Black People- 4th Of July!

When Black People Celebrate The 4th Of  July,What Are -They,Celebrating?  4th Of July Is Celebrated ,The U. S. ,Declared Itself A New Nation,No Longer Under Part Of -The,British Empire,Website Says. July 4,1776..Last -Month,Some,Black. .People Were Celebrating -Juneteenth.1865,Abolition Of Slavery ..Black  People -Celebrating The 4th Of July,Should Celebrate, Black Soldiers ,In The -Revolutionary War, The Civil War,World War 1,World -,.War2.The,Black. Soldiers Defending This Country -Now,Despite,Racism. The Civil Rights -Soldiers,Beaten,Murdered,Jailed,Men,Women,And Children..

I agree with you and comedian Chris Rock that the 4th of July is a white holiday that has no relevance to black people other than being a day off from work to barbeque and play cards while the ribs are on the grill. 

I wish I knew someone that was playing cards (or dominoes) and BBQing this 4th, I would so be there.

There was an interesting section in the Sunday NY Times, where they explain the Constitution.  The 2nd Amendment; 

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Right wingers often construe this to mean we have to right to buy as many guns as we want, to protect ourselves, but the reality was that this amendment was put in place to guarantee that the southern states could stockpile enough weapons to crush any potential slave rebellions.

America's independence is rich white folks business... I have not held a 9 to 5 for 10 years so if others get a day off from work I'm happy for them--too bad more of them don't make time for simple pleasures like playing cards ;-) 

• Like 1

Cynique

4th of July has a special significance to ALL Americans, not just White Americans....lol.

If the Whites under the British rule hadn't fought for their independence, there wouldn't have been a Civil War for OUR independence (or physical independence atleast).

Remember, the British treated everyone in it's colonies of all races as their subjects.

Infact, the British Empire would have probably gotten stronger and her African and Asian colonies would probably STILL be under her thumb.

Troy

The Constitution may have been formed BY White men FOR White men, but that doesn't stop Black people from using it if they so desire.

Beer and liquor was also made BY White folks FOR White folks, but it doesn't stop negroes from guzzling it down all day every day.

Black folks have a habit of picking and choosing what parts of America they include themselves in while conveniently neglecting other parts that require sacrifice or major decision making....they leave that to the "real Americans", lol.

Nothing is keeping Black folks collectively from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights like White folks, except laziness and disunity.

And it's the same with other rights that Black people as citizens of this nation have but too often choose not to exercise like voting, assembly, commerce, ect.....

We can't get mad at White folks or claim it's THEIR thing and not ours when we have the same opportunity COLLECTIVELY to do what they are doing and be even more successful.

Look at the Asians.
Half of them aren't even American citizens and behave more like American citizens than WE do.

@Pioneer1  <_<Yawnnnn. And if the white colonists hadn't practiced enslavement of human beings who their constitution designated as being 3/5ths  human and whose 400-year bondage they used biblical verses to justify, there wouldn't have been the need for a Civil war which, make no mistake about it, was fought over the issue of slavery.  

You can try all you want to ennoble this country  but its sanitized history is a crock, and it is and always has been the land of bigotry and bullshit.  i'll leave the celebration of July 4th to you.  To me, it's just a date.      

George Ben and company told the other George we are engaging in a hostile takeover. Instead of being caretakers we want to own it all. The Indians were framed at the Boston Tea party. So you wipe out your guest. And break every treaty ever signed. It was the independence of White Male land owners. That is what is celebrated. BLM didn't get the memo. When you are obsolete you have to be removed. Just ask the natives. That said I loved growing up in the Bronx and hanging in Manhattan from 1986 - 2006. Yet I know my experience wasn't the norm. 

@DelEvery black american can fondly recall growing up in their own little enclaves and neighborhoods during different eras associated with special memories in regard to music and styles of dress  and popular dances and what constituted coolness.  Black folks have always managed to cope and find ways to enjoy life within the confines of their communities and culture. We have done this not because of America's history but in spite of it.   

• Like 2

@Pioneer1 below is a book that you and every American really need to read.  We really need to understand the nature of how the country was founded and formed  It really was a very gruesome affair not just for Black folks and the indigenous populations, but for poor whites as well. 

It is helpful to be patriotic as it strengthens a nation, but if you are patriotic without understanding your country, then you are just a fool (not saying you are a fool,  just speaking in general).

A People History of the United States

• Like 1

Troy I've read that book before.
Or should I say....I've read "through" it.

I'm already hip to the atrocities this nation has committed at home to the Blacks, Native Americans and even other Whites.....as well as abroad to people in other nations.

Remember, I'm the one who spent months trying to convince you and CD that the water supplies of America's inner cities were being poisioned with lead and other toxins causing violence and other social problems.

But I know how to separate the good of America from the bad.
I even separate the good of the American government from it's bad side.
I still maintain that this nation has been better for Black people's social and economic progress during the past 200 years than almost any other nation in the world during the same time period.

Besides......
Shouldn't our roles be reversed?

This society has been better to YOU than it's been to me so far anyway.....lol.
You're  well educated, have a professional career, a family, and seem to be solidly in the upper middle class.
America's been good to YOU.

I'm still poor and don't own my own home....lol.
If ANYBODY on this site should be clowning on America and talking about her inequalities and injustices it should be ME.
And I actually do from time to time....but I still recognize that if I DO find huge success, this the land I'm most likely to find it in.

And before you clap back with the fact that you achieved everything you have not BECAUSE of America but DESPITE America's inequalities and injustices and through smarts and hard work......
Let me remind you that there are plenty of smart hard working people all over the world who don't have a fraction of what you or even I have because they don't have the resources nor opportunities to acquire them in their countries.

Hard work and smarts mean little in an environment where you aren't free or safe to express them.

With me, it's about hypocrisy, about America claiming to be something that it isn't.  Yes, if you can get by on being thrown a few crumbs to placate you, then America is better than most places.  But i do not feel obligated to love and respect it and swell with pride when i hear that irrelevant national anthem that was composed by a slave owner. 

Upper middle class LOL! You know I sell books to black people for a living don't you? I'm not exactly rolling in the dough over here.

I made a colossal financial sacrifice leaving the "big house"  to run this site full-time.

In fact as an entrepreneur I learned a great deal more about how this country works, how the poor are treated how not having a lot of money really substantially changes your prospects for success in this country I have now a lot more sympathy for people who never made a lot of money and have no realistic prospects for ever doing so.

The other problem is most of us derive our financial wealth due to the largess of white folks, we serve at their pleasure for very few of us have the ability to provide real jobs for other black folks.

The website's traffic this year will be higher than any year before it. But I will also pay writers less this year  at the rate I'm going, it will be less than  I have in the last 7 or 8. Google,  Amazon, and mainstream publishers are all paying less.  Even as an entrepreneur committed to serving black people  (or those interested in learning about our culture) my site's survival depends upon the very same corporate entities that I complain about so much.

If history is any indicator, the really sad part is that if I relied solely on black folks I doubt the site could survive. I'm working to buck the historical trend but it is exceedingly difficult when you have to compete against the likes of Facebook and Snapchat...

• Like 1

I learned a while back that in Western society the term "middle class" isn't just in reference to income or economic status but also includes educational attainment and profession.

Plumbers and electricians may be pulling in $75,000 a year but they aren't considered "middle class" but working class.
On the other hand, a school teacher with a Master's degree barely making $30,000 a year IS considered part of the middle class because of her degree and profession.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me at first, I thought it should be strictly tied with income or wealth.
But the older I get and observe things the more I understand that "class" is not just economic but social (socio-economic).

As I said before, I'm working class or what some may consider poor.
However I don't feel too bad about my income status because I didn't go to college.

But if I went to school and earned a Masters degree, or even a Bachelors....and didn't pull in atleast $75,000 within 10 years.....I would have been mad enough to kill somebody!

To me, that type of study and sacrifice should come with some sort of guarantee of wealth.

I couldn't see myself doing what some of these kids are doing getting all of this education just to work at Starbucks or Panera Bread for just above minimum wage.
I'd start a revolution or something.....lol.

As far as the wealth we get from our businesses and doing what we love.

I found out Troy that a lot of White people are actually getting most of their wealth from the federal government.

Many of them are using non-profit status for grants, others are getting money funneled to them from friends inside the government who fund their businesses and business projects, including those online.

For example,
They'll start a website claiming to promote "history" books and authors who specialize in history and the Department of Education somehow funnels money down the line to them and they end up being subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to to waste while you're struggling with ads, donations, and grants just to stay afloat.

This is yet another reason we should embrace our American citizenship.

When we recognize this is OUR nation and have just as much of a right to the billions and trillions of dollars this nation has as those who've been receiving and wasting it for decades, then we'll start sending Black politicians to Washington with the purpose of siphoning some of that money BACK down to us and our businesses.

Imagine AALBC federally contracted to be offered in every public highschool or community college in this nation and getting millions from it.

Yes there is cultural competent to class.  Lower class people generally behave differently that middle and upper class people.  But when you are struggling financially your behaviors and attitudes necessarily change and not always for the best.  

I know white folks are hooked up in ways that Black people are not.  Even when I was in corporate America I never filled out a job application, beyond my first job, I was always hooked up by someone that knew me and my work.  That someone was always white... Networks are important white folks naturally have large more powerful networks.

My problem was that I, unnecessarily, limited my network to the Black community. That was a mistake on many levels. but you live, learn and made adjustments.  

Maybe that is what being American really means, working to embrace the broader community, which maximizes your potential for success. 

• Like 1

I used to say the same thing about White people.

When I was a teenager me and my friends would go to the mall or from store to store filling out job applications and the thing I noticed was that nearly all the White men were working but I hadn't seen any of them filling out a job application.

I'd see Black people, Latinos, even White women filling out applications.
But when it came to White men....they were usually the ones TAKING them but not filling them out.

It's that "good ole boy" networkd of being recommended for positions by friends in high places.