Ten bands I have seen and one I didn't

LOL Prince concerts are the only ones I attended in the last 30 years. I've never been to a Michael Jackson one. Back in the late '50s and early '60s I saw several jazz artists performing at small night club venues and quite a few of them at a Playboy Magazine jazz fest.

Charlie Parker

Miles Davis

Dave Brubeck

Max Roach

Sarah Vaughn

Ella Fitzgerald

Nancy Wilson

Duke Ellington

Count Basie

Joe Williams

• Like 2

BB King doesn't sing when he plays 

Nancy Wilson slayed guess who i say yesterday 

Heard Corey Glover. Vernon Reid and Doug Wumbush side projects.

I was hanging out with Roy Ayers agter his concert. I said when you were playing steam was coming off of you. He said  , " If I didn't sweat I wasn't working!"

Edited by Delano

I discovered Living Colour in San Antonio.  A band was covering one of their songs and I went up after the set asked the name of the song, they told me who the song was by and I purchased the CD the next day this was the summer of 1991.

Years later I learned they were from the city and I've seen them or Corey several times.  Most recently during a free concert walking distance from where I live. 

Waddya mean BB doesn't not sing?

I met Nacy Wilson once. She struck me as classy, fine-looking, older lady.  I never heard her sing live, Actually, I'm not sure if can still perform.  She must have been something to see in her prime.

Cynique I would have LOVED to see all the folks you saw live, in their prime--I can't image.  When you saw Ellington and Basie, were they on a bandstand?  Where you and your husband sitting at little tables drinking and smoking, and able to dance when they performed--you know like you see in the movies?

Back in the day, the  CHICAGO THEATER  located in this city's famous loop district was not only a place where movies were shown but where artists would perform live on stage between pictures, and this is where I saw Count Basie and Duke Ellington and their orchestras also Nat "King" Cole and Billy Eckstein who I forgot to mention. . Charlie Parker I saw at a black show lounge on Chicago's south side.  He was in decline when I saw him, and it was obvious he was high. 

People like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, Sara Vaughn, Nancy Wilson, Carmen McRae just to name a few, would appear  in Chicago's loop at intimate little jazz clubs where you sat at tables, and smoked and drank, but never danced.   The first  Playboy jazz fest, was held in Chicago's Civic Opera house and was a 3-day extravaganza and this is where I saw Ella, and Billie Holiday, and Dizzy Gillespie who I also forgot to mention.There were too many greats at this affair to even list.  

The only place where I'd dance would be at the local America Legion Hall, where they'be be playing R&B And Blues music. We'd be doing  the Bop,  the Twist, the Watusi, the Funky Broadway, the Bump  and the Chicken. By the time the Running Man and Twerking came out, I'd retired from the scene.  I did try and keep up with line-dancing for a minute but every time i'd learn the latest one, a new more complicated one would come out. Now I am a content to just watch. 

The Jitterbug was still popular when I was in high school and we'd do it at "Quarter" parties, held in basements.

Fun times.   

• Like 2

Yeah it is great to see talented singers and musicians perform.

I also saw Dizzy play.  It was at a Jazzy club called the Blue Note in Greenwich village.  I was close enough to touch him. He even winked at me--a very charismatic guy.  The Blue Note was the club where I saw Ray Charles.  Again, I sat at a table next to the stage. Ray was some performer too; He had 25 people on the stage, which for the Blue Note is a ton of people.  It was a terrific show!

The Bue Note is tight, but one of my favorite venue for catching a show.

Moving away from Jazz

Recently Cuba Gooding Sr. passed (RIP), I saw him perform at a small club in he city. Sharon Jones (RIP) and the Dap KIngs were very entertaining too.

Hey, Del that concert where I ran into you when the Ohio Players were playing for free in the park.  That was one of my favorite concerts.  I'd seen the Ohio Player perform before but they did not have a horn section and used a keyboard instead. But that funk concert in Prospect park, sitting on blankets, drinking beer and listening to my favorite tunes performed live by musicians was sublime.:)

I'm glad I remember a time before boasting over looped samples while pacing back and forth across the stage became so popular.

• Like 1