25 African Women Writers You Should Read

I'm working more closely with authors and publishers across the African Diaspora and Africa.  Over the years I've discovered restricting the books I cover and the audience I attempt to reach to American is unnecessarily limiting.  In fact, it is narrow-minded.  Here are 25 female African writers you should read.  Some have realized great fame and wealth in the Unites States.  Others are relatively unknown in America but are very successful in their respective countries.

These writers come from different African nations and write across genres.  Who won't go wrong reading any of their books.  Actually, since I add ever book on this site by hand, that should go without saying ;-)

25_African_Authors_You_Should_Read.png

• Like 1

As some of you know I not using social media for at least 6 months. Instead I'm using other websites to help promote my content.

So for this list I ran a Google search to find articles and other lists on other websites where I might be able to share a link to my page.

During my search it was interesting to discover so many articles on the issue of African writers who feel they are the flavor of the day. It was interesting because I noticed this trend myself. here in US, African authors dominate disproportionately book deals and the media's attention in general relative to Black writers.

However the same was true for the media's outsized focus on Urban fiction before that African writers, and chicklet before Urban fiction...

The attention paid to Black writers goes through ups and downs the sad part is that black people control none of these trends we rely solely upon white corporate media media and we react accordingly.

When was the last time you read an article about Urban fiction? With the exception Ray Brown's Good2go publishing  https://aalbc.com/authors/imprint.php?imprint=Good2go+Publishing there is no urban fiction promotion here. It is not like the readers of the genre went away all of a sudden, they are just ignored.

And we can't do anything about it...at least right now.

• Like 1