Tommy Sotomayor

Guest Jazmyhn

Guest Jazmyhn

Has anyone here heard of this black male who makes it clear that he believes black women - specifically darkskinned ones - are violent, hair hatted ghetto hooligans?

I have to admit...some things he says about them is VERY true.   Seems like A LOT of them keep an attitude, are bitter, bald and barbaric as hell.

The dysfunction of Black male/female relationships gets a lot of attention in Atlanta.  I'm beginning to believe too many people believe the hype. Perhaps it is time time give some shine to the positive thing going on with this subject.  

Imagine attention given to talking about successful relationships.  Instead of Real House Wives of Atlanta, how about a show about normal folks who work together to raise their families and get along and and do fun things with each other. I guess that show would be too boring, huh?

But no I never heard of the guy, until I approved this post and looked him up.  The subject is not my cup of tea, but I understand why he would be quite popular--especially in Atlanta.

I've heard of him.

I believe him and Tariq Nasheed (Hidden Colors producer) got into some sort of altercation not too long ago.
Now Tariq routinely insults him on his show with a puppet doll and calls him "crispy".....lol.

I lived in Atlanta briefly and I didn't detect any real friction between Black men and women there. Infact, I've hooked up with a few good sisters in the ATL.

I've seen cities that were much worse.....like Chicago and Philadelphia where you can't even LOOK at a Black woman on the street without her having an attitude or rolling her eyes.

Infact, back in the 90s Atlanta was KNOWN to have some of the finest sistaz in the country...lol.

I remember they used to have the Freaknic back in the day.

But the thing I really noticed about Atlanta when I first arrived was the very large population of gay and effeminate Black men.
I call it the San Francisco of the South.

I remember visiting Morehouse College for the first time and being amazed at so many young men walking around in skirts and high heels.....WTF!

It's funny that both Atlanta and San Francisco have high gay populations and both cities have some of the most attractive women in the nation.
I don't know if there's some sort of correlation....lol.

But I didn't see nor did I experience ANY problems with Black women in the ATL.

Perhaps this is because I didn't hang out in the hood.

I stomped around Buckhead and the Lenox Square area trying to get as close to the rich and famous negroes as I could....lol.

ATL does have some fine women!  Is talking like that, in mixed company, considered sexist today?  Anywho, that is the thing that strikes me every time I visit. The city has more than it's share of beautiful Black people. 

Troy

Is talking like that, in mixed company, considered sexist today?

Your statement is harmless and quite flattering, but do you know I actually got in trouble over a comment similar to that at a job many years ago?

I used to work in a store as a cashier and one very slow day it was me, 2 other male employees and about 5 female employees all bunched up together joking around.
Our manager complained about all of us being up front and said there were too many people congregated in one place.
I jokingly said I didn't know there was any such thing as "too many women" in one place.
The manager was female and didn't mind it, but later she called me in the office and gave me a verbal warning because one of the females there who heard me say it complained!

Sexual harassment and related offenses have changed a lot over the years as the work place has gotten more and more strict.

The problem with this type of talk is........

I've found that some women LOVE it when men talk this way because it makes us look masculine and brave....like we're challenging the system and bucking the norm.
Other women really do find it offensive.

So like you said, in mixed company you never know who you're offended or what they think of it.

A lot of times women who aren't offended actually PRETEND to be offended when they're around other women because they're conditioned to believe that's how they SHOULD act when a man makes a sexual joke or comment.
Even if they really find it charming, they are taught they should be offended by it.

And I believe a lot of this offense and outrage is race-related.

Anywho, that is the thing that strikes me every time I visit. The city has more than it's share of beautiful Black people.

That's what I love about Atlanta.
It seems to attract some of the finest Black women some of the most professional Black people in general, I believe it's because of all the Black colleges.

Washington D.C. and Baltimore also has a lot of Black professionals, but those cities are so old and crumbling that they really don't compare to a newer more cosmopolitan Atlanta.

I wanted Detroit to be that way.
It's actually Blacker than Atlanta but doesn't have the Black professional class Atlanta has.
I know a lot of brothers and sisters I grew up with who left Detroit just to go down and establish themsleves in Atlanta, and you can probably say the same.
Most of the people who live in Atlanta aren't even from there but are Black folks from the Eastcoast Westcoast and North who just flocked down there to make a new life for themselves.

You may be right @Pioneer1, but I can see someone being offended by what really should be perceived as a compliment.  Political correctness has gone too far.  because it masks what people really feel.

I watch the HBO's Real Time with Bil Maher, recently Maher said, during an interview he was giving with another rich white guy that, "I'm a house nigger."  It was a dumb joke which fell flat. However apparently a lot of people where "outraged" by the statement.

I was not outraged. Bill was making it plain who he was and I was not surprised.  This is the same guy you dated "Superhead."

The next show, Bill had Michael Eric Dyson, on his show, in an act of contrition to placate the Black masses and his white liberal audience and maybe keep his job (who knows).  To me that make his stupid joke worse because Maher, flaunted his rich white privilege by trotting out a couple of  his Negro firends (Dyson and Ice Cube) to chastise him--but not too hard.

Basically Bill Maher was rubbing our noses in the fact that he can go around dropping the N-bombs on TV and all he has to do is trot out a couple of his Black friends and now we are supposed to believe he is conscious, as if that was the first time and last tie he'll use the word "nigger." Phulese!

@Troy What do you think Maher should've done about this incident with a Republican senator from Nebraska who invited him to come work in the fields in his home state?  Ignore it in the hope that it would go away?  I appreciate that Maher didn't grovel and beg to be forgiven. He simply apologized and offered an explanation for his faux pas, saying comedians take risks and push buttons to get a laugh Meanwhile in their appearances on the show a week later, Dyson went into his spiel and Ice Cube  went into his rap, both of  them empowering the word nigga/nigger by explaining how deeply it wounds them. Bill didn't have to flaunt his white privilege, they elevated it with their mawkish vulnerability.  I'm sure their appearances also elevated the show's ratings.

Maher readily admits that he benefits from white entitlement and that he is inadvertantly racist.  That's about all  impotent blacks  can ask from whites who  are their political allies against lying, right-wing Conservative, white supremist Republicans as well as the phony, spineless, ineffective, Democrat  Liberals who Maher regularly excoriates.   

Political correctness has reached the point of being in the eye of the beholder. 

Troy

I'll be totally honest with you.
When I heard Bill say that, I didn't flinch and I really didn't think anything of it.

First of all he was calling himself a house nigger, not a Black person.
Second, although there's some shady shit he's said in the past that I don't care too much for I do think he's somewhat of an "ally" being a strong and articulate left-winger.
So I don't think it's really wise to demonize or ostracize key White liberals in the media with the risk of driving him to the OTHER side and turning him conservative.

Because if you remember, that's what happened with Geraldo Rivera...lol.

Geraldo (who I didn't completely trust either) was a strong liberal and used to speak out heavily against racism but when he said he believed OJ was guilty and some leaders of the Black community called him out and challenged him on it....he didn't get over that.
He actually turned conservative and joined Fox News.....lol.

If I were sitting right next to Bill when he said that not only wouldn't I have demanded an apology I probably would have laughed a little at him calling himself that.

Now is Bill a closet racist who made a Freudian slip?
I don't know, like I said I've heard him say shady shit in the past.
But at this point I'm not going to speculate or throw him in the same heap as Richard Spencer or David Duke over one or two off-handed comments.

Which leads me to my next point..........

Political correctness has gone too far. because it masks what people really feel.

I'm noticing more and more Black people complaining about political correctness and I have to wonder do they understand the history and purpose of it.
They hear White men complaining about it....infact most White males HATE political correctness and complain about it every chance they get....and now it's caught on and has become popular to demonize political correctness.
But White men don't like it because it doesn't allow them to be as openly racist and sexist as they've been in the past.

I don't like the idea of people's speech being constantly monitored and controlled, but also believe a polite society or a relatively politically correct society is a much less violent society.

If everyone went around telling others how they REALLY felt about them or what they REALLY thought of them, a lot of business wouldn't get done and there'd be a lot of people fighting and/or staying away from eachother.

I don't think most people like their bosses, so imagine if they refrained from political correctness and just TOLD them that out-right.....lol.
Many would get fired, others would get shittier working conditions, ect.....so most have learned to hold a mask to their face.

What if a White person who worked at a resturant you ate at regularly all of a sudden looked at you with a smile and said he didn't like Black people and thought they were disgusting?
What you still continue to eat there?
Probably not.

Ofcourse you'd like to know who your enemies are, but you don't want them to have the freedom to just act their hatred out either.

Cynique

Maher readily admits that he benefits from white entitlement and that he is inadvertantly racist. That's about all impotent blacks can ask from whites who are their political allies against lying, right-wing Conservative, white supremist Republicans as well as the phony, spineless, ineffective, Democrat Liberals who Maher regularly excoriates.

This is part of my point.
I hadn't even read this before my post to Troy but I DO consider Bill somewhat of an "ally" in the fight against rabid right wing extremism.

We have to learn the art of diplomacy and politics and how to keep people on our side without being so critical of every little mistake they make that it runs them away from us and into the arms of our enemies.

Pioneer, Bill's comment did not bother me either.  I was surprised by reaction from some.  But Bill brings out Ice Cube a man who has made his living with word Nigger. The name of his group is NWA for christ sake (spare be the BS about there being a difference between Nigger and Nigga).  The notion that I have to be offended because a comedian uses Nigger in a bad joke is ludicrous.

But I live in a place where I hear the word used everyday and maybe I've become desensitized to it. Maybe we all need to become desentized to it.  Take away the power of the word and white folks have one less tool to use against us.

Cynique, I did not hear about the invitation to from the Senator to come work in his fields.  That was actually a much better joke.  Yes I would have ignored it, but I suspect Bill had his bosses all over him so he had to do some damage control.  Again the apology was sufficent, the faux outrage and staged dressing down was unnecessary and condescending in my opinion.

I'd bet most people, like Pioneer and myself (I bet you too), were not outraged or even needed an apology.  

But you put you finger on it. The expression of outrage was a great way to get attention and having Dyson and Cube put Maher in his "place" was probably great for ratings, and ample contrition to ensure the show would last another season...

It is all political correctness, from a man you once touted his political incorrectness.

Bill claims his job was never in jeopardy. He is executive producer of the show and probably owns part or all of it.  HBO has never been one to censor its shows. I'm sure they trusted him to use his own good judgment. 

No, Bill's use of this term didn't bother me, but Ice Cube made the statement that calling a  black person a nigger is like stabbing him/her in the heart with a dagger.  He also said Blacks owned the word "nigga" and nobody but them had a right to use it.  Dyson was kinda talking out of both sides of his motor. mouth. 

A white friend of mine couldn't phone me fast enough to get my reaction  and was very deflated when i told her it was no big thing to me.  This was the same reaction of a white FaceBook "friend".  They were both scandalized by Maher's use of the term and quick to chastise him, the first friend explaining in a quivering voice how she empathized with how hurtful this word can be and how Oprah said it was never all right to say it.  i started to say that was her white privilege kicking in, wanting to patronizingly tell me how i should react to a word she had no say-so about, and that Oprah does not speak for me. Instead i just said i'm a house nigga and if i didn't have a problem with it, neither should she, - a response i don't think she appreciated. 

i never cease to be amazed at how charged  the word nigger is. it really packs a punch, and  is energized by the person using it. Words are, indeed, weapons.   

"... wanting to patronizingly tell me how i should react to a word she had no say-so about, and that Oprah does not speak for me."

That is exactly the sentiment that I was trying to express Cynique.  It was completely patronizing and disingenuous.  Ice Cube can accept Bill's apology all day long. It makes no difference to me one way of the other... Cube does not speak for me any more than Oprah speaks for you.

Despite what Mr. Cube says, Black people don't "own" the word nigger.  Bill Maher demonstrated that quite clearly and ice Cube is still his boy.

Words have the power and the meaning we give them, and right now, whites hold this power because they can utter the word and people go apeshit. 

What single word can Black folks utter that will exert similar power and reaction in the white community? That is right, there isn't one...

• Like 1

Although I didn't flinch at Bill Maher using it.....

I kind of like the fact that Black people still have enough pride to actually GET ANGRY over words.

It's called pride and dignity.

When a people lose their pride and dignity, and start letting anyone call them anything without taking any offense to it what so ever, it won't be long before they start letting people DO anything to them without taking offense.

One of the saddest things is to see so many smart intelligent Black people suppress the "fight" in them out of fear of looking uncivilized or overly offended.

Remember, this is one of the things we criticized Obama for.
He let too much shit go on with the opposition all because of this neurotic fear of being labeled as an "angry Black man".

Right now the vast majority of racism is practiced covertly and in coded language, but if it gets to the point that White folks can start calling Black folks "nigger" and not expect to see a volatile reaction.....that'll give them the green light to practice more of it overtly.

If white people started openly calling black people "nigger", and black people thwarted them  by ignoring or laughing at them, the word would lose its power.  White people use it as a weapon that makes black people explode, then they sit back and smugly admire their work. A friend of mine  tells how a little white girl once called her a nigger and she laughed and stuck out her tongue at the little bitch who promptly broke down and started crying.

There are worse things to be called than nigger. e.g. motherfucker, cocksucker, son of a bitch, asshole or cunt,   Nigger is a slave term that is kept alive by the knee-jerk reaction it provokes.  Such is life.

• Like 1

Actually "nigger does not really bother me.  I've been called it by white folks a couple of times but never really felt threatened except for once and this was in Brooklyn NY.  

It really depends on the context. If there is a mob of white folks, with a nose saying, "lynch that nigger," I would be scared to death and trying to break Usain Bolt's record. Now some little white guy using it in a bad joke is relatively innocuous and we should not act like it is the same thing.

• Like 1

Cynique

If white people started openly calling black people "nigger", and black people thwarted them by ignoring or laughing at them, the word would lose its power. White people use it as a weapon that makes black people explode, then they sit back and smugly admire their work

What a SILLY conclusion to come to......lol.

Do you really believe that?

Life experience tells you that if a White person is bold enough to call you a nigger to your face, they're bold enough to do something else....often something VIOLENT.

A friend of mine tells how a little white girl once called her a nigger and she laughed and stuck out her tongue at the little bitch who promptly broke down and started crying.

I guess if a red faced White man with a rope in his hand walks up to you smelling like alcohol and calls you a "fucking nigger" to your face, I suppose you'll just poke your tongue out at him and POOF...he'll vanish into thin air, lol.

There are worse things to be called than nigger. e.g. motherfucker, cocksucker, son of a bitch, asshole or cunt, Nigger is a slave term that is kept alive by the knee-jerk reaction it provokes. Such is life.

With the exception of cocksucker and cunt, I've had White people both friendly and not so friendly call me all of those names.....and NONE of them affected me as nearly as negatively as when they called me a nigger.

There's no getting around it, the word DOES have power.

Troy

Actually "nigger does not really bother me. I've been called it by white folks a couple of times but never really felt threatened except for once and this was in Brooklyn NY.

If a White man called himself a nigger, that wouldn't bother me.....but if he called ME a nigger that would!

I remember the first time I was called a nigger it wasn't by a White person, but by an Arab.
We were both kids and although he was ghetto and street, the way he said it to me let me knew there was no love behind it.

The next time I was called it, I had just moved to some small town in the Pacific Northwest and got called a nigger almost every day by SOMEBODY driving pass me on the street until I moved after a few weeks....lol.

A friend of mine pulled a good but dangerous joke on me a couple weeks ago.
He saw me in a mall and followed me into a Kenneth Cole store and while I was holding a pair of pants he whispered at me in a disguised voice,
"You niggers didn't wear pants back in Africa".

Man, I threw the pants on the floor and everything felt like slow motion as I spun around and got ready for.....whatever.

Even after I turned around and recognized it was him he IMMEDIATELY realized the damage he did...lol.
The smile that was on HIS face disappeared to terror as he stepped back and put his hands up as if to say don't you recognize me...we're boys!!!
I felt sorry for HIM for a minute because he looked like he was facing a mad dog...lol

It took about 5 minutes for my pressure to go down and get out of "combat" mode.
We went to the café for some conversation and I was STILL in high vibration...lol.

@Pioneer1 So you think that a white person calling a black person a nigger is the gateway to them becoming violent toward black people. You don't say.    A black person can ignore this spoken epitaph, but they certainly aren't going to ignore physical aggression and a white person knows this. That's why they're afraid of black people.  

Cowardly calling a black person a nigger is a taunt used in lieu of a weapon because it has the same effect as one. You disarm a white-name-caller if you don't grant them this power.  There is nothing silly about this approach and if it had been adopted early-on, the word would've have picked up momentum and gained the ridiculous amount of power that it now has.

i must say your description of your reaction to this word makes you sound like a mindless bull who somebody waved a red cape at.  Just what goes on in your head when you react this irrational way??  Why does it affect you more than motherfucker or sonofabitch or cocksucker?  It's a conditioned response that you have succumbed to. 

Cynique it is interesting that the way you described Pioneer's reaction is reflective of the "honor" culture.  It as been studied and written about quote a bit.  They even did an experiment and compared the reactions of two white guys one from the honor culture was one was highly offended from a simple perceived slight, their heart rate increased, Blood pressure rose, everything Pioneer said he felt.  The other guy simply brushed it off.

The honor culture is part of southern culture it way the Hatfields and Mcoys fought each other for generations, it is why while folks duel and are so quick to join the military. Black folks have adopted this culture and carried with them to the north.  It is why you can't talk about their mommas, step on their sneakers, or use the word nigger with out they blowing a gasket, and even becoming murderous...

Pioneer where are you from originally?  By the way, you do know us niggers really did not wear pants back in Africa right?:D

• Like 1

Cynique

A black person can ignore this spoken epitaph, but they certainly aren't going to ignore physical aggression and a white person knows this.

But if they don't take heed to the violent LANGUAGE that usually preceeds the violent ACT (as you propose they do), they may not be prepared for that violence.

I've seen many fights in my life, and the vast majority of them were preceeded by angry violent talk and insults.

No Black person with good sense is going to just shrug off being called a nigger by a White person because they almost intuitively know there will be more to follow.

i must say your description of your reaction to this word makes you sound like a mindless bull who somebody waved a red cape at. Just what goes on in your head when you react this irrational way??

Lol....
What was going on in YOUR head when you were going nuts trading insults with another Black woman (Sara) online?

This wasn't even real life and you felt angry and frustrated enough to insist on retaliating each and every time she said something negative to you, but you're sitting up there scratching your head at MY reaction?

Come on now, don't act like you're THAT disciplined and composed.....lol.

Troy

Motown, born and raised.

But like most Black people in the North our relatives migrated from down South.
Perhaps most Blacks in New York and Boston have different experiences because of the generations of Carribean and African immigrants.

I'm sure there's still a strong presence of southern culture from the early Black migrants of Georgia and the Carolinas.

Black folks have adopted this culture and carried with them to the north. It is why you can't talk about their mommas, step on their sneakers, or use the word nigger with out they blowing a gasket, and even becoming murderous...

Man, are you serious.....lol.

Show me Black men ANYWHERE on this planet who don't get mad when you talk about their mammas or step on their shoes!

Go to the continent of Africa, bump into any Black man you feel has had the least contact with White culture.  If you can figure out his language, go ahead and talk about his mother and check out his reaction.
Just make sure you have an escape plan....lol

I know about the honor culture and it's routed in the collective consciousness of caucasians not only in the United States but in Europe, Russia, and the Middle East.
This culture is mostly tied to SEXUAL activity and control over women.
It's where the so-called "honor killing" comes from.

No, this isn't some "honor code".....
The volatile reaction most Black men (and Black women) have to being called a nigger by White men comes from collective racial memory of the violence and murder that often surrounded the word.

Like I said, if a White man is bold enough to walk up and call you a nigger to your face most likely he's in an "I don't give a fuck" mode in which he's so drunk or crazy that he doesn't care about the consequences of his actions.
Most Black folks instinctively know this and that's what causes that reaction, they are preparing themselves for what may come next!

By the way, you do know us niggers really did not wear pants back in Africa right?

I can dig it!
The "niggers" I see bouncing up and down the street are barely wearing their pants here in America!

Besides.....
Why would men with 7 or 8 wives wear pants anyway?
They'd just get in the way and slow things down.

@Pioneer1What happened between Sara and me was real life inasmuch as we were real people. You think our run-ins were fiction? Guess so.  (You always did have a hard time distinguishing fact from fiction.)  What was going through my mind back then  was  a lot of devilish laughter and  a challenge to come up with a better insult some of which from her were worse than being called nigger -  a word you can't get past because you are enslaved to it. Accusing you of fuckin your mother,  or being the son of a female dog just rolls of your back apparently. But let a smug white person push your buttons by calling you a nigger and your bowels explode.  As i said, if this dynamic could've been nipped in the bud, people like you wouldn't be seeing red at the sound of a meaningless taunt. But after years of fueling the word nigger with emotion, it is so inflammatory it can start a riot which no one will win in the final outcome.  

Now go some where and salute the flag of the country you are so beholden to, but to whom you are just a nigger who wants white folks not to devastate you by calling you one.  :lol:  

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I can dig it!
The "niggers" I see bouncing up and down the street are barely wearing their pants here in America!

Besides.....
Why would men with 7 or 8 wives wear pants anyway?
They'd just get in the way and slow things down.

LOL!

Michel'le: “Why you wear your pants like that?”
Eazy E: “I wear my pants like this, fo' easy access baby”

Cynique

What happened between you and Sara was an example of two women who never met eachother in real life and ONLY knew eachother from their limited exchanges on a website, allowing their egos and tempers to get so far out of control that both began going at eachother's throats in an online pissing contest.

THAT'S what happened.....lol.

And again,
Whether it was "real" or not.
Whether it was "justified" or not.
Regardless as to who started it or who was at fault.
.....the fact is YOU allowed another person's WORDS to rile you up to the point of blind rage.

Yet you want to sit up there smiling with your hands clasped on your knee asking me why in the world would I allow another person's words get me so worked up to the point of anger.

Again, don't sit there pretending to be so holy and angelic.

As far as other terms not having the same effect..............

In Black culture we don't just look at the words or terms but the INTENT behind the terms.
We focus on the feelings and emotions behind the words spoken.

Me and other Black men call eacother "muthafucka" all day long, we don't take it in it's literal meaning.
My own father called me a "muthafucka" one time.....lol.
I wasn't bad enough to call HIM one back though.....lol.

We know when we use it on eachother it's usually intended to be used as an "intensifier" to add strength and emotion to the conversation, not implying they you had sex with your own mother.

And it's the same with "nigga".
We understand the intent behind it when WE use it.

When a White person uses it we know the intent behind it too, and it's not a term of endearment but usually a term of hate and violence.

I never did like the term "son of a bitch" though.
It was more of a White person's thing to say.

Now go some where and salute the flag of the country you are so beholden to, but to whom you are just a nigger who wants white folks not to devastate you by calling you one.

You keep displaying your lack of patriotism and I'm gonna call the White folks at the Social Security office and have them "devastate" YOU.....lol.

@Pioneer1Yes, i allowed Sara's wordS that made up phrases that were different during each exchange to provoke  responses from me and i did the same to her. But no one word set us off. These were specific insults and the subject matter ran the gamut from A to Z, making up whole paragraphs sometimes. We were 2 females engaged in a vicious cat fight. In the very end, she called me a "nigger bitch" and Troy pulled the plug, in spite of the fact that i told him that word didn't bother and that, as far as i was concerned, she could stay. 

My gripe continues to be that a 6-letter 2-syllable utterance should not be so powerful as to hold an entire race of people in its grip, sentencing them to a lifetime of simmering rage just waiting to ignited by any capricious white person  who so chooses to use it. But this is the case and there is no sign that it will change.

I am retired and my pension is administered by the Post Office which has been privatized  

Now that you mention it Cynique, I did find service use of the word nigger (funny Google's voice recognition which is quite good refuses to type the word Nigger) in the context she used it insulting and I felt she crossed a line. 

That was the first time in 20 years that any poster had used language that I felt crossed the line that I can recall. I had to remove some of Kola boof's pictures, but they were almost pornographic and ultimately got the website banned from Google's ad Network anyway just like this conversation might because of the profuse use of the n-word.

Pioneer do you think Bill Maher should have lost his program over his use of the word? He is white and he used the n-word on television no less.

Cynique

Thanks for providing a good example of how a word (or two words) were strong enough to move someone into action they never thought they'd take.

Just like Troy felt Sara crossed a line and moved him to take action....instead of ignoring it as "just mere words"......both you and Troy SHOULD understand from this example how my friend's word could have move me to the point of action that almost got him seriously injured....lol.

The law recognizes such things as FIGHTING WORDS for a reason.

Troy

Pioneer do you think Bill Maher should have lost his program over his use of the word? He is white and he used the n-word on television no less.

No, for 2 reasons:

1. He called HIMSELF that....not anyone else and especially not a Black person.

2. Given his record of opposing right-wing bigotry and attacking racists (atleast in the media) as far as I'm concerned he gets a pass from me.
But I can't speak for other Black people.

The late George Carlin would have gotten one from me too....lol.

@Pioneer1 Your gratitude is misdirected. Troy's action was  a calm decision motivated by  propriety, not rage.  And I made it very clear that when Sara called me a nigger bitch this rolled off my back and didn't bother me.  So seek exoneration elsewhere. 

Maybe you are both right in a way.  No, Sara's words did not make me fly into a rage, if words did that to me I would given this forum up long ago.  I also knew at the time Cynique did not need defending.  Yes Sara crossed the line but it was also the culmination of her behavior that resulted in my action that an chastising her--which was pretty mild reaction. To put his into perspective Sara deleted her posts herself and left. She was not permanently banned. She could post right now if she wanted, but she won't for a bunch of reasons, the main one being is that she can't not tolerate anyone who disagrees with her. But enough about her...

Longstoryshort the real issue is content.  You give Bill Maher a pass because you like him.  You can couch it any way you like, but you have made it very plain that if your boy Bill uses the word in a manner that you subjectively approve it is not a fighting word. I agree with you in this case.  Obviously, others disagreed with us in this.

Words don't have meaning, only people do.

• Like 1

Cynique

Didn't Troy say this site is liable to be banned from Google if you keep saying the n-word?
Stop cussing and pay attention before you get the site shut down.....lol.

Your gratitude is misdirected. Troy's action was a calm decision motivated by propriety, not rage.

Regardless as to his state of mind when he made the decision, Sara's words STILL caused a reaction....they moved him into taking action.
So again, that would be a good example...one of many....of how words can force people into action.

Troy

Words don't have meaning, only people do.

Martin Luther King has passed away.
Did his words and speeches pass with him?

Those who authored the U.S. Constitution have died.
Has the document (words) they authored centuries ago died too?

You've dedicated your life to promoting the culture of Black literature.
Black poets and authors use WORDS as a means to express their talents, creativity, and deepest inner most thoughts.

But if...in the end...words are meaningless.
Are you really saying that you're promoting people of no real substance?