Critical vs Analytical Think

Critical thinking is a term that we hear a lot, but many people don't really stop to think about what it means or how to use it. This lesson will tell you exactly what it means and make you realize that the average person largely ignores critical thinking.

Critical Thinking Defined

Critical thinking means making reasoned judgments that are logical and well-thought out. It is a way of thinking in which you don't simply accept all arguments and conclusions you are exposed to but rather have an attitude involving questioning such arguments and conclusions. It requires wanting to see what evidence is involved to support a particular argument or conclusion. People who use critical thinking are the ones who say things such as, 'How do you know that? Is this conclusion based on evidence or gut feelings?' and 'Are there alternative possibilities when given new pieces of information?'

Additionally, critical thinking can be divided into the following three core skills:

Curiosity is the desire to learn more information and seek evidence as well as being open to new ideas.Skepticism involves having a healthy questioning attitude about new information that you are exposed to and not blindly believing everything everyone tells you.Finally, humility is the ability to admit that your opinions and ideas are wrong when faced with new convincing evidence that states otherwise.Using Critical Thinking Skills

• Like 2

Some people tend to think more analytically, while some are creative thinkers by nature. Is creativity an important skill for solving problems? In this lesson, we'll learn the differences between creative and analytical thinking and discover ways to nurture creative thinking.

Consider this question: How many different arrangements can there be of the letters in the word cat? How did you go about answering it? You probably either worked out the possibilities by hand (cat, cta, act, atc, tca, tac), or, if you've studied how to solve problems of combination and permutation in math class, you might have applied a mathematical formula called a factorial. Three factorial is equal to three, times two, times one, because any factorial is that number multiplied by all the numbers down to one (3! = 3 x 2 x 1). At any rate, this question has one correct answer: there are six possible arrangements of the three letters.

People who are good at answering questions with a single correct answer are said to have high analytical intelligence.

Now consider this scenario: you want to sit at a given table, but the only available chair at the table is broken; the chair only has three legs. What can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table?

How did you go about answering this question? How many possible solutions did you imagine?

Unlike our first question, this second one has no single 'correct' answer. Maybe you'd find something to serve as the fourth leg, or otherwise repair the chair. Maybe you'd prop the chair against a leg of the table to help stabilize it in some way. Maybe you'd move the broken chair out of the way, and pull up something else to sit on. Coming up with multiple solutions to a single problem is known as divergent thinking. Divergent thinking has been linked to creativity, or the ability to come up with new and valuable ideas.

Although some psychologists have argued that IQ tests focus too much on analytical intelligence and ignore creativity, people who score well on intelligence tests tend do well on tests that are specifically designed to assess creativity. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Delano said:

Now consider this scenario: you want to sit at a given table, but the only available chair at the table is broken; the chair only has three legs. What can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table?

And if we included Personal Intelligence , we can use the 3 legged chair as a foot stool because possibly one person who is already seated might be willing to share his/her seat and or lap . :D

• Like 1

Or social intelligence. My partner said take it to a repair shop. I said sit opposite with a majority of your weight 180 degrees away from tbe missing leg and position your leg as the proxy chair leg. Or prop up the chair. 

So i tend to think mathematically, poetically or esoterically or intuition. 

• Like 2

The question was what can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table.
Not sure what you MEANT, but based on what you SAID the goal is to sit at the table...not necessarily sit on that broken chair.
So we can resolve the issue a number of ways:

1. FIX the broken chair

2. Put it to the side and ask for someone else's chair to sit in.

3. Or like Mel said, you can put it to the side and ask to sit on somebody's lap
(You ain't foolin' me Mel, that's how you REALLY got them husbands!!!
Not with some damn mashpotatoes and pork chops....lol)

Problem is, most people who have laps strong enough to hold my weight.....are people who's laps I wouldn't want to sit on, lol.

4. Or simply go find ANOTHER CHAIR that's not at the table and bring it to the table to sit on.

24 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

The question was what can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table.
Not sure what you MEANT, but based on what you SAID the goal is to sit at the table...not necessarily sit on that broken chair.
So we can resolve the issue a number of ways:

1. FIX the broken chair

2. Put it to the side and ask for someone else's chair to sit in.

3. Or like Mel said, you can put it to the side and ask to sit on somebody's lap
(You ain't foolin' me Mel, that's how you REALLY got them husbands!!!
Not with some damn mashpotatoes and pork chops....lol)

Problem is, most people who have laps strong enough to hold my weight.....are people who's laps I wouldn't want to sit on, lol.

4. Or simply go find ANOTHER CHAIR that's not at the table and bring it to the table to sit on.

4 isn't an option. However the answers are informative. Mel's is more social. Pioneer's is a request or demand not sure. Mine doesn't require a social interaction.

Del

4 isn't an option. However the answers are informative. Mel's is more social. Pioneer's is a request or demand not sure. Mine doesn't require a social interaction

Why is not 4 an option?

You said the only available chair AT THE TABLE was broken, you didn't specifically rule out the option of other chairs being near by nor did you rule out their availability for sitting in.

Your only focus was doing something with the broken chair and sitting at the table.

Again, tossing that broken ass chair to the side and grabbing another one from the kitchen covers both....lol.

Reread the statement.

It's a subtle point, that i hadn't noticed.

Well  hell, if you gave us a scenario with points that YOU hadn't even noticed, then that means there are OPTIONS that you probably didn't think of also.....like the ones I provided, lol.

So let's look at it again:
"Now consider this scenario: you want to sit at a given table, but the only available chair at the table is broken; the chair only has three legs. What can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table?"

Not what can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit ON IT at the table.

My options are actually quite practical because you'd have to use them in real life.

What if you wake up to go to work in the morning and find you have a flat tire on your car.
Do you stand around for 2 hours scratching your head trying to figure out how to fix the flat, or do you consider other methods of getting to work incase you can't fix it?

Your analytics is commendable, but the reading comprehension is letting you down. Yes there are options that I hadn't considered. However I was aware of that being the case. I will give you a hint my answer is right. It is not a trick question, but it requires you to read the sentence verbatim. And then start thinking. I wouldn't have thought of your answer or Mel's for that matter. You and Mel are more similar in that your approach had a social component. Whereas both of mine were not.

I have been thinking about what i would do in this situation if i felt it absolutely necessary to stay in it.  Finally, i decided that i would sit on the chair and make my own leg the 4th leg while securing myself with my crossed arms resting on the table. :huh: 

LOL. Right,  Funny i didn't realize that you said almost the same thing.  It just seemed to me there was no other way. Something or - someone can be broken but still functional through improvisation. .  

• Like 1

Del

You and Mel are more similar in that your approach had a social component. Whereas both of mine were not

Yes and our solutions have a degree of independence.

I gave you FOUR options.

2 of them involved relying on the graces of other people.
2 of them were INDEPENDANT and didn't require other people to do anything.

Del

Pioneer I thought you just were paraphrasing. Did you have any thoughts before reading the other posts.

LIke you said earlier, comprehending what you're saying sometimes is a bit of a problem.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you ask did I have any other thoughts before reading other posts.

Ofcourse I always think about what is being presented to me.

When you presented the problem, I sat for a few minutes and thought up some solutions.

Besides Mel's suggestion (quite telling I must say....lol) of sitting on somebody's lap which I included as one solution....nothing anyone else posted influenced my other three solutions.

The only original response by you was get option 4. Which isn't a valid solution. You have the only response that isn't valid. You stopped thinking to early. This is the other half of the puzzle.

What can you do with the broken chair to be able to sit at the table? Option 4 does nothing with the broken chair. Everyone else utilizes the chair in their post. Sometimes you can be so focused that you miss the question. However I wouldn't have thought of your answer.

Del

Option 4 does nothing with the broken chair. Everyone else utilizes the chair in their post. Sometimes you can be so focused that you miss the question. However I wouldn't have thought of your answer.

Lol, it was presumed that I would move the chair to the side in option 4 but I neglected to mention that so I'll take the strike on that one.

What about my other 3 options that clearly does something with the chair?

Will you ignore all 3 practical solutions just to focus on one flawed one?