Well, the latest controversy lighting up the media once again deals with the word whose power knows no bounds! No sooner has  LeBron James  appeared before the cameras to lament how no black man is immune to being called a nigger, than HBO talk show host Bill Maher takes the spotlight by inadvertantly referring to himself as a "house nigger" when the republican Senator from Nebraska he was interviewing, invited Maher to come work in the fields of his state.

Everybody has an opinion about this and Maher who is considered a progressive  and who put his money where his mouth was in donating 1,000,000 dollars to Obama's  treasure chest, - and who is rumored to have a black girlfriend, has naturally apologized and many have noted that he didn't call a black person by the n-word but instead co-opted it in referring to himself as a "house nigga". 

i'm not gonna sweat Bill Maher because he has on any number of occasion honestly poked fun at himself for benefiting from white privilege and the racism inherent in this .  And lately he has really shot down the Trump administration and chastised the wimpy Democrats and Liberals, making points that i agree with.  I also agree with him about many other issues involving this country's worship of comic book superheroes and bratty kids reeking with a sense of entitlement, and the myth and hypocrisy of religion. So i forgive him and am glad HBO has no intention of firing him. I also agree with those who give comedians a pass when they push the envelop in order to provoke and deliver messages that require us to laugh at our foibles.  i like edgy satirical comedy.

People could cite me about resenting white folks using "nigger" when i, myself, use the world "nigga". To me, there is just a difference.  "Nigga" is of the black street vernacular and is unique in that is just rolls off your tongue and has so many intricate nuances in its varied usage, all of which make it  the sole possession of black folks.  The term "nigger" is a hard word , one that literally  requires your face to sneer when you use it, and white folks have perfected the art of infusing it with contempt. I also think blacks are just as guilty of empowering the word as whites are. 

But, that's just me.

• Like 1

@Cynique YES, to  ALL of what you've written !!! 

And especially this part

20 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Bill Maher takes the spotlight by inadvertantly referring to himself as a "house nigger" when the republican Senator from Nebraska he was interviewing, invited Maher to come work in the fields of his state.

This was the huge wake up call for me, considering his position sitting behind that desk - being paid obscene amounts of cash for poking fun at the system... If we look at the slave-wage industry for what it is he really is the House N-er...and the rest of poor working folks are out in the fields... for real.   

• Like 1

I never did trust Bill Maher too much.

I'm actually a fan of his....I love watching his show.

He's articulate the way he comes at the right and his points are excellent, but every now and then he get's a little careless and the TRUTH slips out about how he really feels about certain things so my antenna is always raised around him.

And he's constantly going off on Arabs and talking about how Western culture is superior to Arab and Middle Eastern culture.

I remember back in the 90s when Chris Rock was doing his "Black people versus Niggaz" rant on the regular, some White people praised Chris Rock for being one of the few Black entertainers who was brave enough to hold Black people accountable for the negativity in their community.

Bill was one of them, and I remember on his show he asked something along the lines of "where is the Arab or Muslim Chris Rock?"
Insinuating the Arabs need someone who will get on television and criticize the hell out of their own people like Chris did.

So I'm not suprised that he'd say something like this.

I look at it like this: We have bigger fish to fry.

The man called HIMSELF a house nigger so........let him be one if he wants to.