Network News little more than Jerry Spring with traffic and weather

When we were younger we used to complain about a media that always seemed to be on the look out for the craziest sounding people to use as a sound bite for a news story. They did this so much it became a cliche.

Over the years the media has taken this type of "journalism" to a new level with shows like Jerry Springer which are designed to profit by entertaining the masses at the expense of the most dysfunctional in our society.

Now here is a story (that someone forwarded to me); covering a very serious crime -- attempted rape. However rather than being at least partonizingly sympatetic to the victim; the highlight of the broadcast was a rant by the victim's brother -- in all the glory of a character from a Morton Downy highlight reel.

Is this what passes for news coverage today?

Hey Cynique,

You made me go hunt for the video huh. I did not see it on your wall but I think this is it. It is quite a good and clever editting job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvNS5TzvwM

Still, someone's tragedy is fodder for someone else's entertainment. I guess that was always the basis of "news"...

b.t.w. I saw your tribute your grandson. We share the same middle name and I was a gymnast too. Did you create a group or fan page?

I'm not familiar with FaceBook lingo, Troy, so I guess what I think is a "wall" is not a "wall". But anyhow I saw a link to that video somewhere while I was stumbing around Facebook terraine. Some young white guys from NY who specialize in this kind of thing supposedly saw the news clip and contacted Antoine about turning his rant into a video. "And the rest is history". I also heard he capitalized off of his 5 minutes of fame so well that he was able to move out of "The Projects".

And, no, I didn't set up that tribute page for my grandson, Kyle. My other grandson did. All I did was write the bio which was a revised version of his funeral obituary.

Kyle's middle name was the same as his father's, and his father is around your age. Demetrius, as I'm sure you know, is a Greek name which became a favorite among Blacks probably because it was the name of the heroic Greek slave who was a character in a best-selling novel of its day entitled "The Robe". This immmensely popular book was later made into an epic movie which is still being shown on TV, usually around Easter time.

"Reporters" have been known to pay people to perform before the cameras like this.

Who is at fault? He who acted out before the cameras? Or the many layers of people this had to pass through to get on the air?

What you are seeing is the attitude of those who sit in the Boardrooms who somehow get a pass when we talk about racism.

Did you call/write in to complain?

"Reporters" have been known to pay people to perform before the cameras like this.

I'm sure there is some truth to this but why would you pay some hood rats to be what they are? They enjoy the cameras and attention just as much as those who report them......

Who is at fault? He who acted out before the cameras? Or the many layers of people this had to pass through to get on the air?

Whose fault is it? Why is anyone’s fault? There is no fault to claim. It is what it is. There you go again, playing the blame game -"I'm a victim! It's not my fault I make a fool of myself!"

What you are seeing is the attitude of those who sit in the Boardrooms who somehow get a pass when we talk about racism.

Get a pass for what? People who act like fools and exhibit minstrelsy behavior? What about those who are acting and living out the coon life? What? They get a free pass????

Did you call/write in to complain?

No. Did you? It is what it is and there is nothing you or I can do about it. But of course you wouldn’t' do anything about it since you are an integral part of it. I'm done.......