Who Saw GIRL TRIP, the Most Successful All-Black Film Ever

girl-trip.jpg

The film, which open July 21, has already earned $113,360,470 at the box office.  It was directed by Malcolm D. Lee, the screenplay was written by Kenya Barris and Tracy Oliver, the film was produced by Will Packer, has 4 Black female leads and more Black people in that I even care to copy and paste. 

No other Black film with so many Black folk responsible for the production has ever earned more than $100MM,

Have you seen it yet?  What do you think? 

i haven't seen it yet.  Hopefully it will be available on Cable TV when it's run its course in the movie theaters.  i didn't go see it because i am too old to be included in  its demograph. Which means that i don't relate to a lot of the things young folks of today find "cool". But in the comfort of my cave I will have no problem checking it out. 

Apparently,  this movie genre has certainly found an audience among a segment of black women - and maybe even the white ones, too. Sistas are so hard-up for anything geared at them in a positive way that they turned out in droves to patronize it.  Everybody is a winner in this project.  You go, Girls!

Guest Brenda M. Tillman

I saw it and had mixed emotions. While I agree it had a lot of African Americans in it and gave rise to woman power. The subject matter was a little crude at times. I have been to Essence and it is a wonderful experience. The movie shared events of which I had no knowledge - it was a good laugh if you could get passed the cultural stereotype of sisters as sex crazed on a mission for a weekend fling. The movie did take a serious turn to expose those in fake relationships trying to make it work and play it off - at what cost ladies? For that message I give the movie a million kudos.   

It was funny and sparked many laughs. However, it was buffoonery none the less. I believe we have to be careful the images that we put out about ourselves. Since others will be quick to ride the money train and copy the production. 

Thank you for the opportunity to share. 

Author Brenda M. Tillman

bmichellepoet.wix.com/bmichellespeaks

Hi Brenda thanks for the comment.  One of my kids told me her friend, a young lady in her twenties, middle class, educated, professional, said the movie was "horrible."

I never expected the film to have any socially redeeming values.  That fact that the writers tried work something in is commendable, but somewhat formulaic (think: Tyler Perry).  I was just expecting a Black female version of The Hangover, which obviously is a formula that has been working for Hollywood.  

The_Hangover.jpg

I'm sure there will be a Girls Trip 2, 3, 4 until the franchise becomes a parody of itself and fails to make as much money.

Further to your point, about the images we put out; I agree.  White white folks can make films like The Hangover without a concern for adverse cultural impact, because there is far more diversity in the variety of films featuring their images.  For Black folks, this is not the case.  

We usually just get buffoonery or what I call the "victim/triumph" narrative; stories of us rising up from the ghetto, racist south, or some plantation.  Of course our stories are so much more than this, but i guess people don't want to pay see that side of us.

• Thanks 1