Black-Unity! Terrance Amen.

Book Called Black Unity. Author Talks About How Black ,People Spend  Money, In, Other Communities But  Not, There Own. He Talks About A National Plan For Education,Health,Business And Finance..If He,Attempts This,Good Luck. Street Gang Violence,Crack Houses,Pimps,Pimp Houses. Community Leaders,Politicians,Preachers Who Love And Worship Money,NAACP ,Would Be Reasons It Would Not Work. .Black,Leaders Who Cannot Lead,And Black People Cannot Trust. His Strategy Sounds Like The 7 Kwanzaa Principles..

Hey @harry brown , I just read an excerpt from Black Unity: The Total Solution to Financial Independence and Happiness by Terrance Amen, which came out back in December of 2011. I just read the excerpt.

The idea is that Black folks would form an organization in which we would pool our resources, provide our own education, use our own services and keep the money within our own community.  Our spending power is more than many nations and if we simply choose to wield it in an organized fashion we would all be much better off.  Of course, this sounds great in theory but would be virtually impossible in practice.

Harry I'm not sure if you've noticed but the handful of folks who post here regularly can have profound disagreements on a wide variety of topics.  We've willing to talk about and understand the nature of our differences (at least I think we are) but most people are not nearly so open.

We also have the another problem; the hope for the American Dream, which often means a nice corporate gig, a home in a nice white neighborhood replete with white-run schools and business, and for some a nice white spouse. This lifestyle choice is perfectly rational, in an American context.  White neighborhoods are provided with better services and the families in them enjoy better outcomes; less crime, better schools, higher property values, nicer stores, better parks, etc, etc.

It would be entirely unrealistic to expect large nubers of families to give up a relatively comfortable life to struggle with the masses.  People tend to do what they feel is in their best interest. The tremendous buying power of Black folks largely belongs to people who are fairly secure, and not likely to direct resources and support.  People will support their local Church, maybe a Greek letter organization, or some other social club, but supporting some unformed organization with the grandiose goal of unifying all Black people globally--forget about it...

I, for example, could not have run AALBC.com full time before reaching middle age.  I needed money, I wanted to travel, raise a family and have a comfortable life.  I could not have done that with the money I earn from AALBC.com.  A significant part of the reason is a lack of support from Black folk.  

I have trouble getting folks to pay full retail price for a book when buying it directly from AALBC.com--instead, they choose to support the white-owned Amazon.  Again I understand the reasoning. Why pay full price from me, when Amazon will sell them the book for 40% off and get it to you the next day (same day in NYC) with free shipping?  That is a rational decision, right?  Maybe.

I say maybe because AALBC provides services that Amazon does not. As more people support Amazon rather than an AALBC.com, AALBC.com growth is constrained.  The upgrade which will take two years could have been done 5 years ago in less that 3 months with more resources.  

This is exactly why we have fewer book sites today than we had 10 years ago and all the ones still active struggle.  I envied some of those sites that no longer exist because they were doing great things, but readers will never enjoy those sites because they are gone now and were never able to realize their full potential.

Now I can explain to people that Amazon is supported by Wall Street investors who gives them money to grow.  This allows Amazon to sell books at a loss, kill competition, and dominate a market. This is uninteresting-they just want cheap books.

Meanwhile, I have to actually cover my expenses--no one is just giving me money to AALBC.com grow (well a few people are but not nearly enough).

That is just one example.  Now extend this across the entire landscape of products and services, and you begin to see how challenging a proposition it would be to get a critical mass of Black folks to support Black business.  

41DhPaJpDuL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgblack-unity.png

• Like 1