Amazon's Echo Look, Elevating Our Inner Narcissist

Amazon‘s is profiting from our insecurities with one hand and taking away jobs with the other. Amazon launched this product yesterday.  

Someone who knew this would tickle my fancy emailed it to me about it. I blogged about it, "Amazon‘s Echo Look: Exploiting Our Inner Narcissist." 

It seems strange to me that anyone would want this gizmo, but I know Amazon understand people very well, so I'm sure there is a sizeable market.

Boy, in a world where companies can profit by writing code that tells women and metrosexuals what to wear, writing code to books makes one feel like an anachronism.

Delano, I am a technological dinosaur.

This is off topic but...........

Troy you want to know how and why I've arrived at some of my conclusions when it comes to racial classification?

Just look at the so-called "Black" women represented in this commercial.

Every one of them (I counted 3) are lighter than a brown paper bag and look mixed.
But if you dare raise a complaint to Amazon about there not being any Black women in their ads they will just point to these women, look back at you with their arms folded, and most people will consider the case closed.

Girls who grow up not seeing themselves in society or atleast not seeing women who look like them being portrayed in a positive light (ofcourse you can see plenty of dark skinned "nappy" head women for the first 5 minutes on your local 10 oclock news) they often grow up with severe psychological problems.

The White women (and man) look clearly White and unmixed.
The Asian women looks clearly Asian and unmixed to me.
Out of 3 presumably "Black" women they chose for this ad, does anyone believe it's just a coincidence that they couldn't find atleast ONE who was a shade darker than a brown paper bag.

For what it's worth, our girl Leslie Jones as well as Academy Award winner VIola Davis both dark-skinned women were among the black people who made TIME Magazine's 100 most influential list.

The wild natural hair style worn by the woman of color in this commericial  makes up for skin tone an kills two birds with one stone, reflecting black and mixed.

• Like 1

Viola Davis I can understand.

Leslie Jones....I don't know WHO the hell she's "influencing".
I think her disgraceful and vulgar behavior on Saturday Night does a huge disservice to AfroAmericans in general and AfroAmerican women in particular.

Being bold, vulgar, and brash aren't attributes most "ladies" aspire to so I'm not sure why Time is rewarding her with that type of publicity UNLESS it is their aim to:
1. Make mockery of Black women by putting a vulgar one on display
2. Use Leslie Jones to "influence" Black girls to behave as she does

...or maybe Time Magazine looked beyond the superficial points you describe @Pioneer1 and evaluated these sistaz on their cultural, artistic, and business influence.  Perhaps these two ladies are movers and shakers, making decisions behind the scenes that impact our lives in ways you are unaware. 

Now, of course, I do not believe Time actually did that; I think they just came up with a list to attract the most attention and conversation.  I was unaware of the list and have not interest in it, but here I am talking about it.  I'm certain one of the lurkers reading this conversation will be prompted to see who else is on the list, driving revenue to the site--mission accomplished.

Pioneer maybe you should come up wth a published your own list. I'll help share it.

@Cynique, I'm surprised Oprah did not make the list.

I would put Steve Harvey, Wendy Williams, and Al Sharpton on my list of 100 most influential Black people. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, Troy said:

@Troy  How can I follow your blog?  I follow you but I don't get notification (and yes I did indicate I want email notification) but I'm not getting any notices on site or in my email.  I do get the newsletters, so I'm thinking I'm missing something. 

OMG this is a major reason why people are getting dumber every day!  [M-W-Definition : 7:  not having the capability to process data] 

Even if we put aside someone having intimate knowledge of us that isn't an intimate partner; even if we put aside not being a mark - - why are we turning our allowing our learning process over to a gadget?   Or what about the fact, that if we use these types of gadgets we begin to lose sense of self.  No one can tell me what I like to wear... I don't care if no one finds what I wear attractive, if I feel comfortable or it makes me feel good about me, I'm wearing it! No one gets a vote on my existence - yet here's a gadget that encourages me to get opinions from outside strangers.  

Pro/con this is a perfect gadget for clothing designers/retailers/stylists . But I can't see why they would want to turn over their trade secrets to the competition?  

@Mel Hopkins my blog https://aalbc.com/blog uses Wordpress, so the blog should be followable, but I'll have to look into why you are not being alerted.

Mel, the bottom line is that gadget is designed to generate revenue for Amazon, in ways that we have no way of fully appreciating because we are not being told.

Again Amazon is preying on and exploiting our insecurities for a payday.  However, they are quite slick in the presentation of the product as something helpful and innocuous.

Harking back to our other discussion, the choice here is a false one, because we are ignorant of what we are buying.  Any negative impact can;t be blamed on the consumer, because they did not understand what they were getting into like the people who becomes addicted to cigarettes, or sugary foods.

It is interesting to consider @Pioneer1 's point about Time in the context of the treatment of Viola's presentation

14 minutes ago, Troy said:

@Mel Hopkins my blog https://aalbc.com/blog uses Wordpress, so the blog should be followable, but I'll have to look into why you are not being alerted.

No, wordpress is saying it can't be found.  boo!

15 minutes ago, Troy said:

It is interesting to consider @Pioneer1 's point about Time in the context of the treatment of Viola's presentation

@Troy I like Viola's picture - It captures a youthful innocence and joy that seems to be missing from so many photos/selfies today.  

Anyway, this gadget may appear to be innocent to buyers but I don't like for the reasons I mentioned above... It dumbs down the end-user by  interrupting  the learning process.

Del as a standalone product, the relative merits of Echo Look are debatable, but in the context of everything else Amazon is doing, I don't see how any of the benefits outweigh the downsides.

btw, you don't have to copy the post before replying to it (i deleted it).

Edited by Troy
edited for clarity
  • Like 1