Beyoncé’s New 600+ Book. Did you know about it?

I read about this book in the Tampa Bay Times on Friday.  I had not previously heard about the book, How to Make Lemonade. I know, I know, I I'm out the loop because I don't consumer social media.  Still I was surprised I had not heard about this before reading about it in the newspaper.  You'd think Black book sellers would be the first to know about these books, but sadly I learn about they along with everyone else...

The book retails for $300.  That is, objectively, a lot of money.  I wish I knew how many were produced and how many will sell. The economics of this just bewilder me. Know I've seem some BAB in my day.  I remember how happy I was to get a copy of Africana but that was 2,100 pages but that book cost 60 bucks.

Yeah, I know this comes boxed set comes with a double LP (are there that many people with using record players?) and some digital content, but the production cost don't come anywhere near the price being shared.  I mean the mark up is not as bad as  a pair of Jordans or an NFL Jersey, but still.  In a world where folks balk at a $30 book a $300 book just seems wild

Now I know I'm not the demographic, I don't by her music, I dislike overpriced branded merchandize, and I simply can't afford the book.  So maybe that is why I was not send one.  But if they anticipate get $30 a pop I would not send any freebies to any book sellers either.

Well I shared information about the book on social and added it to Bey's page here for archival purposes but I'd be surprised it I sell any.

Has anyone heard about this book?  If so, how did you learn about it?

B0727QQX4Z.jpg

20 hours ago, Troy said:

Has anyone heard about this book?  If so, how did you learn about it?

A few weeks ago, one of my facebook friends received her copy and posted about it.  This was the first time I heard of it. 

And this seems to be the trend of books lately... Seth Godin, the marketing guru,  800 page book retails for $189 plus  shipping and handling and that is the cheapest I've found so far and his doesn't even have record albums.. There's another  "pop culture" coffee table I saw on depop that retails for $400 ... I've received beautiful coffee table books as gift.  I have a gorgeous Maya Angelou coffee table book  but I doubt if I'd purchase one.   I'm becoming mindful of clutter and consumerism.  

Beyonce's BeyHive" ain't no joke and apparently they have cash to spend too! 

Mel would you share the link to the Facebook post (assuming it is public).  I feel you on the clutter thing... but that is the life of a bookseller or avid reader... books just accumulate.

I would like to actually see the product thought.  May youngest is a fan, but she was not aware of the book until I shared this link with her, and she is tied into social media, so I guess this product is really just for her most dedicated fans, who they can probably reach directly.  

Since they have a direct line to their customers, I wonder why they made the product available to Amazon, who aren't even bothering to discount it.

20 minutes ago, Troy said:

but that is the life of a bookseller or avid reader... books just accumulate.

Didn't you just give away a ton of books?  LOL...  Actually we no longer have to rape the land for books - especially now that digital is an option. I've forced myself to go that route  - we need the trees to breathe.   I'll check on that facebook link

24 minutes ago, Troy said:

Since they have a direct line to their customers, I wonder why they made the product available to Amazon, who aren't even bothering to discount it.

Maybe She didn't and that's a reseller - notice what the verified purchase comment indicates.  My book is no longer available through Amazon - nor is the kindle version and now it retails for $85 ...

Even better you know i'd rather go to her website ;)

I only saw on "verified purchase" review and it was very negative.  The woman would have returned the product, but she was afraid she would not have been able to get a replacement as it is a limited addition product...  She imposed a take it or leave it condition on herself!  All indications are that Amazon sold the product directly. I doubt the other reviewers actually purchased the book..

When I first posted the book I was gonna link to Beyonce's site, but when I saw it on Amazon, linked to them instead for potential commissions I could earn. Bey's site did not offer commissions for referrals.

2 minutes ago, Troy said:

All indications are that Amazon sold the product directly. I doubt the other reviewers actually purchased the book..

Yes Amazon ships directly but the sellers have an account.  My friend is a seller and just ships his stuff to amazon.   You know about FBA right? 

Yes I FBA has been around for at least a decade.  Some vendors complain about the payment terms and that it decreases profits from each sale.  Amazon has become so dominant that increasingly vendors feel they have to give Amazon their cut just to be able the sell products online.

Amazon has already taken control of Black books.  I can't cite a stat  back by data, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Black books that are sold online are sold through Amazon Whether it is FBA, Marketplace, createspace, kindle, whatever...