Life Altering Experience 2017 Total Eclipse

This is something i am definitely hoping to witness - again.   I saw a solar eclipse in 1970, through my special glasses, altho it was slightly different from this one according to reports.  I don't know whether it altered my life or not...  This one will occur a few days after my 84th birthday in August and if i'm still around it will undoubtedly be the  last great celestial phenomenon  i will ever see so i really hope I get to watch it. That is life altering in a way, i think.   

Another one of the best viewing places in the country  will be Carbondale, Illinois, where it will be perfectly visible for the longest amount of time.  i won't be venturing down state to see it, and the Chicago planetarium is sold out but i'll stand in my back yard  and look on as nature takes its course.   :)

• Like 1

By all accounts, everyone who views these events says you need to be in the path of totality.  @Cynique should try to get one of your kids or grand kids to drive you down to Carbondale next month it is basically a straight shot down I57.  In Carbondale, the totality will happen at 1:21 p.m. CDT. The partial phases of the eclipse start at 11:52 a.m., and end at 2:47 p.m.  For you it will actually be convenient, providing the weather holds out.

map_illinois.png

totality.png

• Like 1

@Troy Carbondale is where the campus of Southern, Illinois University is located and the town is expecting crowds from all over the midwest to converge there for this event. Hotels and motels are all booked, the university has rented out all of its dormitories.This will be no small event.  The highways might even be jammed.  i'll just have to watch it from my Chicagoland vantage which should be fairly good.   

Yeah I'm sure you are right that the highways are very likely to be jammed Cynique. 

I plan to drive to to either TN, GA, NC, or SC. depending on who has the best forecast.

Yeah Del the sky will change outside the path of the totality, but by all accounts that I've read it is a completely different experience.  The following account is one of the more subdued ones I've read:

"I doubt if the effect of witnessing a total eclipse ever quite passes away. The impression is singularly vivid and quieting for days, and can never be wholly lost. A startling nearness to the gigantic forces of nature and their inconceivable operation seems to have been established. Personalities and towns and cities, and hates and jealousies, and even mundane hopes, grow very small and very far away.Professor Langley says of this superb sight: ‘The spectacle is one of which, though the man of science may prosaically state the facts, perhaps only the poet could render the impression." --Professor Langley

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interestingly, I met a woman the other day who actually got on the bus in New York City to view the eclipse in the path of totality. The way I traveled to see it but her trip was much more arduous.

She was no more than a 15-minute drive from where I was in South Carolina. We saw essentially the same event. She went on about how spiritually moving the eclipse was for her. She expressed that feeling after I said did not understand why so many people were so excited about seeing it.

As I said before, the experience was nothing like that for me. This is profound evidence that different people experience the same event entirely differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Troy Your mind functions in the well-defined realm of scientific technology which interferes with your going with the random flow of the spiritual domain. It's kinda like you were subconsciously challenging rather than anticipating the eclipse to have a profound effect on you.  This made you less receptive to experiencing what was contrary to your vibe.  Has the eclipse turned things around?  All of the high winds and  flooding in certain areas and rampaging forest fires in other locations are  not anomalies  but rather events that naturally occur in the environment and atmosphere of Earth. If biological species are in the path of these forces, then the survival of these creatures is threatened. That's Life.  Which doesn't mean that these phenomena won't impact on the ebb and flow of human activity  

i have certainly been experiencing some weird things lately.  Time is not a factor in  my solitude, so i live around the clock, sleep when i'm sleepy, eat when i'm hungry and just do whatever i feel like doing at any given moment. (by choice, my outside social life is limited)   Away from the computer, my favorite spot is my recliner which is my phantom lover in whose arms  i am so comfortable and content that i just drift off into dreamland.  i have forsaken my bed for this seducer.  Lately, in the middle of the night, when i'm dozing off while watching science channel documentaries about aliens or the big bang, or true crime programs about spouses killing each other to collect insurance, the recliner begins to rock  ever so gently and gradually my body is overtaken by a tingling feeling that begins at my toes and crawls upward.   Sometimes this is proceeded by my foot being jerked.  Engulfed in waves of sensations, i simply lie there and keep my hands clasped and silently communicate to whatever this entity is, that i am not interested in going to the dark side or doing evil, but i wouldn't mind winning the lottery and being cured of all my annoying little ailments. Then, before i realize it, I am asleep and having crazy dreams.  These dreams involve different scenarios but  the underlying  theme is always the same.  I am trying to get someplace but I'm never able to find my way  or complete what i have to do to get where i want to go and i am constantly misplacing my purse during all of this...   Guess the implications of theses dream are pretty obvious, huh, Del?                                   

I read that the eclipse overshadowed another phenomenon which will be occurring on September 23rd when there will be an alignment of Jupiter, the Moon, Mercury, Mars and Venus with the star Regulus in the Leo sign. The 9 stars of Leo and the 3 aligning planets will make a crown of 12 stars for the Virgo sign  which will be “clothed with the sun,” with  the moon  under her feet. ????  Doomsday predictors are  saying this will herald the end of times as predicted in Revelations. Winter is coming...

Why do i have the feeling that the intense media coverage of these hurricanes is over the top and the networks will be disappointed if the storm would just blow over?  

• Like 2

Well Troy's not open enough to have experienced any results. Subconsciously he may be skeptical.

My dreams are ongoing; different, but always the same and i forgot to mention that in other recurring dreams i am able to levitate.     i guess  my interpretation of my dreams is  that I yearn to soar but i'm constrained by practical things.  

Actually Cynique Del is right, I'm actually pretty open. I took a TM class couple if years ago, though I don't practice it. I don't do much with astrology either. I believe I actually study more of these types of things than most people. 

I was not raised to believe in Astrology; it is the work of the devil. Even playing with a ouija board is consider opening the door to evil.

Who else do you know would  drive 600 miles to experience the eclipse? Just because I'm not moved the way most people are does not mean I'm not open, but I am skeptical. But that is my nature, and growing up in the hood it is a survival skill...

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the typos in my last message sometime I dictate my responses into my cell phone. That last post was pretty bad, I just edited it.

Del is "religion" the right word to describe your beliefs.  When I think of religion I think of faith.  Which can mean for example, that a man can say he is God and you must accept what he says as divine revelation as gospel.  Any proof or evidence to the contrary is ignored and shunned as heresy. 

By the same token science can not be a religion, it is concerned with what can be tested or proved.  The are many things that are real things which humans and their machines can't prove, test, sense, measure, or experience.  

We are being bombarded by neutrinos at the instant, yesterday we had not clue this was happening.  Today we have no clue what impact these neutrinos have on us.  The universe is full or things that or unknown and unknowable. Starting with why so many people are spiritually moved by a stupid solar eclipse :blink:

3 hours ago, Troy said:

The universe is full or things that or unknown and unknowable. Starting with why so many people are spiritually moved by a stupid solar eclipse 

:huh:  So  after you went to all of the trouble to travel to South Carolina to see the solar eclipse, you now refer to this celestial phenomenon as "stupid", huh?  That's like saying rain is "silly";   as if acts of nature have an obligation to live up to human expectations. You don't  sound like an open-minded person to me but rather someone who requires the instant gratification of tangible ,observable results as opposed to spiritual  essence.  Whatever.

Since the sun emits rays which are neutrinos why wouldn't they have an effect on the energy frequency that  represents an entity gazing at the moon passing across it?   i  was in awe of being able to witness something that was happening billions of miles away in a universe that I felt in sync with. I opened my spirit, not my intellect.  For whatever reason, i am experiencing subtle changes in my life.   :mellow:

Science is a belief system until the belief is disproved. Some conjectures in mathematics are unproven yet mathematicians have an opinion which aligns with these beliefs. 

I think I am more open to opinions that don't match my own.

This is what I wrote.

. I am not interested in exchanging occult or for the science as my religion. I don't approach science or the occult as sacrosanct. 

43 minutes ago, Delano said:

. I am not interested in exchanging occult or for the science as my religion. I don't approach science or the occult as sacrosanct. 

Read your first  sentence word-for-word out loud to yourself.  Did you write what you meant to say?   Troy apologized for the typos in a post which, itself,  contained 2 typos. i wouldn't bring this up if there  wasn't  an "edit" feature on this board.

What this says to me is that  you, and Troy, and Pioneer often write what you don't mean to write, and don't realize this.  This is something Mel never does.  Her writing is perfect. ( It may be a male thing.)  All 3 of you are very intelligent men but  if you can't discern your simple mistakes, does this carry over in other areas?  

i just ask these things because I'm curious and I'd be interested in  your responses,  which may very well put this ol nit-pickin'  bitch in her place.  :D  Slow day...

• Like 1

That's fine.

What i was trying to say. 

I don't approach the occult or science like a follower.  Since both are akin to religion. Both have their priest which are the gatekeepers of knowledge. 

As an aside i often write in the passive voice.

You have only offered constructive criticisms. I haven't been the recipient of any bitchiness. hee hee hee.

• Haha 1

Well Cynique regarding the typos.  I think expecting perfection is a bit much in informal conversation.  I strive to be clear not 100% type free.  You can have perfect syntax and be completely obtuse.  Of course I don't try to misspell words, but if I do I'm not going to sweat it here, if I misspell a word and it changes the meaning of what I intended to say I'm edit it if I don't catch it on the first pass.  I'm not aware of anyone making a comment based upon a misunderstanding of what I wrote because of a typo.

You know the old thing, werhe if yuo rwite a nesetence ithw eht leertts rscamlbed ti si llits leiglbe.  It must really be a slow day if it has come down to nailing us on grammar.  :o 

Now on the web site proper, even for my stupid bestseller seal, I do strive perfection (100% free of typos), I know I don't get it and it does indeed irk me.  But I'm a believer that something is better than nothing in most cases.

Most people roll with or maybe they don't care. I have also edited post in order to make them clearer. 

You and Mel are both Authors. She writes woth clarity and she can also change the voice and tone.

Oddly enough I can't recall a major misunderstanding or frustration with either of you.

• Haha 1

@Troy it's not so much about grammar; it' s about omissions or additions.  With a garbled sentence like the one you posted, one is so busy figuring it out that the meaning can be missed.    When i stumble over  typos,  or omitted or added words, what is written loses its impact because  my mind is busy correcting what i'm reading or figuring out what was meant to be said.                                                                                                                                                                            

Also, to me, these threads are posts that will be saved in the archives for others to browse through and read cold.  Many are  like articles in a magazine, the equivalent of essays or dissertations for people to read.  i don't think of them as being "informal".  

But i don't think this bothers anybody else. So, no "biggie".    -_-                            

• Like 1

Well you do make a good point about archives @Cynique. Indeed, I make it a point to ensure that everything that has even been posted, on these forums, remains online.  Most sites don't do that.  Not even social media (at least not historically).  As you said it would definitely be easier for someone reading these 100 minutes, or 100 years, from now if there were fewer typos.

I know I said it before, but I will be more careful. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...