Book Review Request - Condition Red by Yusef Komunyakaa

Guest Sam Killian

Guest Sam Killian

Hello,

I'm writing from the University of Michigan Press with a book that should be of interest to your readers. Condition Red collects writing by one of America’s most gifted and revered poets, Pulitzer Prize winner Yusef Komunyakaa.  While themes from his earlier prose collection, Blue Notes (which I believe you also reviewed), run through Condition Red, this volume expresses a greater sense of urgency about the human condition and the role of the artist. Condition Red includes his powerful letter to Poetry magazine, asserting that “we writers (artists) cannot forget that we are responsible for what we conjure and embrace through language, whether in essays, novels, plays, poems, or songs.” Also included are essays and interviews on: coming home to Bogalusa, Louisiana; the influence of religion on black poetry; language and eroticism; the visual artist Floyd Tunson; and the poets Robert Hayden, Walt Whitman, Clarence Major, and Etheridge Knight. We would love for you to review another of his books and would gladly send you a copy for consideration. Should you be interested, please email me at killians@umich.edu to let me know where I can mail you a copy. Thank you very much for your time and let me know if you require any additional information.

All the best,

Sam Killian

Publicity and Promotions Coordinator

University of Michigan Press

killians@umich.edu

• Like 1