Looking for a good book on the Reconstruction period in America

The article I emailed about Google hijacking business from booksellers got a lot of attention.  Much of the reader feedback mentioned Amazon as another problem. I atually think they are a bigger problem, but that is an article for another day.  At any rate one reader left me the following message:

Thanks for this email – very illuminating.  I will keep in mind when purchasing. Keep up the great work. 

I am looking for a good book on the Reconstruction – have any recommendations?

I share this message here, obviously, to get some recommendations.  It also stuck me that any Black bookseller, worth a darn, should have been able to come up with the names of a couple of good books on the subject of Reconstruction off the top their head.  One of the many challenges I have is that addressing issues the one I described with Google really does sap time and energy away from my effectiveness as a bookseller.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

I am looking for a good book on the Reconstruction – have any recommendations?

image-e1500223091756.jpg

One of the most enlightening books that I've read on the reconstruction period, the events leading up to and after is  "A Pictorial History of the Negro in America"  edited by Langston Hughes and Milton Meltzer  - Third Revision by C. Eric Lincoln and Milton Meltzer.  Crown Publishers, Inc., New York   

Now that I'm looking at this book again through "new millennium" eyes - I realize this picture book with its complement of editorial copy is the literary version of "Instagram"  today. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation Mel, unfortunately, this book is out of print.  If it is not too much trouble can you post a photo of the cover, I'll add it to the website for archival purposes.

Interesting analogy. 

16 hours ago, Troy said:

unfortunately, this book is out of print.

Yes, but the book is not out of circulation.  A quick check at a local library might turn up a copy.   Also, I think the book re-sellers have a few copies too - I saw the book jacket on librarything.com  Unfortunately, I lost my edition's book jacket some time ago.  The book cover is black with the title written on the spine.   

Funny when I looked for the book on Amazon yesterday I could not find it.  This morning I found it with no problem. Amazon is selling the book via 3rd parties, so they are using the ASIM nuimber that is unique to their database.  Mel does you book have an ISBN?  The ISBN is how I uniquely identify books in my database.

The book is not in Ingram's database and something I can buy, but as you suggest several version of the book are available a libraries.  My side does dynamically generates links to libraries, but the link is based upon ISBNs so my library link is broken, because the link's query is based upon ISBN.

9780517002902.jpg

@MAFOOMBAY, Thanks for the suggestion.  I virtually never modify someone else's post, but I wanted to add the book cover and it just made more sense to add it directly in your post.

Also I noticed that you posted the book link to Barnes & Noble I can't remember that last time someone posted a link to B&N--almost everyone posts links to Amazon--even if they have a website.  Was this a conscious effort not to use Amazon?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Did you work for them as a bookseller?  Or in an administration capacity?  It appear the very same things that Amazon did to put independent book seller both online and off out of business adversely affected B&N as well. 

Store Manager/training manager.  Yes, it affected B&N tremendously, same effect, but they've adapted; incorporating toys & games, restaurants, community outreach, etc. but unfortunately it's a struggle for them to stay afloat.  Big Box retailing is declining...

• Like 1

@MAFOOMBAY, store manager.  I'm sure you have some stories to tell.  They've closed several B&N in NYC.  I frequent one in Pasco county Florida.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed they stay open.  The first time I stepped foot in the store I asked for their list of scheduled book signings.  They told me they did not do book signings.  I was like whoa!  No book signings; what kinda book store is this?

I've been going there for over 6 years they seem to do doing fine,,,  But Wall Street was a lot less willing to tolerate a lack of profits from Amazon for a lot longer than they would from Amazon...I guess monopolies are a much better investment over the long term.

Eugene thanks for the recommendation.  I've quoted you on Griffin's Way page.

9780434890200.jpg