Fannie Lou Hammer what a remarkable woman

Moving Fannie Lou Hamer's page to the new format and I stumbled across her full testimony at the Democratic National Convention, August 22, 1964, Credentials Committee.  Previously I'd only heard an excerpt.  

I can't imagine standing up to overt racism, in the deep south, the way she did. I spend enough time in Florida to have confronted over racism in 2017, but that is nothing compared to 50 years ago.  I can't even image sharecropping.  I had a job when I was 14 working in Central Park, pulling weeds and stuff like that.  It was exhausting work--I can't image a life of that drudgery...

Hamer is a remarkable woman brave and a brilliant orator.

• Like 1

Troy

I had a job when I was 14 working in Central Park, pulling weeds and stuff like that. It was exhausting work--I can't image a life of that drudgery...

Now see.....
You were jumping all over me in the other thread accusing me of being a house slave, but here YOU are ready to fall out after pulling up a few dandelions in the park!

Man, if you couldn't handle picking weeds in Central Park no way in the WORLD could you have handled picking cotton on a Mississippi plantation, lol.

;)  Just about the only thing you could have done was find one of those coats with the split tail in the back and gets to being the BEST house negro you could be.....lol.

• Like 1

LOL!  @Pioneer1, (here is where I would normally use the N-word), who you telling! 

There is no way I could have survived in those fields. I've been to the Mississippi Delta those white folks down there don't play.

You probably would have made a good overseer, anything preferable to slaving away n them fields huh?

• Like 1

I KNOW I wouldn't have lasted too long out there.  I tend to be too much of a "thinker" for strenous manual labor.

Not saying that I'm some genius or "deep thinker".....I mean that when it comes to working, rather than "just doing" something, I'll often sit for a while and think of different easier ways to do it.....especially when it comes to sweating and heavy laboring.

I would have constantly been in trouble with not only the White folks running the plantation but probably the other slaves too because I would have spent much of the time trying to figure out a way to get all the work expected of me done by noon so I could go somwhere and hide and take a nap...lol.

And I've always been that way, even as a teenager mopping floors, bussing tables, and laying carpet.  I used to have battles with some managers because I'd always find easier ways to do whatever jobs they gave me.
In MY mind, you're paying me to get the job done....not sweat....so if I can get the same thing done with half the effort then what's the big deal?

But as I got older I learned that a lot of them were more concerned with seeing you sweat and staying busy than the actual amount of work you got done.
In the service industry, mediocre workers who "stay busy" are often treated better than high producers who slack off.

• Like 1