successful and this is exactly what I gathered from her "meteoric" rise...Like you've written, The lesson is from the Girl Scouts motto "BE PREPARED"

• Like 2

Hey @Del , what is your definition of spirituality?  It seems to be we are born spiritual beings.  It is only the rituals and practices we have to learn.  In much the same way we are born with an innate ability to communicate.  If we are not taught a specific language, we will come up with one on our own.

• Like 2

Milo is suing Simon and Schuster for $10 million  ... Judge ruled in his favor to let the case go forward.  Also he got to keep the $80,000 book advance.   I guess they are learning "hate" doesn't pay.   Probably the last time they will try to cash in on a built-in market of hate , It can be very costly.  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/milo-yiannopoulos-wins-first-round-10-million-lawsuit-simon-schuster-1046027

• Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 2:11 PM, Troy said:

Hey @Del , what is your definition of spirituality?  It seems to be we are born spiritual beings.  It is only the rituals and practices we have to learn.  In much the same way we are born with an innate ability to communicate.  If we are not taught a specific language, we will come up with one on our own.

Hi Troy,

This is an inspired definition

Spirituality is the counterbalance to our body, personality and all that is tangible. The body is a ship and spirituality is our anchor in the higher realms.

You could exhange spirituality with world view or existential contemplation of essence.

Religion is a lower order manifestation of spirtuality. Analogous to the word apple and the object. So your spiritual approach defines and informs your actions personality, thought process, and emotions. All of the later terms are constructs or a way to embody the intangible essence. These constructs are what make life feel real. Its easier to argue religion orspirituality. Than the reality of your body. Yet you would have a hard time really believing someone arguing reality.

The irony being that it is your mind that rails against this position. Which is ironic because your mind is closer to spirit than your body.

Thats a first take will post more later.

There's the potential problem of associating the self with our body or our actions. What informs this the mind? The mind is a function of your life experience and also your spirit.

Various people may perceive one or the other in the ascendancy

An admixture of both perhaps or of neither.

You are relatively unaware of the functioning of the body or your destiny. Spiritual practices can shift your perspective so that you 
can see both differntly. This ability may be real or as indistinguishable as being in a dream.

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.

Live live life your life. Knowing that it is the spirit dreaming.

OK @Delano please start a new conversation when you add more. 

Also can you explain what you mean by "...existential contemplation of essence."

Finally, some believe the mind and our actions could be perfectly predicted like the trajectory of a tossed ball, provided we have complete information about the initial conditions, external forces, and sufficient computational power.

But like weather or brains are very complex and it is only a matter of time before we can predict and control both.

Well the lack of control is just a function of knowledge and technology.  Controlling brains will come first because, as it is child's play compared to controlling the weather.

I've seen people hypnotized, I see how easily we can be deceived and manipulated, and of course the owners of social media  with access to tremendous amounts of our data have taken this type of control to a new level.

Add more. I was responding to your question about spirituality. 

Hypnotism is suggestibility. I would make a difference between influence and control. You can amplify a tendency . However it is much harder to control the mind. The reason is i believe in the conscious subconscious and unconscious mind. So mind control advertising and hyonotism work better on some people. 

I agree.  I doubt I could be hypnotized, but I can be, and have been, influenced by marketing, which is why I try to avoid the efforts of corporate marketing--which is virtually impossible unless you live in a cave. 

Even in a cave, in some far flung country, Facebook is coming for you; they are going as far as building infrastructure and giving away handheld devices to accomplish this.

I don't think any of my purchases are a result of corporate marketing. In Sydney there are loud big screen TV in the subway. My only corporate purchases are movie tickets to movies about comic book characters from my childhood. 

@Del, you can;t use yourself as the benchmark for the masses. We were born before marketing was so pervasive and effective. Remember we only had a few TV stations and they stopped broadcasting late at night. 

Today kids have handheld devices and are targeted nonstop by marketers 24 hours a day--every day of the week!  They never knew a world different from this.

You and I can go without out cell phones and TVs.  The average person under 30 would probably have actual physical withdrawal symptoms if they with without a cell phone for more than a few hours.  Their minds are never still... it makes a big difference in how we think.

Education.  Full stop.

If you really want the full solution; stop consuming most forms of media and go back to reading books and newspapers.

That is it.

---------------------------

I think we need to seriously consider the media we consume. There is some media that I simply do not subject myself to.  Social media is one.  Sure I post a link to AALBC.com on most days, but you will never see me scrolling through my own feeds.  There are no social media apps installed on my phone.  I say this because people lie, misinterpret things, or just make shit up.  I prefer to consume my news directly from reputable sources --even then you need a variety of reputable sources. 

Speaking of cell phones. I do not keep it next to me.  I don't even sleep in the same room with it. I primarily use it as a wifi hot spot, to text family and friends, and to look stuff up.  I barely used the telephone ap. 

Whenever I'm in public I see people fully engaged in the cell phones, they could be driving, walking down the street, at dinner with friends, or just riding in an elevator.  The thing never seems to live their hands.  At the airport, I see people sprawled on the floor slavishly tethered to an outlet because their stupid phone can't hold a charge for a full day.

I think cell phones are one of the easiest ways for corporations to get into our heads and manipulate us.  starting with getting us to buy a brand new one every two years--at least. I use the devices accordingly.

Young people also grow up without a sense of PRIVACY like those of past generation.

They don't have a problem with all of their business being made known to the public, including their phone numbers, address, and even social security number.

You can't go into a Macys or Norstrom or any other high end department store without them trying to get as much information as they can out of you while making your purchase.
And most people just blurt all of their personal information out into the open without so much as taking a look over their shoulders to see who may be listening.

Infact, this so-called "information age" has made a lot of young people just down right naive.

If you go into a grocery store or a coffee shop you'll notice that most of the time you have to ASK for a receipt because the attendant will just NOT give you one.
It's become the norm not to get paper receipts for your purchases and most young people don't seem to understand the need for one.....UNITL.

Yeah Apple and Google keeps tabs on your every move, where you go, what you buy, who you talk to, what sites you visit.  The people who used these products simply do not care about privacy or what the implications of it being eliminated mean.

The information age has not served people.  No one will argue that the pubic is more informed, smarter, or any wiser as a result of all of this technology.  The performances of our students compared to other countries will tell you that.  45 in the whitehouse is obviously a consequence.

On a global scale despite of our technology, global literacy is half of what it was just 40 years ago down to 17%!  SO much for technology.

Information technology, and the vast amount of data we prove has benefited corporations.  We are easier marks for anything they have to sell.  Much of we don't need and some of it does is harm.

And I'm someone who is fundamentally for technology--I just don't like the way it is being used against us today.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

AALBC.com Bestselling BooksAALBC.com Bestselling Books