Random Thoughts

Well, guess everybody has run out of things to say.  Not surprising. The discussions here always evolve into debates, and few of us are swayed by the arguments of others.  Anecdotal evidence, sociological studies, and scientific proof all muddy the picture and we end up with a negative that isn't developed.  We all embrace our truths and distrust the source of rebuttals to them. What goes on here is kind of a reflection of the world-at-large and the reason why this country is in disarray.  

I find myself withdrawing from what is happening all around me, pondering  if  intelligent design is involved in the Universe, it needs to go back to the drawing board because humanity, in its imperfect form, is on a collision course with self-destruction

At the age of 83, I'm shooting for 85 and then I'm ready to call it a day, keeping in mind that my whole life time may just be the wink of an eye in a larger world where I am the equivalent of a fruit fly in this one.   I'm rather tired but I am grateful that sleep comes easily to me, and it is a haven for my body and the dreams that have insomnia. Wonder if ant colonies have leaders who are assholes.  

• Like 2

Yes this forum is truly is indeed a microcosm of the world particularly as we "embrace our truths and distrust the source of rebuttals to them."

That fact has indeed made be sensitive to the characteristic in my own behavior. I try to keep and open mind and have adjusted my position when new information, or a different perspective, was introduced here.  @Cynique, I have changed my position a number of times based upon your commentary.  For example, after Hillary became the democratic nominee for president, I, like so many other Black folks decided to simply not vote.  But after reading your words it became clear that I needed to vote and I did (obviously for Clinton).  

As you know Cynique, I have always appreciated your mind and have personally benefited from it.  Del calls you a "Magnus" (I still have not looked it up to know what it means), but a rose by any other name...

I think it is society's loss that we spend so much time consuming on social media consuming and spreading the "wisdom" of inexperienced children, and dumb rudderless celebrities while ignoring the sage words of our elders.

This is the primary reason I've stopped using social media.  You have to be careful where you consume information. Now that we know social media is used to manipulate people, I refuse to use it.  How many Black people, I wonder, decided not to vote in the last presidential election because of the "information" (propaganda really) that was deliberately fed to them in order to dissuade them from voting?

This, I guess, is also the reason why I've dedicated my life to selling books.  It is not so much about the books themselves, but the knowledge contained within them.  This is also why I spend so much time promoting what others may feel is my competition-- other booksellers.  It is also why I promote the Black press and Black journalists.

I think platforms like this forum are necessary.  The goal is not to compel you to spend every waking moment with a handheld device in your hand scrolling through the content here.  Nor is the goal to sell your information to big data firms and marketers to manipulate your behavior.  

The goal is to exchange ideas and hopefully learn something new.  

I appreciate the majority of people look for ideas that reinforce what they already believe. That is why social media excels and why it is so popular.  

I think what has always set regular contributors to these forums apart is that we are not afraid to exposure our ideas to critique.  This is really not an easy thing to do.  So while we may exhibit traits of the general population, of holding fast to our ideas. You can't do that here very long and enjoy or benefit from the process.

• Like 1

It's  Magus.

Troy I come here because i believe on your vision. 

Cynique I have also withdrawn from engaging with people. Although my job is talking with people. I only find a few people trying to peel the onion of self life and consciousness. Understandably they are busy trying to survive a life that is death by design.

Cynique I am a moth and your post the Moon.

• Like 2

I did just look up Magnus after making my post and now I see why I drew a blank.  

I looked up the correct word this time and see that it means one of the Magi (proper noun) and it also means magician, sorcerer, or astrologer. Del when you call Cynique a Magus what are you actually saying about her?

Thanks for believing and saying that you believe in my vision.  It helps. I can't do anything that I'm trying to do alone.  I'm not sure any of us can go through life doing anything of value in isolation.  We need the support of others. Thanks.

• Like 2

I don't know but perhaps much of humanity was programmed for self-destruction as part of the Grand Intelligent Design all along, only to rebuild itself.

Maybe each "age" or "world" is designed in a way that once the population reaches a certain limit and/or technology advances to a certain level....it implodes in on itself ending in a nuclear calamity only for a small sliver of humanity to survive and begin a new world all over again.

Troy

Not to change the subject of this thread but.....

What is your vision...in detail?

Pioneer, the title of the conversation was random thoughts, so I guess anything goes. Are you asking because you have no clue?  Did nothing I wrote in response to Cynique's post reveal anything to you?  Indeed does my activities and behavior, as reflected on the website, over that last 20 years say nothing to you about my vision? 

Let me answer your question with a question.  What do you think my vision is?

• Like 1

Troy

Are you asking because you have no clue? Did nothing I wrote in response to Cynique's post reveal anything to you? Indeed does my activities and behavior, as reflected on the website, over that last 20 years say nothing to you about my vision?

Let me answer your question with a question. What do you think my vision is?

Man, what's wrong with you.

:P.....snapping at me.

Did Del put a spell on YOU or something.....lol

You haven't been the same since I got into it with him a few weeks ago....damn.

Whatever he put on you, I might have to send for some medicine from Jamaica to get it off....lol.

Anyway.....

To be honest with you NO I hadn't read the response you gave to Cynque.

I'm not in a habit of reading words intended for someone else.
I do it from time to time as a reference but generally I don't have the time to go through every exchange that really isn't addressed to me.

Infact, the only reason I read Del's post was because the word "vision" in it caught my attention and I like to think of myself as a visionary also.

Your question.

I mean.......
It's obvious that you want to give authors a platform to display their works and after reading your post to Cynique your love of selling books helps me understand what you're trying to do even more. 
But I thought you maybe had an even GRANDER vision like setting up bookstores around the nation or establishing a major publishing institution.

I'd like to see some brothers (and sisters) open up a CHAIN of book stores around the nation like Barnes and Noble but selling a greater variety of not just Black but "underground" books that have long been taken off the market by most White booksellers.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1 when I write here it is for public consumption with the idea that anyone can read and comment on what I write.  If I want to communicate with anyone directly I would email them or message them directly.  In my case, at least, you should read everything I write in a conversation, because I'm assuming you have.  I guess that explains some miscommunication in the past

I'm surprised you felt I was snapping at you. That was not my intent.  Sorry about that.

To explain my mission "in detail" to someone unfamiliar with me and the nature of the web would take a minute. It is like responding to a common question I get, "I just wrote a book, what do I do next?" What seems like a simple question really is not very simple it depends so much on what the person already knows, what their goals are, etc.  Probing to get the detail to provide an adequate response would take more time than I have.  I tell myself I need to craft a genetic response so that when I get that question, I can direct writers to the canned response, rather than ignoring the email.

Pioneer your question deserves a response, but I'd like to take some time to craft it properly, because I know I'll have occasion to use it often. I won't have it done tomorrow or next month, but when it is done I will be sure to share it with you.

But I will tell you this much; selling books or opening a chain of Black-owned bookstores are activities, not a vision in my opinion. The underlying reason for those activities can reveal one's motivations and shed some clue to their vision.

• Like 2

@Pioneer This is a discussion forum. Following your logic there is no need for you to post anywhere. Unless its explicitly stated as oppsed to the default setting of implicitly. 

At first i thought you were unaware of what you are saying.  However you response to Troy about it being obvious and you thought  he had a grander purpose. Is insulting and ungrateful because he is providing  a Free to you forum.

This is a monologue. Although you can try and turn it into a dialogue. 

Troy

Apology accepted but perhaps I may have been reading what you said wrong myself so for THAT I apologize.
It sounded to me like you were irritated at my question as if your vision was so obvious that any fool could have figured it out.

Like I said in the alpha male thread, you can only get so much communicating online or through social media.  You usually have to look at a person face to face to get the full gist of what they're trying to say and the spirit in which they're saying it.

But I will tell you this much; selling books or opening a chain of Black-owned bookstores are activities, not a vision in my opinion. The underlying reason for those activities can reveal one's motivations and shed some clue to their vision.

Interesting observation.
It may not be YOUR vision but it would seem that if a person's goal or ultimate goal is to open up a chain of Black bookstores then it would indeed be THEIR vision.

......unless your idea of a "vision" is the END product or END goal while excluding the process to getting there.

One of my visions is building a progressive Black community in Michigan.
It doesn't really have an "end" goal but it is a continual process.

Del

@Pioneer This is a discussion forum. Following your logic there is no need for you to post anywhere. Unless its explicitly stated as oppsed to the default setting of implicitly.

At first i thought you were unaware of what you are saying. However you response to Troy about it being obvious and you thought he had a grander purpose. Is insulting and ungrateful because he is providing a Free to you forum.

This is a monologue. Although you can try and turn it into a dialogue.

:huh: OK.....seriously....

Bruh....is English your 3rd language or something?

What the hell are you saying?

Can you re-word it or better yet let the more articulate of the two Delano's RE-write this post in a way that can be understood?

BTW.....
Claiming that you're going to "ignore" somebody but then following them around taking little shots here and there isn't very "alpha male'ish".....lol.

Yes "building a progressive Black community in Michigan," is a vision in my book.  The individual steps you taken to accomplish that a vision is not.  

Perhaps my vision can be stated as "developing an independent Black community on the web."  I don't mean independent in terms of being exclusive of anyone else, but independent as in self-sufficient.  Where Black folks reap not just the cultural but the financial benefits. The problem with my vision is that it is exceedingly difficult.one to accomplish.

Overtime, I've learned limiting this vision to the web is short sighted.  It is not like we have independent Black communities in the physical world, and they simply need to be extended to the web. I think the web reflects or amplifies the physical world and that our independence needs to start in the real world...

If the weather were not so jacked up in Michigan I would consider moving there--seriously.

Troy you are a visionary and a hunanitarian. The two things gi hand in hand. The reason i check your site is You (I believe in your vision) , Cynique (your mind is like a good knife, sharp and balanced  (you balance the Leonine and Cancerian aspects)) the discussions . 

My goals and visions are more subscribed. 

Troy

The individual steps you taken to accomplish that a vision is not.

Hmmmm.......
Now for some reason, I find this thought very interesting.

I don't recall hearing people separate the methods from thier goals like that, but I guess most of the time they do.

I've heard some people say that when you have a vision or a goal it's best NOT to think too hard about the steps toward it or the methods to achieve it, just focus on the goal itself.

As far as what you said about an independant Black community on the web.......
I think it goes back to what you were saying in another thread about Black people not wanting to sacrifice anything for a greater good.

I mean, just look at how many Black people have abandoned having their own websites just to flock to Facebook or Twitter for all of their business and social needs.

I'm tired of soulfood resturants and barbershops forcing you to sign up with Facebook just to see their menu or product line.
They don't want to take the time to buy and design a professional website.
They'd rather take the easiest and cheapest route and add an extra page to their facebook account with their business attached to it.

So tacky.......