LEFT BEHIND: Are Blacks behind AI Eight Ball ?

Predictive analytics, Blockchain, Big data AI and Machine learning 

Word on the street is  if you don't know what these terms mean, let alone have them in your bag of tricks (skill set) you're career path has ended and you're now obsolete.   Since 2008 and maybe before businesses are "relying heavily on data analytics".  These businesses are doing more with less employees and if our current and future generations want to be gainfully employed they will need to know how harness data crunching technology.     We keep hearing future jobs will be done by robots  - well that future is now... What do you say, my psychic brother, @Delano ? You're our resident statistics and numbers man.  How should this generation prepare?

• Thanks 1

What's interesting is that analysts focus on retrieving the data but aren't as strong in analysing that data. Although that is an outside perspective. 

Unless there are going to be universal payments we may see the rise of system disintegrators.

I think that critical and stratehic thinking has always been in fashion. 

I have spent about 36 of my 52 years exploring researching and applying esoteric and occult practices.

I think there's ages. the age of force. Manpower and horse power predominate. The age of tools to leverage your force. Then yiu have toils of rhe mind mathematics and computers. 

At every stage the individual can maximum their force whike also minimizing the importance of the individual. 

The next age i believe will be if imagination/creative thinking/intuituon. Since problem solving will require more sociological and emotional intelligence than technological know how. I could be just blowing my own horn. Ask me every year on December 1, until 2024. That is analysis and a time prediction.

I hope my answer leads to both provocation and invocation.

• Like 1

Now to answer the question. My sister said i need to prepare my children for the world you have aptly described Mel. My answer was I am teaching them ti think critically. Learning the curriculum is learning tactics. However without the ability to think, you will be a pawn. I know tactics without strategy is dead. My favorite scientist is Richard Feynmann. He was wasn't the smartest scientist in a room but he was the most clever. Plus he was fun anvery flexible mentally because he had a different toolset. 

I will address my concept of an approach for success. For the deviants, outliers, dreamers and oddballs. Since they are the true leaders. Learn the basics of what everyone else learns. In addition follow one passion and have a creative expression. Einstein played the violin, Feynmann played the bongos and went to strip clubs, and Newtown was into alchemical experiments.

We are approaching , we are in a time where the okd rules hold less sway. Which means the ascendancy of visionaries, non linear or freethinkers. 

I encourage my children to think for themselves and not to accept anyone's opinions with giving it thought. So when i see my kids, they want to play word games, test their spelling. 

In addition I encourage them to  respect the choices if other people, especially when it is counter to theirs. Because their mother is an artist. They are immersed in art, dance and sport. However I can't take credit for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Left behind?

Hell, instead of trying to keep up perhaps that best thing to do is actually go in ANOTHER damn direction...lol.

I know you asked Del specifically but I just wanted to drop this quickly.........

How should this generation prepare?

We should prepare by establishing OUR OWN economy and controling it instead of letting the dominant White economic system and it's ever mutating fetishes and fads (from industrial age....to communications age....now to "artificial intelligence" age) influence our financial destiny.

One of the reasons so many Black men and women are on the streets today or locked up in jail or dead is because instead of doing OUR OWN THING and taking control of the farms and factories we had in our possession for so much of the 19th and 20th centuries and being content making our livings through them......like the Amish and Menonites and other "backwards yet self sufficient" groups have managed to do-

.....too many of us are obssessed with trying to KEEP UP with White folks and what THEY call "progress".

Too many of our people say:
White folks are getting rich flipping houses....WE should start flipping houses.
White folks are getting rich off Ebay and internet businesses.....WE should get in on it.
White folks are getting into artificial intelligence.....WE should get in on it while the getting is good!!!

Just following them around like puppy hounds.

When will the time come where Mel, Del, Cynique, and Troy along with other Black professionals and thinkers sit down at a conference table and map out THEIR OWN economic plan designed specifically for BLACK AMERICA?

Tell White analysts and investors that if they want to play around with robots and rubics cubes, by all means knock yourselves out.....but as for US....we're going to focus on agricultural and industrial development.

We MUST CHART OUR OWN COURSE !

• Thanks 1

Pioneer in your own words. I ain't black enough.

I don't have patience for nonsense. So there's only a few people that can work with me. 

Even though Troy and I have major disagreements I would work with him because I respect his ability. He was a gymnast and body builders. I could work with she would be a combination of fun and serious. 

I could work with Cynique she is he only one of two people i have spoken with the I can't fault their logic.

In addition they have been able to be successful in the wider world. I don't know but i feel that they have kept the center and didn't feel like victims while being fully aware of the obstacles that their race ir sex created.

Pioneer you doubt my ability because it is western. Yet a Vedic palmist, aVedic astrologer,  an Italian Astrologer and thousands of clients and known several well known and knowledgeable Astrologers respect my ability and research. Perhaps you are indicative of other black that can't see another black person as an expert. 

I can neither partake nor condone Black Whinerys.

So i am coloborating with non Black occultist since Black people have either nit taken my scholarship seriously or they don't put in the time. Which means I can't take them seriously. Business is really like minded or focused people assisting each other in creating wealth. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

When will the time come where Mel, Del, Cynique, and Troy along with other Black professionals and thinkers sit down at a conference table and map out THEIR OWN economic plan designed specifically for BLACK AMERICA?

@Pioneer1 , I'm believer in the power of "AND" ... meaning do both and have two-winning hands.  But an economic plan is more than commercial enterprise .

Since, I tend to be a doer not a talker, first I have to ask, "Have you ever worked an economic development program?"  Have you even been on a steering committee?  Prior to launching a full blown economic development plan - you have to know where you're going and how you're going to get there - it begins with a feasibility study.      

I have worked for an NGO that was charged with  economic development for a city of 35,000 people.  The town had a failing economy.  It had cut off its source to  economic growth. The National Park Service through the government gave us a multi-million dollar contract to revive the area and help spur its economy.    

The thing is they had federal, state and city support and agreement. They had land, access to the Ohio river, a port and their area had been named by the federal government a heritage corridor and with that designation came a pile of money to use to achieve our goals.  My supervisor was a former deputy mayor of New York City - and with him at the helm and me his second in command  we accomplished our initial goal before I left the organization. The project took about 10 years from start to finish.  At last check, the town is still hemorrhaging population but it seems to be contributing to the national economy which is the overarching goal. 

Black America has always created commercial enterprises.  When were brought here  it was black people who created the textile  and agriculture industry.  We didn't just supply free labor - we created the enterprise...just didn't get the money, the freedom or fame.   

If you think of an industry from the 1400s until the present, if black people didn't  create it they were very much involved.

Even today, if you think black people aren't at the top of technology game think again.   They're not getting the publicity.  Meet my friend I call him daBrain,  owner of more than 40 patents related to wireless LAN and chip design. 

Also, in the late 70s,  rap was commercial enterprise created by Black people for Black people.  Before it was snatched up by major labels, Black people controlled the music recording studios,  music production, music distribution, film production, stage shows, models, actors/actresses, fashion  and clothing (dapper dan comes to mind) , the videos, (New York City created laws to contain where black production could film their rap videos).  There were even music shows that aired on local television  and even radio stations that had their own advertisements.   Social movement came out of  the rap movement and it even created political leaders.   The rap economy, however, was limited first to the East Coast - then West... then the South.  Once organized crime got a hold of the enterprise it was absorbed into corporate america.   

Black America can have their own economic plan but if there's going to be any type of economic development for a group of people that aren't centrally located  a plan would be a start but it will take money and time to execute.    Even with a plan, unfortunately, groups of people will still be left behind.   Which is why "being prepared" is key. 

Edited by Mel Hopkins
edit for correction and clarity
  • Thanks 2

Pioneer if Black people can't survive this system. How do you think we can create a new one when there's no concept of a collective. There's the bourgeoisie, skin colour, hair texture, coastal, sexaulity, attractiveness, country vs city, street vs school. Yet those differences matter little when it comes to discrimination.

Pioneer i have heard you discriminate against black people that are different than you. A house divided baby. And you running around with a chainsaw and a whip. To get them soft homeosexual men in line. Yeah man I am not keen on giving up one oppression for another.

Holla

Black 

5 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Predictive analytics, Blockchain, Big data AI and Machine learning 

Word on the street is  if you don't know what these terms mean, let alone have them in your bag of tricks (skill set) you're career path has ended and you're now obsolete.   Since 2008 and maybe before businesses are "relying heavily on data analytics".  These businesses are doing more with less employees and if our current and future generations want to be gainfully employed they will need to know how harness data crunching technology.     We keep hearing future jobs will be done by robots  - well that future is now... What do you say, my psychic brother, @Delano ? You're our resident statistics and numbers man.  How should this generation prepare?

Blacks are under the eight. It's like always some Blacks will do well. Denmark Vesey was free and his wife was a slave. Or am I mistaken.

• Thanks 1

Del

Pioneer in your own words. I ain't black enough.

????

I don't have the best memory in the world so perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't recall ever telling you that.

But since you say those are "my words" and my words on here are recorded.....I suppose it wouldn't be a problem for you to show me where I've said that.

Perhaps you are indicative of other black that can't see another black person as an expert.

I can neither partake nor condone Black Whinerys.

I didn't ask when will you sit down with PIONEER.....lol.

I asked when will you sit down with other Black professionals like Mel and Troy and plan out some sort of viable economic plan for Black America.

Are THEY "Black whinerys" too?

So i am coloborating with non Black occultist since Black people have either nit taken my scholarship seriously or they don't put in the time.

If your work isn't being take seriously by other Black people then that means you haven't demonstrated your abilities to their satisfaction.....so they don't have much confidence in you.

The question is: Is that THEIR fault or yours?

Mel

"Have you ever worked an economic development program?"

Yes

Have you even been on a steering committee?

No.

Black America can have their own economic plan but if there's going to be any type of economic development for a group of people that aren't centrally located a plan would be a start but it will take money and time to execute. Even with a plan, unfortunately, groups of people will still be left behind.

There's ALWAYS going to be people left behind no matter what plan we come up with because there's always going to be segments of the population who either don't have the abilty or the desire for any meaninful success.

But HOW MUCH of our people are left behind socio-economically depends upon which industry we decide to focus our efforts on building.
I don't have a lot of confidence that focusing on robots and artificial intelligence is going to raise enough interest in enough Black people for it to be a viable market to focus our efforts on.
I don't mind if SOME Black people who have a keen interest in it engage.
I just don't think it's an industry MOST or even a large minority of us should focus too much time or energy on because it's near useless to us as a people.
Our people need to focus on getting the yoke of White supremacy off their necks.
They need to be able to feed themselves, house themselves, grow their own food, purify the toxic waters in their environmnet, sustain themselves in general.......

Playing around with robots and transistors isn't something that will interest the vast majority and it's really something we shouldn't feel too bad about being "left behind" on because it doesn't satify an immediate need anyway.

Look.....
I'm not "anti technology" and advancment.
I'm all for it.

But let us not put the cart before the horse.

White people come up with all this crap because they've already established an independent civilization and accumulated wealth.
So they can afford to experiement with AI and computer sex and all this other sci-fi stuff.
We have more pressing and more immediate needs that the most educated among us should focus their energies and efforts on.

Del

You eluded to it when you mentioned black leaders should be more street. Or is that stretching the point to much.

?????

Now you got me saying "Black leaders should be more street" ????

Lol....man, where are you GETTING these quotes?

I don't recall saying ANY of this.

Again, can you please show me the posts?

What in the world is HAPPENING to you down there in the down under...lol.
You better come back home...lol.

You are missing the point. It isn't that they don't believe in what I do. It is that they aren't serious. There are a few Black Astrologers I would work with, and that few of they also agree that a lot of folks aren't serious about the craft.

Troy and Mel have their own thing going on. You may have forgotten that I asked a friend about some legal advice on behalf of Troy. Some of what you post sounds illogical to me. Like Mel Troy and myself fixing Black America. That's not a strategy or a plan, it is actually a wish. What your talking about requires a  plan, money, time location et cetera. And while in theory it is a good idea it is not practical. Although it is a nice compliment.

Perhaps I am being to harsh and personal in my criticism of your ideas.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

So they can afford to experiement with AI and computer sex and all this other sci-fi stuff.

@Pioneer1, you do know that's not what they're talking about right?  

For example, let's say you're a salesman.  There's an algorithm that can now do your job.  It actually knows how is going to buy what and when - so you're no longer needed to sell anything.  For example in 2008 - there were a 150,000 people working on wall street - today, 1/3 of those workers have been replaced by  software.  In the next decade, there will be maybe 50,000 tops.  Soon these companies will only need  someone who can analyze data...  

When I say we're  being left behind -I mean we are not prepared for  jobs of the future.  Today's jobs are leaving and being replaced software.   

Program trading starting coming in the the late 1980 when I worked on Wall Street.

Its also not economically viable to automate jobs out if existence.

So we may end up with a few data jockeys, hackers, waiters, nurses, barrista, drug dealers, thieves and prostitutes. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I could never be a part of a black think tank  whose goal was to  make black people a force in the corporate world because unlike Troy, Mel, Del, Nubian Fellow and you(?), I don't know "jack" about business except the supply and demand principle. And from watching the TV show "Shark Tank",  i've deduced that it takes money to make money and you have to have start-up money to start making money.  i also know that over half of small businesses in America fail.  And, oh yes, that there's a difference between being wealthy and having money.  

I can't fathom how black people , as a race, can catch up in a capitalistic society.  Maybe if Oprah and Michael Jordan and Dr.Dre combined their billions  they could get something going.  Is that likely?  

Good intentions and favorable results don't go hand in hand   Greed and egoism are  big hurdles when a group comes together to pursue a goal involving financial gain. And of course, i wouldn't bring a positive vibe to the table because i'm too much about the negativity of reality.:o

It is impossible for humans to analyze the unimaginably large volumes of data being produced.  You need programmers and engineers to design the hardware and software to make sense of it all.

One of the first things that struck me when I first started working on Wall Street was that they did not make a single tangible product, yet great fortunes were being generated (for a relatively few number of people).  Working for defense contractors like GE, United Technologies, and Grumman, you saw the output whether is was a satellite, a jet engine or an aircraft it made sense.  Wall Street initially did not make sense to me.  Indeed I could not even envision making money in a manner that they did, so looking for a job in the field never occurred to me.

Wall Street makes money through schemes that don't actually ad value to society.  Sure they say they do, but they really don't.  They have consipred with the government to extract as much wealth as possible from the public while virtually eliminating all risk: initiate a collapse of the global financial markets not problem, here is damn near a trillion dollars to start all over again.

This Obama hiring so many folks from Wall Street was disappointing to me, but it should not have been surprising given how much money they put into his campaign.  Of course 45 following suit comes as no surprise despite all his bluster to the contrary during his campaign.

Bernie Madoff got away so long with his ponzi scheme because he was not really doing anything very different from what Wall Street does no a daily basis...  

I don't believe in the Capitalist system, at least not the way it is practiced in the United States.  It is too easy to pervert and corrupt.  It is inherently exploitative and the application of rules are unfair and biased--particularly as it concerns poor people--especially the brown ones.  It is a rigged game. 

I think the most successful people in this system are the ones most willing to exploit others.  Whether it was enslaving Black people for a few hundred years, imprisoning them and having the work for Walmart, or paying slave wages.  If I run a store and don't; have inmates making my products;  pay people slave wages, in some 3rd world country; and don't benefit from government tax incentives how to do I compete with Walmart?  

We are all led to believe we just have to be creative, think smarter, or work harder.  But again the fix is in and there is really nothing you can do.  I try to get folks to work together behind the scenes, but while the results are better than working alone the results are constrained and will never benefit more than a few people.

Sure most businesses fail after a few years and many of them needed to fail because they were poorly conceived or executed.  But i suspect many business were put out of business because our capitalist system is broken.

Meanwhile the US has been hit by the strongest storm or record, only to followed by an even stronger storm this weekend!  Cynique, "winter is coming" is a perfect metaphor for our current predicament.

We have an impending disaster known as climate change that will effect all of us, but too many people believe it is myth, meanwhile we are all preoccupied fighting over shit that won't ultimately matter in the end.  Game of Thrones was great huh?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

And of course, i wouldn't bring a positive vibe to the table because i'm too much about the negativity of reality.

@Cynique, I agree with a most of what you've written except this part. Your voice is the one that was most effective on those steering committees.  From working on economic development projects in the past, it was the naysayers who brought the reality to table.   The cockeyed optimists weren't blind-sided when the obstacles made an appearance and we were ready to handle them.   

But it does take money, resources  and a lot of time to create and execute an economic plan...  I'm not sure why  Pioneer thinks we have the time or even the desire to work on a project of that magnitude.   And it would only be a system within the system - there's one man who's been trying to create a new economy since 1940s and the powers that be have taken his  altruistic idea and created a sharing economy - where one group gets all the money and everyone else gets scraps... So no, I'm good with working with the system we have. :P 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Troy said:

You need programmers and engineers to design the hardware and software to make sense of it all.

Except @Troy, it's happening now - did you forget the story about big data and 45*s election win?  

That's not  even where it begins or ends.

This is why I've asked are we being left behind again. - And you, the second most geekiest person I know when it comes to statistics - and you blow off my question with a sentence.  As if I'm speaking about some sci-fi future shock. 

Predictive analytics and modeling  are being used at corporations determining how long you should spend on hold - to whether you'll get that loan - to whether you will donate to a worthy cause and how much you'll spend.  Programs ARE making it "possible for humans to analyze the unimaginably large volumes of data being produced."

Like you wrote,  no human could pour through the all that data but computers can and are doing it Humans need not apply!  

So those "exponentially fast-growing companies that leverage technology and require less employees but those who are tech-savvy" are way ahead of us ...AGAIN

• Sad 1

Mel I did not realize I was blowing off your comments by making the statement about engineers and programmers, in fact I thought I was supporting it, not sure why you did not see it that way.

At any rate, I was really lamenting the fact that these jobs are rather meaningless in that they are not contributing anything of value.  

Yes I know full well Facebook are using our data in ways we can not begin to fathom, which is why I've largely opted out of the platform--which nowadays is tantamount to being the crackpot living off the grid in a cabin.

I also know all these new professions collecting our data is not being done to improve society but the more effectively get us to buy not things we don't really need or to manipulate us into behaviors that don't serve us, like electing 45.

The best and the brightest among us are not trying to improve the world, or deal with climate change, but are on Wall Street trying to create a computer program to extract more of our wealth.

Hopefully some good will come out off this "technology," but all that has happened is that wealth inequality have grown to a record highs and more of us are living on the margins.  Even the life expectancy of white men is down  Speaking of white men.  When I was in technology on wall street I watched entire departments of white men be replaced by guys in, or brought over from, India.  It was really crazy to watch it happen.  I also watched the number of contractor increase dramatically while really employees go down.  

From the cafeteria, mail room and janitorial staff, to administrators and computer programmers, many of these employees are contractors, without benefits offer to actual employee of the firms.  This was largely unheard of when I started in corporate America today it is par for the course.  No one works their way up from the mailroom, because they are not even employees of the firm.

Capitalism make these actions desirable; technology make it easier to accomplish.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Del

You eluded to it when you mentioned black leaders should be more street. Or is that stretching the point to much.

?????

Now you got me saying "Black leaders should be more street" ????

Lol....man, where are you GETTING these quotes?

I don't recall saying ANY of this.

Again, can you please show me the posts?

What in the world is HAPPENING to you down there in the down under...lol.
You better come back home...lol.

Home is where the heart is.

7 hours ago, Cynique said:

. And of course, i wouldn't bring a positive vibe to the table because i'm too much about the negativity of reality.:o

You said we are Alpha Males , despite my initial rejection i realized you were correct. And was the first to acknowledge this. Alpha prime hee hee hee

Del

Which one of my assumptions did I ignore?

My position wasn't that intellectuals DID NOTHING.
To the contrary, they did TOO MUCH...lol

....but of the wrong thing.

My position was that highly educated intellectuals tend to over analyze things (too much thinking) and most of their "solutions" are convoluted and impractical.

I never said ALL of them did or were, which is why I used the terms "tend to" and "most".

Huey Newton agreed with you which is why he didn't put Angela David in charge to intellectual. So another great thunder agrees with you. 

Ofcourse.
The mark of a good leader is to place people where their talents can be of best use to the movement.

Huey WAS a real leader and he came straight up from the streets so he had social experience necessary to influence and motivate the masses of Black people from the streets.
Unfortunately his drug use had influence over HIM. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2017 at 9:30 PM, Troy said:

Hopefully some good will come out off this "technology," but all that has happened is that wealth inequality have grown to a record highs and more of us are living on the margins.

@Troy , thank you for this response - I agree technology is creating a digital divide - and many are not afforded the opportunity to capture the equity they are owed.

• Sad 1

When was there parity anywhere or anytime on tbe planet. 

Judgements ranking and comparisons even happy in this discussion. 

I was just thinking thst perhaps society encourages these distinctions to both advance the society as a whole. And to exploit the "common" "man"

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Del said:

I was just thinking thst perhaps society encourages these distinctions to both advance the society as a whole. And to exploit the "common" "man"

@Del, now that's some food for thought! 

Exploit the common man would be fine, but can she get paid for her contribution?  Everyone works to advance the system -so can she some some severance pay  before everyone advances to the next level? 

• 3 weeks later...

"When will the time come where Mel, Del, Cynique, and Troy along with other Black professionals and thinkers sit down at a conference table and map out THEIR OWN economic plan designed specifically for BLACK AMERICA?

Tell White analysts and investors that if they want to play around with robots and rubics cubes, by all means knock yourselves out.....but as for US....we're going to focus on agricultural and industrial development."

laughter.gif

Xeon It is a high complement but I have neither the qualifications nor the temperament to lead.

Troy is already a leader and Mel a visionary.  And they have a market that they are reaching. I am focused elsewhere. 

Xeon It is a high complement but I have neither the qualifications nor the temperament to lead.

Troy is already a leader and Mel a visionary.  And they have a market that they are reaching. I am focused elsewhere.