Oldies but Goodies part

From time to time people provide links to songs they want to share with others for one reason or another. Since it's a slow day, I'll indulge my personal tastes.

Music lovers know that good music is good music, and the passage of time doesn’t alter this. My first choice is a song that became popular around 1950. It is entitled “It’s a Blue World” and was a ground-breaking record because it set the bar for all the crooning male singing groups that came after, including The Temptations, who cited The Four Freshmen as the vocal quartet which had inspired and influenced them most.

As is the case in all of their selections, the Four Freshmen’s 4-part harmonizing on “It’s Blue World” is ethereal and pitch-perfect, its unique sound achieved by voices soaring into an uncharted realm,

Although only one original member of this highly-acclaimed group is still alive, over the years, their albums have continued to sell, with old members being replaced buy new younger ones dedicated to preserving the distinct sound of what eventually became a franchise. Today, a Four Freshmen ensemble is still performing in small venues all over the world.

I first heard “It’s a Blue World” on the radio and was blown away. I wanted to rush right out and buy it but I didn’t catch the name of the artists and my interest faded. When I met my husband a couple of months later, and discovered that he had this selection in his record collection, his approval rating immediately shot up. When we sang along with it he would sing the baritone part and I would sing alto. While he was away in the Air Force this was one of “our” songs. I cannot hear it today without thinking of him.

Listening to this old romantic ballad might be a new experience for those whose ears are more attuned to the styles and genres of today. I’m sure some will find it sappy or square but anybody who has an ear for music cannot help but appreciate this perfect melodic blend of a what is equivalent to a human chord, - a sound that is as fresh today as it was 60 years ago.

The other song I am posting is entitled “60-Minute Man" by the Dominos and is at the other end of the spectrum. A popular favorite of the 1950s, this recording is a classic example of doo wop music.

The 4 Freshman made songs to listen to; the Doo-Wop groups put out music to dance by. Doo-wop music usually featured a tenor with a high falsetto voice and a deep throated bass singer who kept the beat. The lyrics typically celebrated or denounced the virtues of the ubiquitous “my baby”.

Back in the day, no basement party with blue lights was complete without a good selection of Doo Wop songs to dance the "bop" to or do the "slow drag" on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCeI0e7EKDc

Cynique another wonderful slice of life from earlier time. I've never heard either of these songs. I really liked 60 minute man great tune and lyrics (today I guess they would say hey B--ch! I'll f--k you all night long!).

I can't say that I cared for the first song. It was really slooooow. I listened to is three time, but I'm sure it won;t gow on me either. I hope that does not lower your impressions of me too much ;-) The four freshmen made me think of Take Six who I throughly enjoy.

Thanks again for taking the time, and dealing with the technical difficulties, to share this with us!

LOL. I understand Troy. "It's Blue World" lives up to its title, and is reflective of the slow pace of life back in the 1950s. The selling point of the record is the showcasing of the vocal musicianship that spawned the perfect harmony.

Not to worry. This just gives me a chance to again play with my new toy and provides a link to a more upbeat song by the Freshmen. BTW, I always thought BOYZ 2 Men were kind of reminiscent of this group.