Power Dynamics

Not certain if I had posted tis before or not. It seems especially relevant both here and in your world.

I have recently noticed a power dynamic. The dominant segment and the passive segment don't communicate as equals along the following lines. Wealth, Class, Race, Colour, and Sex, Northern location in the Northern Hemisphere. Southern Location in the Southern Hemisphere. This is the case in Northern, Central and South America, England, China, Australia New Zealand. Other parts of the world the dynamic. applies with fewer categories. But it applies subtlety. - Del S

trachen

Not sure if this is relevant  but I was born in the north - but now live in the south... I spend my time in my own head. I participate in my family gatherings but my family lived up north before returning to georgia. I don't venture out to public gatherings here - unless its to observe.   One thing I noticed however when looking up "Chinese Zodiac"  Year of the tiger etc I learned that I should avoid the southwest

• Like 1

I don't if this is relevant, either.  When i was 12 years old,  I was sent from my northern hometown located west  of Chicago to spend the summer with my Aunt in Nashville, Tennessee.  Once i got settled in there, with my 2 male cousins, 11 and 9, from Atlanta, Georgia, who were also spending the summer there, i immediately begin to notice  differences.  They did every thing slower.  The talked slower, moved slower, ate slower and seemed to find me funny perhaps because i was more animated than they and I talked fast.  

As the summer wore on, i  started to get used to the slower pace of life, and all the people both old and young kind of regarded me as an amusing novelty.  One thing i was pleased to appreciate was that the boys seem to find me more attractive than those back in my hometown.  My aunt noticed this , too, and seemed tickled by it.  Finely she broached the subject.  "Don't you know why these young fellas seem to like you?"  I was hoping that the reason was that i was maturing into a fine young chick.  But in the 1940s South, something else made a difference, where the caste system was still alive and well.  "Cause you a "high yella" gal," my aunt informed me.  I was at first taken aback but then i just accepted it for what it was and enjoyed myself.  When i returned home to my natural environment at the end of the summer, i had to make an adjustment.  Back to trying to get a word in edgewise among my chattering friends,  where  i was no more popular than any of my female peers of various skin shades.

I almost attended Fisk University in Nashville, whose campus was right across the street from where my aunt lived.  But i instead elected to go downstate to the University of  Illinois with a group of my high school girlfriends.  I often wondered had i gone south to obtain a higher education,  would my college experience have made a difference in how my life turned out...  

I spend a lot of time in Tampa Florida and New York City.  Venture outside the cities in both locations and the people do not strike me as very different.  Conservative, 45 supporters, the standard complement of good 'ole boys and a sprinkling of red necks.

Cynique that phrase "High Yella" just strikes me as a crazy term. The praise is both simultaneously a compliment and insult.  

The last time I was in Nashville I visited Fisk.  I may have seen your Aunt's home, though much of the housing around the school does not look like it goes back o the 40's from what I recall.

@Delano, I'm going to Tampa today. If your parents are interested I'll pay them a visit you email me the particulars if they are into it troy@aalbc.com (No pressure).

Sure people in major cities usually come from other places, which may be one reason they are so different than people from non cities.

I've met plenty of Floridians in my travels. Unless they are wealthy, most most are not your liberal, secular, vegan,  city dweller.  They are socially conservative (usually very religious, not excited about homosexuality), eat plenty of pork, and own a gun.  Sure these are generalizations but you get my point.

Again, people in Hernando county Florida have more in common with people in Mastic, Long Island or Staten Island than I do, and are much more likely to be 45 supporters