Tupac Shakur Movie,All Eyes On Me...

New Movie About Rapper Tupac Shakur . His Early Days,Then,Becoming A Influential Rapper,Activist..I Mentioned,A Book That Said The FBI, And CIA, Was After,Leftist,Black Entertainers And Politicians...Who,Murdered,Rapper Tupac Shakur?Gangsters?The CIA,?FBI ,? Neo Nazi ,Klan ,Is In High Places,..Have Not,Seen The Movie. After All .These Years, There Is A Debate,About Who Murdered Tupac Shakur,And Biggie Smalls,The Notorious BIG...

The movie got mixed reactions.  Jada Pinkett Smith said that the scenes which included her, were fictionalized and never happened.  Chicago Sun-Times' white movie critic, Richard Roeper, gave it a thumbs up. Some who saw it say it was pretty good, others say it sucked.  It's only doing so-so at the box office.

Haven't seen it yet, and I don't have a very strong desire TO see it.

I don't have the type of respect and reverence for Tupac that most Black people seem to have for him.
I think his entertainment career has caused far more harm than good for Black America.

He's a major reason so many Black youth today:
1. Are getting so many tatoos.
2. Take pride in calling themselves "thugs"
3. Refer to other Black men as "bitch ass niggas" so much

The image he pushed was very damaging.

It REALLY confuses me when people call him a revolutionary and try to portray him as some sort of Black messiah.
So what if his mother was a Black Panther who stood up for Black rights.....HE rapped about and glorified the killing of other Black men.

As far as I'm concerned he was a charismatic and talented brother who MIS-used and wasted most of his talent and charm.

• Like 1

Your position on Tupac is not popular Pioneer, but I see your point.  I would not necessarily agree that Tupac was the cause of the thing you enumerated he may have been a victim of it was so many others are.  Of course his celebrity help magnify the negative aspects of our culture.

This is despite songs like deer momma and a few others....  He was a talented brother.

But. this is what you get when you do not control our icons or rather when we allow profit driven corporations to decide the characters and the characteristics we uplift.

I have not watched it either.  I remember there was a time when I would watch ANY Black movie, I guess there are so many options now.

No he wasn't the CAUSE of the ills the Black community suffers from today, but he CONTRIBUTED to much of it.
Just like NWA, Ice T, Biggie, and the other gangter rappers of yesterday and today.

They took a negative element that already existed in our community....in every community....and GLORIFIED it and MAGNIFIED it, making it more popular among Black youth.

So now when 25 people get shot at a night club in Little Rock.....no one is really suprised nor is there much of an outrage, it's almost seen as normal because it's been rapped about so much.

Unlike the Kool Moe Dee's and Public Enemy's of the earlier Hiphop era, NWA and Tupac helped make being a "nigga" cool.

Running up and down the stage with your shirt off slinging your arms like a monkey, or getting on television and counting your money with slob hanging out your mouth was the thing to do.

No doubt Tupac was talented.
And that's why I believe he was USED, along with the other talented and influencial gangster rappers like Ice Cube and Dre to steer Black youth in a negative direction.

The same can be said of 50 Cent and Lil Wayne.
They are talented and influencial and being used as tools to criminalize and demoralize Black youth so that they become perpetual slaves in a prison industrial complex.

Troy

If he never existed do you think anything would be materially different in the Black community?

Ofcourse.
Everyone born on this planet makes SOME sort of a difference and has SOME impact on society no matter how microscopic.

Rather than speculating on what the Black community would be like if Tupac had never existed, I'd rather speculate on what the Black community would be like if he hadn't chosen the negative path for his career.

For one, I'm sure you wouldn't see nearly as many Black people with tatoos as you do today.

I'm sure you wouldn't have so many Black males calling themselves "thugs" and taking pride in it.

Some say when it's your time it's your time, but there's a possibility that if he hadn't went negative and gloomy he'd probably still be alive today and with his talent and charisma there's no telling what type of POSITIVE impact he would be having on this society.

And although no scientific study has been done, I often wonder how many Black men killed other Black men as a direct result of getting worked up off of listening to Tupac's music.

Ofcourse the same things could be said for NWA, Biggie, and the other forefathers of gangster rap and negative Hiphop.

But since we're talking about Pac specifically......
Of the thousands of Black men who have been killed by other Black men since the mid 90s, don't you think atleast ....say....a dozen or two.....maybe more....of those killing could have been attributed directly to Tupac's glorification of violence in his music?

I simply disagree.  You are saying that if there were no Tupac, all the negativity in the Black community we have associated to Gangster rap would not have existed. Tupac was a solid rap artist, but there are a great many solid rap artists. 

Now if you say that if gangster rap did not exist at all there would be less dysfunction for the generation of Black youth were reared on this stuff.  I'd be willing to say perhaps.  But then you'd also have to explain why white boys who buy most of the gangster rap were not, apparently, similarly effected and why many Black men are not.

• Like 1

Troy

I simply disagree. You are saying that if there were no Tupac, all the negativity in the Black community we have associated to Gangster rap would not have existed. Tupac was a solid rap artist, but there are a great many solid rap artists.

Come on man, you can you sit up there and accuse me of saying something I EXPLICITLY went out of my way to NOT say?

I said from the jump:
"
No he wasn't the CAUSE of the ills the Black community suffers from today, but he CONTRIBUTED to much of it. Just like NWA, Ice T, Biggie, and the other gangter rappers of yesterday and today. "

Now you got me putting ALL of the problems gangster rap has caused on Pac.

Again, he isn't the cause of "all" of it or even "most" of it.
But given his status and influence, he certainly is a major cause of much of it.
Who can deny his role in making "thugging" and "thugged out" and "thug life" aspirations among so many of our youth today?

Now if you say that if gangster rap did not exist at all there would be less dysfunction for the generation of Black youth were reared on this stuff. I'd be willing to say perhaps.

Well that's SOME of what I'm saying.
We were talking about Tupac and his role specifically, but generally speaking, yes, I believe this to be the case.

Now mind you, there was still a lot of negativity in the Black community BEFORE gangster rap.
WEB Dubois was talking about the criminality and lawlessness of Blacks in Philadelphia back in the turn of the century.
Infact, I'm reading a book right now about the plague of Black crime back in the 50s and 60s and how the Black communities around the nation were struggling with it even back then.

It's called "Locking Up Our Own"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/books/review-locking-up-our-own-james-forman-jr.html

I'm halfway through it.....very insightful.

The negative element has existed since we were first brought to the United States.
You had murderers, pimps, thieves, gangsters, numbers runners, ect.....for decades.

But what Gangsta Rap did was take the negative element and GLORIFY it and make it cool and mass marketed it among our youth in such a way to influence them to emulate the violence and criminality that was formerly common only to a certain segment of the population.

But then you'd also have to explain why white boys who buy most of the gangster rap were not, apparently, similarly effected and why many Black men are not.

Well for one, most White kids may have liked the music but they couldn't RELATE to it.
In other words, they loved the beat and the rhythm but it's hard

Secondly, most White kids in the suburbs don't experience the OTHER pressures and influences that accompany Black youth of the inner city that would make for a full recipe of chaos and dysfunction.
White kids may listen to gangster rap.....but still have a father at home.
White kids may listen to gangster rap.....but live in a safe middle class community.
White kids may listen to gangster rap.....but have access to mental health treatment.
White kids may listen to gangster rap.....but don't have a need to sell dope to make a living.
White kids may listen to gangster rap......but their water isn't full of lead and other toxins making them violent.

Finally, as goofy as it may seem.....most White kids despite listening ot gangstger rap and enjoying it still KNOW THAT THEY'RE WHITE AND NOT BLACK.
Meaning, they may enjoy hearing about the wild crazy criminal life of the Black ghetto, but at the end of the day they know it's a reality they don't share and have no desire to so they feel no need to emulate it or re-enact it.

Infact......
White kids of a more racist type like neo-nazis and skin-heads may listen to ganster rap and even PROMOTE it among themselves to confirms and re-affirm many of the negative stereotypes about Black people they already have.
They believe and teach that Blacks are less intelligent and more violent and criminal minded and listening to Black rappers basically not only admit this in their music but brag about it......confirms their grandious beliefs of racial superiority.

Okay using your terminology,  "major cause," I took that to mean the majority cause or most of the cause.

What do you mean when you say "major cause" do you mean just a little bit, hardly any, barely, or something else when you say "major?"

There are more white kids with the problems you associated to the black kids but where is the hand-wringing over the white kids being adversely impacted by gangsta rap?

Keep in mind there are plenty of white rappers even ones that might glorify violence or a wild lifestyle like 3Rd Base or Eminem...