Summer Madness

Guest Cynique

Guest Cynique

Well, as the dog days of August approach, on the threshold of  into the last month of the 2017 summer season, what hot topics have recently  piqued our interest and inspired our indifference. Let's see.

Power couple, Beyonce and JayZ,  welcomed their twins, naming them "Sir" and "Rumi". Jesus!  i'm beginning to think that nowadays celebs brand their newborns instead of naming them, looking upon them as merchandise and accessories,  assuming the world is just awaiting to hail who will  turn out to be spoiled brats reeking with entitlement, and deluded into thinking they are special. Word has it that Queen B is breastfeeding her babies, something which i find funny.  Wonder if listening to JayZ's latest album  in which  he apologizes for his unfaithfulness makes her mammary glands lactate.  This paragon of motherhood probably can't  wait to wean her little calves, - and get back to shakin' her big booty.  Not to be outdone, Kanye and Kim have announced that they are pregnant via a surrogote . No word as to whether they are expecting triplets or not.

The sports world looked on with interest as the parole hearing of OJ Simpson interrupted regular network programming. And "The Juice" once again lucked out after being found guilty of a felony and serving 9 years of a 30 year sentence dished out as  "payback" for being found not guilty  of murdering his wife.   Going into his charm mode,  copping a plea describing himself as a model prisoner and a misunderstood thief, the sympathetic Nevada parole board voted to release Simpson and in October he will be dumped back into society.  All bets are off as to whether  his next girlfriend will be a another blue-eyed blond .  Speaking of which, "over the hill" Tiger Woods has been released from Rehab after ODing on prescription painkillers, a pain undoubtedly exacerbated by his being listed as "black" on the report for his DIU arrest... Elsewhere clean-shaven NFL quarter back Michael Vick has advised national anthem protester Colin Kaepernick to get rid of his beard and wild Afro if he wants to be picked up by a pro team.  After being forgiven for his sin of participating in dog fighting, a humble, contrite  Vick seems clueless as to what it says about white people who love bushy haired pets more than bushy head blacks.   Kaepernick  dropped his pick long enough to brush Vick off, calling him a victim of the "Stockholm Syndrome" wherein the "Oppressed" switch over to the side of their "Oppressors"...  What with her sister, Serena, being knocked-up by her white fiance, Venus Williams,  hoped for a clear shot at another Wimbledon championship, something that would also serve to divert attention from the fatal auto accident she was involved in.  Venus, however,  was eliminated before reaching the finals, but a least authorities absolved her of blame  in the deadly collision, ruling she had the "right-of way". Meanwhile Serena took time out from craving dill pickles to sneer at tennis veteran John McEnroe's  assertion that she couldn't hold her own with a male tennis player and would be  literally out of her league when it came to competing with men.  No love match here. 

This past weekend black sistas all made a bee-line to the theaters to catch the chick flick "Girls Trip", starring Queen LaTifah, Jada Pinkett Smith, Regina Hall, and Tiffany Haddish, a well-reviewed movie which took second place in the week-end box office, pulling in a cool 30 millions bucks.  While  the long-awaited premier of  "Game of Thrones" 7th season, delivered the goods, mesmerizing us fans, HBO  came under fire.  There was a black back lash to its announcement that the next project of the writing and directing  team who produce Game of Thrones would be a saga entitled "Confederacy", a story based on the premise that the South won the civil war and slavery was still present.  I can think of some intriguing spins to put on such a plot line, wherein black folks would end up being the protagonists,  making white folks look stupid and evil.  But my decision to take a wait-and-see  is definitely one that's in the minority as black Twitter is up in arms.

Last by not least, after attending a Boy Scout Jamboree, and encouraging the crowd of young lads who supposedly epitomize good character, to "Boo" Obama, which many did to the disapproval of some parents,  Scout officials released a obligatory statement condemning the action of Trump, who also fired his press secretary  Sean Spicer, replacing him  with a "wise guy" straight out of "The Sopranos", named Scaramucci.  "45" then went back to tweeting, his latest bombshell calling  for transsexuals to be banned from the military, after Obama and the Pentagon agreed to let the thousands of them in military to remain there.   Watta fool Trump is.  These misfits, willing to lay down their lives for this bull shit country,  should be appreciated for the loyalty he craves.

What will next month bring?  Who knows? 

Classic @Cynique!  An excellent overview of the passing scene.  Fortunately I've been able to remain unaware of most of this stuff, and am much happier consuming this overview so that I'm not completely clueless when making small talk with others.

I was however very familiar with Game of Thrones; it is just brilliantly done and I enjoy watching it. 

So Jay named his "Sir" I heard Black folks gave their kids names like that so that white people had to respect them.  I did know Colin was still playing football; I'm with Vick he is not talented enough for his distractions. He should just become a full time activist :-)

Obama got booed by Boy Scouts--holy shit!  He must have been in the deep south, huh? A 45 presidency impact is being felt far and wide. 

17 hours ago, Guest Cynique said:

Jesus!  i'm beginning to think that nowadays celebs brand their newborns instead of naming them, looking upon them as merchandise and accessories,  assuming the world is just awaiting to hail who will  turn out to be spoiled brats reeking with entitlement, and deluded into thinking they are special.

@Cynique  you nailed it!  Beyonce actually submitted a trademark application through her trademark holding company,  BGK Trademark Holdings, llc..  Blue Ivy Carter ,  Rumi Carter and Sir Carter ;   BGK stands for (Beyonce Giselle Knowles)

• Haha 1

I think Scaramucchi is an interesting character....lol.

He has that eastcoast Italian "mafia boss" persona that many Americans respect and some even love.

Knowing that most mobsters have nicknames, even calling himself "the mooch" plays into this stereotypical image.

It's a shame that so many Italians who themselves weren't very welcomed in this nation for so long and in many circles aren't even considered WHITE....frequently throw their lots in with racist Republicans and Conservatives.

Most Italians have a working class unionized history in this nation, but their desire to be bonified "White people" and be well accepted by the W.A.S.P.s  forces too many of them to make fools of themselves and overcompensate by doing things like supporting the Republican party and being overtly racist towards Black people.

I can't find the words to describe what  a scum bag Trump is.  What's even worse is that he typifies half the American population. Scaramucci won't last long because he is so volatile and larger-than-life-that he will soon overshadow Trump. A no-no.  Trump has suffered another setback with the Republicans failing to replace Obama Care and to divert attention from that, he has now fired his Chief of Staff Reince  Priebus, and replaced him with General John Kelly who was the head of Homeland Security.  Wonder whatever happened to  HUD secretary Ben Carson?  He seems to have just disappeared, leaving the office idle. The white house is in total disarray and the laughing stock of the world.  

@Troy BTW, Kaepernick was a highly-regarded well-paid quarterback who has Super Bowl credentials.  Meanwhile Michael Vick's chances of being nominated for the NFL Hall of Fame are being contested by the people he is so quick to side with, who aren't so willing to forgive him for the terrible "no-no" of animal abuse.  NFL teams are spitefully bypassing Kaepernick for less talented players because  he's rockin' the boat.   The franchise owners all hate him because he's an abomination to their blue collar jock fandom and is putting things on the mind of the dense black brutes who they own.  He is a thorn in their side and i have no problem with what he has chosen to do.  He also puts his money where his mouth is.  

I also love "Game of Thrones".  It is so well-produced, well-written, and well-acted and the special effects  are awesome!  

• Like 1

A lot of people have been saying the same thing about Scaramucci.

They're saying he's so charismatic and his personality is so big that he's gonna out shine Trump....something quite threatening to a narcissist.

But with all of the NEGATIVE attention Trump is getting, I don't think he'll mind another guy getting a little shine and taking the heat off of him for a while.

I personally don't believe the Republicans EVEN WANT to replace Obama Care.
Most of them are owned by Big Pharma.

And Obamacare is basically a give away to the Health Insurance industry.

With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the government basically FORCED 22 million people to do business with Big Pharma and even guaranteed that the premiums they pay will be subsidized by the government when their customers can't afford to pay them!

How could big business and those who represent them REALLY be against that?

Imagine if the government made a law that forced everyone to buy cars and even promised to subsidize their car notes?

Do you think automakers would be against that?

The operative word with Kaepernak is "was."  But honestly I can't hate on the Brother. I think was was trying to make a point, though it was not clear to me what he wanted to happen as a result.  

Obama Care was a was a windfall for private insurers; things worked out exactly as planned.

@Troy The point is , is that NFL teams are bypassing Kaepernak to sign on second rate quarterbacks who  are not even as good as Kaepernak currently is.  He's an agitator.  He makes people in high places angry and uncomfortable and he hasn't gone away.  He still makes news and creates controversy. This is certainly a part of what he was trying to accomplish.  Obviously, i have no problem with this late-blooming brother.  I like seeing amerikka outed for what it is.  

Cynique, I know Kaepernak took a knew during the national Anthem.  During the period many other football player engaged in similar activities. As far as I know none of generated as much media attention. which is really all this is about-media.

I submit NFL teams take the best players given their budgets and needs, but if you are saying teams are choosing worse OBs over Kaepernak. Then you obviously have more information than I do.

)@TroyWell, i'm saying what sports pundits are saying about the players who have been chosen over Kaepernick. (notice i've finally gotten the spelling of name correct.)

Kaepernick's back story is what gives him some credibility.  He's a bi-racial child who was adopted by a white couple who are now very non-plussed by his demonstrations against racism.  He apparently had an epiphany, "aided and abetted" by his girlfriend who is a woman of color, and he became inspired to embrace his black side.  He may have gone overboard in doing this but i like how he is spreading his money around for black causes and how he has the courage of his convictions.  I actually think he has accomplished just as much as the black lives matter movement which hasn't been very effective.  

• Like 1

I hear you Cynique.  I see Colin in a different light now and will monitor his progress with less cynicism.

Is Black Live Matters a "movement?"  

I think my real problem with Colin and even Black Lives Matters is that these two entities are internet memes to me; social media creations that are only as effective as social media allows them to be. But this, of course is my bias that may be clouding my judgement.  

Still, I will never, ever champion anything done on a corporate site that is purported to uplift us--because that is impossible.

• Like 2

I don't want to say Kaepernick put himself in the hole for nothing, he obviously stood up on his principles and took a stand for what he believed in, however.........

What exactly was his point?

What did he hope to accomplish by refusing to stand and pledge allegiance?

Now hold on (Cynique) I'm not saying the man SHOULD have pledged allegiance.
It's his right and I respect it.....infact I don't even remember the last time I stood or said the pledge of allegiance.

But I'm the type of person who makes GOALS and has a VISION of the desired outcome of most things before I start them.

I don't just get in my car to ride around town wasting gas.   I have a DESTINATION I'm trying to get to and you better believe there is something I'm trying to do when I get there.  I may or may NOT always accomplish what I want to do, but you can best believe I certainly know WHAT I want to do!

What was Kaepernick's plan or purpose in refusing to stand.......

What he hoping other players would follow suit and take a knee with him?

Was he hoping those in the audience and across America would?

Was he hoping that police brutality would stop?

If he goal was JUST to bring attention to the problem of police brutality or American injustice....then WHO was he trying to get that attention from?

Hell, White people in America already KNOW about the injustices they commit, so was he trying to alert other AfroAmericans?

I've said since Kaepernick started his protest that his goals need to be clearly laid out, else much of what he did was done in vain or even worse done at a cost to his career.

How terrible it is for a man to put his life or career on the line for people and end up losing everything only for the people he actually fought for to turn around and unassumingly say:  "Ain't nobody asked him to do that"