Go See the Documentary, I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO

Yesterday I went to see Raoul Peck's film Academy Award nominated film I Am Not Your Negro which was based on Remember This House, an unfinished manuscript by James Baldwin.

9780525434696.jpg The documentary was very well done. Baldwin's work was to focus on his friends Malcolm X, Medgar Evers and Martin Luther King, Jr.

“By the time each died, their positions had become virtually the same position. It can be said, indeed, that Martin picked up Malcolm’s burden, articulated the vision which Malcolm had begun to see, and for which he paid with his life. And that Malcolm was one of the people Martin saw on the mountaintop.”

Baldwin's words and people like these men are sorely needed today.

I believe there are people with the potential of Malcolm, Martin and Medgar among us today, but Black institutions are so fractured that these Brothers simply do have the platforms to emerge our of obscurity. If they do have a platform capable of reaching the masses it is owned by white folks more interested in revenue than uplifting Black people. This renders any impact of the magnitude of a Malcolm, Martin or Medgar impossible.

It has been almost half a century since the American people have seen Black leaders and activists of any significance.  Today they do not have to be gunned down they are just bought out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MrsMommy

There are no black women or men willing to stand out like those Civil Rights leaders of old.  We have Colin Kapernick who put his money and livelihood on the line by not pledging alliegience to America, and subsequently being blackballed by the NFL.  

• Like 1

MrsMommy, I think you are pouring it on a bit.

Colin was not the first athlete, nor will he be the last, to protest the National Anthem. It was a purely symbolic effort amplified by the media and social media for ratings and engagement--otherwise, it would have been a completely inconsequential action.

Colin did not risk a thing.  Muhammad Ali actually risked his career, money, and body by refusing to fight in Vietnam.  Colin risked very little if anything

Colin didn't even bother to vote in the last presidential election...

So while I agree with your statement that, "There are no black women or men willing to stand out like those Civil Rights leaders of old." Colin is a FAR cry from exhibiting any of the traits of the civil rights activists before the early 70's.

In the meantime, you pouring the entire picture of water over ours.

What other black public figure has risked their lives or livelihoods in protest again racial inequality, police brutality, and in support of Black Lives Matter?

Colin Kaepernick is a young man in his prime, who faced the jeers of the white public, and the negative commentary of writers for newspapers and blogs everywhere he went.

He recently donated a million dollars to communities in need, but he will never work for the NFL---not even in a commentator position----ever again.

He has been blackballed by the NFL for standing up for his personal and political beliefs.   You may not believe this is anything of substance or importance, but then again, this tells me all I need to know about you.

Mrs Mommy I don't agree with the premise of your question that Colin risked his life.

Colin has passed his prime as it relates to football.  He got, I suspect, as much positive press as he got negative.  Besides professional athletes are already accustomed to this it is part of the job.

I'm glad to hear he donated a million dollars.  That is commendable.  Of course who it went to and what it be used for would be interesting to know.  

It would also be interesting to know what percentage of his net worth that million dollars represented.  There are people who tithe at their church, making a relatively greater sacrifice.  

Football careers end.  They last, on average, 3 years or so.  Colin is full aware of this and was on the tail end of his career when he started kneeling. The vast majority of professional athletes do not become commentators at the end of their careers.  It is a completely different skill set and very few opportunities.

Again, I don't buy into your assumptions. If Colin had the skill of a Dak Prescott, he would still be playing.

All I'm trying to do is strip away the media hype (both positive and negative) and put Colin kneeling into perspective. 

Colin aside for moment; do you, Mrs.Mommy, or anyone else believe that athletes, professional or otherwise, should not stand for the National Anthem?  Why or why not?