When patriotism degenerates into racism.

Question:
What's stopping Black people from being patriotic?

Answer:
It's the victim mentality that so many of our people have been ingrained with that's preventing them from seeing themselves as even EQUAL to White people.....let alone just as American as them.

I've said it over and over again, despite the problems and injustices Black people face in this nation....one of the biggest problems is that Black people aren't using the opportunities and rights and priveledges that we ALREADY HAVE to improve our condition and acquire more power.

When Black people are mayors, police officers, (even Presidents)....they often times BEND OVER BACKWARDS to be fair to White people and not use their power and authority to make life better specifically for other Black people.
Black people become Governors and Sheriffs and don't do mass releases of Black people from the jails and prisons.

You have plenty of Black police officers....why haven't they confronted their fellow racist partners?

Black politicians get in office and don't re-write the voting laws to allow Blacks who are denied for some felonious violation to vote again.

There are plenty of Black people in power in Florida....how many Black officials in that state LAUNCHED an investigation in voter fraud and suppression for the 2000 Presidential election?

Thousands of Black votes tossed away.....and Black officials did little to nothing about it despite HAVING THE POWER TO TAKE ACTION.

Look at Republicans.
AS SOON as they take office they go to work to repeal laws they don't like and push their own agendas.....shamelessly.
Negroes get in office and get so quiet you can hear a rat pissing in cotton.
Just so glad to be there, better not dare take any meaningful action.

What good is being an American and having the rights of Americans if you aren't going to exercise them?

The biggest problem Black America faces isn't White facism or racism but BLACK STUPIDITY.

"Black stupidity" aided and abetted by the white privilege that saturates this racist country.  But keep clinging to your red, white, and blue security blanket as you croon that Star Spangled lullaby and drift off into dreamland...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Haha 1

The system isn't broken. Is police shooting the new lynching?

Black people were suppose to die. Why do citizens need to fight for civil rights. Because Black Americans  are not seen as human. Animal cruelty elicits more concern than police execution sanctioned by the judicial branch and a percentage of citizenry. 

We have a south African schooling us about race. And he is heart broken. Wow.

I think Black Americans can't be seen as humans or even as equals. 

Racism in America doesn't appear to be a conversation black and white America can have rationally. 

White people need to talk to each other. 

• Like 1

After reading the information Mel showed in another thread, I'm seeing this Colin Kaepernick so-called "protest" in an entirely new light.

It seems as if he was heavily influenced by a White football player who gave him bad advice....probably on purpose.

Del

White people need to talk to each other

That's the problem, White people ARE talking to eachother.

And they're talking about YOU....lol.

You're right, the system isn't broken but it's working EXACTLY how it was designed to work.
The system is called White Supremacy and it's designed to keep Whites in charge.

Those were ministers who were taking a knee in a form of PRAYER.

Look how their heads were bowed and their eyes were closed.

This is different that what Colin and many of the other players are doing.

According to the information we now know....a White football player  (Nate Boyer) who was in the military and most likely conservative was the one to influence Colin!

He was the one who convinced Colin to take a knee before the flag the same way people do to show honor to it during funerals for fallen miliary personel !

First he starts off sitting for the anthem as a form a protesting, but then he ends up KNEELING before the flag with his hand over his heart.....go try and figure THAT one out, lol.

No Nate, did not mention Dr. King as his inspiration for advising Colin.  

I seriously doubt Nate knew very much about King's efforts.  

Pioneer is right, kneeling is the manner in which southern baptists pray.  This is the way I was taught.  

@Cynique, I wonder, are there any other activists (other than Colin) that you support?  

The picture of MLK kneeling was posted on FaceBook by his daughter, so she thought it was timely. Considering what his mission was, when King bent a knee, he was demonstrating against racial injustice among other things.  He is leading a protest march in the picture, where his lieutenant, Ralph Abernathy, is also shown.  You guys  look for any excuse to discredit Kaepernick.  

i support "Chance the Rapper", a Chicago guy who is doing a lot good for the community, donating a million dollars to the city depleted school funding, and calling out both Chicago's mayor and Illinois' governor for their foot dragging. People have even been touting him for mayor but he says he's not interest in running for office because he has enough sense and humility to declare that he's a musician, not a politician. "Common", another Chicago Rapper, is doing good things too, giving back to the community.   i don't know of any other individual who is publicly  protesting racism.  Which shows what the power of using a public venue at your disposal to call wide spread attention to black grievances.  i keep telling you this is one strategy in a movement.  i think BLM has good intentions but i'm not familiar with any of their leaders.

What black leaders do you support, Troy and Pioneer?

Image may contain: one or more people

Stew in your juices, fellas.  :D

• Like 1

Most of the activists I support you would know know Cynique; they are not trending on social media.  I'm not trying to be sarcastic.  I'm saying these Brother and Sisters are not going to garner media attentions because they are serious about helping Black folk.  They do substantive work and are not profitable to corporations that thrive in the dysfunctional ravings of 45.

Many of them are in the vein of these Brothers, they are one of the main reasons I started AALBC.com; to make their knowledge more widely known and accessible.  

I know you have heard of Haki Madhubuti, his publishing company, Third World Press, is based in Chicago and just this past weekend celebrated 50 years!  Haki has done some important things and was doing important things when Colins parents where children.  He has published many important books.

I could really go on and on Cynique...

The fact of the matter is the media is making much more of this kid's  (Colins) actions than is warranted.  He has not built anything and he serves at the largess of his owners and has already been dismissed. By contrast, Haki has built an institution.  But as we give all our attention to the Colins and ignore the Hakis of the world.  These important institutions including his will disappear.

This is not to say Colin is a waste. No quite the contrary, he has tons of potential, but he is not there today; only time will tell.

@TroyFor the umpteenth time,  there is room for all types of protest in the movement!  Why does Kaepernick's bringing attention to racism stick in your craw?  i don't have a problem with these unheard of leaders you prefer, those who choose a different way to "get things done", so why do you begrudge Kaepernick any success he evokes?   Nobody is even asking you to support him or agree with his methods because your disapproval doesn't make any difference. 

i am not alone in supporting what Kaepernick's  method of agitation has produced. Its ripple effect has inspired people to step up their own activism projects. But, continue to waste your energy, ruminating about his boat rockin.  

Again  @Cynique you are so fixated on Colin that you can't see my issue is not about him personally.  I explained this over and over again, most recently here.

I see the activists you like Cynique are all entertainers. That is no surprise, as that is driven by the way our media works. 

It is one of the reasons 45 is president and why Chance the Rapper is being called on to run the City of Chicago.  Sounds like Chance has his head on his shoulders and recognizes someone trained in policy, management, law, community organizing, would be better suited for political office rather than a rapper--even if the city's constituents don't understand this.

@TroyAnd you are so fixated on my being fixated on Colin that you can't process that it's not about the messenger,  it's about the message because  I AM DISGUSTED WITH WITH AMERICA AND THE FLAG AND ANTHEM THAT ARE A CROCK OF BS.  Whoever puts that message out gets my support.  Get it yet?? 

• Like 1

Because i didn't like Farrakhan's misogynistic religion or how he lived like a king at the expense of his sheeple. in public he never did anything but rant about jews and preach ad infinitum about the Koran. When he told Steve(?) Wallace off on the TV clip you posted, I agreed with him.   I prefer Kaepernick's dramatic form of protest.  

• Like 1

OK @Cynique

While I have no interest in joining the NOI, or adopting their chaste lifestyle, I'd take a Farakhan over a Kaepernick any day of the week.  

Many, perhaps most, of Farrakhan supporters are not in the Nation.  Indeed many in hip hop drew inspiration from him, including myself.  He spoke with the force of a contemporary Malcolm, a Malcolm I was too young to witness.  Farrakhan, like Malcolm before him, drew criticism from white folks and scared a lot of Black folks too.  Malcolm like Farrakhan had a platform they helped lead and did not need the support of the media.  Colin does not exist without the media.

Malcolm, like Farrakhan, was chosen by Black folks.  He was not propped up for us by corporations as our acceptable symbol of protest the way Colin had been. 

You mis-characterize Farrakhan by saying he never did anything but rant about Jews and do a disservice to the people of the Nation of Islam calling them "Sheeple."

But again, I understand why you'd say these things, because that is what the white corporation would have you believe.  Cynique you have to understand the power of the media. You don't give them enough credit because you feel you are not impacted, but indeed you are--we all are to a certain extent.  

Farrakhan only rails against the Jews who do us harm.  He speaks highly of Jews he admires. He is a minister so of course he is going to proselytize--that is his job, but no different that a TD Jakes  who whitefolks find more acceptable because his is a Christian and does not speak about America's evils... though Jakes is much better at separating Black folks from their money.

Yes, Farrakhan's excoriation of CBS's MIke Wallace on 60 minutes was priceless. I seriously doubt Colin is capable of such a thing. I prefer what What Farrakhan said to MIke, clearly exposing America's evil and duplicity for all to see.  Kneeling is open to interpretation, says nothing clear, does nothing concrete, and was easily shut down.

It took a lot more effort, and violence, to weaken the NOI, to destroy Malcolm and Dr. King.

Colin was just fired.

@TroyI am not an important person who wields a lot of influence and what i say or think reaches very few people and has very little effect.  So what difference does it make to you that i gravitate toward Colin Kaepernick instead of Louis Farrakhan who you aggrandize and continue to jam down my throat in spite of the fact that, unlike Kaepernick, this adversary of Malcolm X never sacrificed his job or his wealth to get his message across. A someone who i relate to very little. 

Being an arm chair supporter of Kaepernick is a personal choice i have made in the year 2017,  something which i really don't have to justify or apologize for.  So, you'll just have to somehow find a way to accept that i, and i alone, decide whose cause i support, and stop obsessing about my decision.  Of course you will say that i typify those who gravitate toward Kaepernick and that we are all wrong and misguided, and that  your aversion to the media and a guy you think is innocuous, qualifies you to be the person we should be listening to.  This in spite of how little you know about what Kaepernick is currently and quietly doing with his money, something the media doesn't report, but which I am told appears on a web site,  information i heard Ta-nehisi Coates dispense in an interview. 

History may very well be the judge of which one of these men  had the most impact on the civil rights climate in this entire country rather than a small cult within a black minority in white America.  

• Like 1

Cynique I understand that you, like myself, are simply individuals who wield little influence. 

Again my concern is not about you or I, but our culture. Whether it is Cardi B becoming the most significant rap artist of the day, Colin Kaepernick being the most visible activist today, or a great Black writers who remains obscure unless they are given the white co-sign.

I tried really hard to explain why my point is not about you or I individually, but about us collectively.  The only reason I speak about you specifically is because you bring up things that are specific to you, so I address those things and maybe that gives the impression that I'm making this about you--again that is not my intent.

You like to state that Black people are not a monolith.  Of course we are not, that goes without saying, we are all individuals and are all unique. I'd don't want anyone to adhere to my standard of behavior any more than I would want to adhere to theirs. So while I think the NOI is more significant that Colin.  I would not want the NOI to run the entire country.

However we as Black people must reclaim our agency.  We can not continue to allow corporations who are run largely by white men motivated by profit, to set our agenda--to even determine something as mundane which Black owned websites survive.

Individually, we have no power to change anything but together we do.  These are the efforts that I personally engage in and support.

I would not be surprised that Colin is engaged in more substantive activity.  As I previously discussed substantive activity by Black folks is not something the media like to cover.

Beyond kneeling, what activity did Coates say that Colin is engaged in?  I did read somewhere that Colin has pledged to donate $100,000 to 10 charities over the next 10 years. As you said we'll see Colin's impact over time.  I, for one, hopes it becomes significant.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Beyond kneeling, what activity did Coates say that Colin is engaged in?  I did read somewhere that Colin has pledged to donate $100,000 to 10 charities over the next 10 years.

@TroyThat would be a 1 MILLION DOLLARS over 10 months.. $100-THOUSAND PER MONTH 

http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge/ 

“I will donate one million dollars plus all the proceeds of my jersey sales from the 2016 season to organizations working in oppressed communities, 100k a month for 10 months.”  Colin Kaepernick

And in my 50 something years ... I've never heard white america squeal like a stuck pig over anything Farrakhan has said or done...Even during the million man march - remember the joke that NPS counted black men as 3/5  - and returned a count of 400-thousand in attendance..

Farrakhan doesn't enter into white america's sanctuary.  He's smart enough to stay in his playground.  He's not a threat to white America's psyche. 

Beyonce was enemy no 1 , though, when she performed "formation" during the 2016 super bowl.  THE SUPER BOWL 50.  Like a Trojan Horse, she  and her black panthers styled-warriors marched out on their field and she resurrected Malcolm X and gave corporate America the finger.   

White folks screamed bloody murder and cops threatened to not provide security for her concerts. Butthurt. 

Today, 45 and white America are butthurt because Kaepernick took a knee 7 months after Bey danced into formation .   For a protest to be effective you got to surprise them on their own battlefield... 

https://youtu.be/SDPITj1wlkg

• Like 1

i fail to see why some people hold TV in such low regard.  To me, it is a window to the world  - if you have premium cable.  All you have to do is be a discriminating viewer.  There all kinds of interesting educational and entertaining programs to watch on the History, Science, Discovery, National GEO, channels, plus travelogues, documentaries, a whole catalog of classic movies, comedy specials.  There are also the music channels where you can hear any type of music you like and of course PBS. Then there are the late night talk shows and their celebrity guests who you get to observe and  "hate on".  

For somebody like me, a great evening  is to relax on my recliner, nibble on some snacks and sip from  refreshing beverages and watch TV.  Television is my companion and my "remote" is my enabler.  When i get tired of that, going "on line" is my other option where i can interact on FaceBook and AALBC and play Bridge with live partners, and Solitaire by myself.   

My venturing out into the real world is limited to my daily walks up and down my neighborhood, something i equally enjoy. if i didn't have these diversions, i would have nothing else to do but read books and work crossword puzzles, because i'm not interested in doing anything else...  I've been a  reader all my life, but a book has to be awfully compelling to command my attention these days and would preferably  be biographical or  non fiction.

Senior citizen activities don't really appeal to me as an alternative to my "sedentary" llfestyle.   My peers and i don't seem to have a lot of common interests.  Wonder why? Oh well.  Whatever.  :mellow:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cynique said:

i fail to see why some people hold TV in such low regard.

@Cynique ,I think it's because they haven't been taught to interpret the symbols.  Television programming isn’t bad - but what I've learned when reading reviews is people watch on the surface and miss the meaning.  For example, "the blacklist” is about resources and networking - how even your worse enemy can be a great resource depending on your goals and needs...   

Through television programs it is easy to learn how to navigate corporate politics ... I used a phrase with my daughter, in fact both, her dad and I use the phrase” Did she "good wife" you" when she tells us about the corporate shenanigans ... "The Good Wife" phrase in this context, as you've probably gathered, is someone in the office threw her under the bus soon after they decided how they were going to handle a challenge (a contract in her case).

By the way, you may be an octogenarian but I wonder if you, like I, have had always had a hard time finding those who share your interests?   I find very few people are interested in observing humans, their skills, talents and behaviors... Sometimes, I feel like a homosapientologist ...and I don't think there are many of us. 
:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually there is SO much more quality programming on TV today it would be hard to dispense with the tool.  

You can watch lectures from all over the planet given by brilliant people.  Believe it or not I had no concept of the quantum world until I discovered it on YouTube about 10 years ago.  I was simply never exposed to it. I learned about this fascinating world watching streaming videos.

@Delano, you recently mentioned Richard Feynman. I discovered him several years ago watching youtube videos on my TV.  How did you discover him?  Have you never watched his YouTube videos?  If you have, you are basically using whatever device you watched that video on as a TV.  You should rethink what a TV is.

Like anything a TV is what you make of it, but as technology advances and corporations become more powerful, the ability of our "TV" to manipulate us will become greater (more harmful) and our ability to thwart this effort will become more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read books. And i used to read the New York Press free weekly. Which is how i found a few writers. Like David Foster Wallace and Amanda Filipaci. Which lead to anthology. So if i like the writer I read their entire canon : David Foster Wallace, Jonathan Franzen, Kurt Vonnegut, Ishmael Reed , Roger Zelaney.

Then there are subjects that pique my interest : Mathematicians, Jungian psychology, astrology, tarot numerology, social dynamics. , erotica. , sci fi and Mythology. 

And Biographies/Autobiographies  Miles Davis , Prince, Isaac Newton. , Albert Einstein. 

There's one writer i found from TV. Jamake Highwater. He was an American Indian writer that wrote about American Indian mysticism in the 90s.

I found out that he was a fraud. He was a Jewish and he got lots if grants ti lecture about indian affairs. 

16 hours ago, Cynique said:

i fail to see why some people hold TV in such low regard.  To me, it is a window to the world  - if you have premium cable.  All you have to do is be a discriminating viewer.  There all kinds of interesting educational and entertaining programs to watch on the History, Science, Discovery, National GEO, channels, plus travelogues, documentaries, a whole catalog of classic movies, comedy specials.  There are also the music channels where you can hear any type of music you like and of course PBS. Then there are the late night talk shows and their celebrity guests who you get to observe and  "hate on".  

For somebody like me, a great evening  is to relax on my recliner, nibble on some snacks and sip from  refreshing beverages and watch TV.  Television is my companion and my "remote" is my enabler.  When i get tired of that, going "on line" is my other option where i can interact on FaceBook and AALBC and play Bridge with live partners, and Solitaire by myself.   

When i was younger I went clubbing. Went to  musical gigs. , performance art, art and read one to two books a month and did some travelling. I thought life was.more interesting than TV. 

Now its more dinner guest once or twice a month. Facebook and Aalbc.

There have been shows i have checked out. Mostly HBO and Show time. However after a few episodes it seems too predictable. 

16 hours ago, Cynique said:

TV and the internet have a low signal to noise ratio. Which requires sorting wheat and chaff. Hanging out got me a cheap apartment in Manhattan, an invite to a Movie premiere and places to stay overseas, interesting stories and people. Although I  did win a thousand on TV in the 80's.

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2017 at 1:44 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Beyonce was enemy no 1 , though, when she performed "formation" during the 2016 super bowl.  THE SUPER BOWL 50.  Like a Trojan Horse, she  and her black panthers styled-warriors marched out on their field and she resurrected Malcolm X and gave corporate America the finger.   

White folks screamed bloody murder and cops threatened to not provide security for her concerts. Butthurt. 

Today, 45 and white America are butthurt because Kaepernick took a knee 7 months after Bey danced into formation .   For a protest to be effective you got to surprise them on their own battlefield... 

https://youtu.be/SDPITj1wlkg

beyoncekap.jpg

I love it when a good plan comes together... Y'all keep being dazzled by the media but still missing the plot .... Beyoncé surprised free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated‘s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

• Thanks 1

OK I'll bite :D  

@Delano you've been highly critical of "proof," "right versus wrong," and the precise use of language. What was Colin proven to be right about?

You realize in the time it took you to write the question, you could have determined whether or not Colin was signed to a football contract.

And @Delano you selectively answer questions making it very hard to have a meaningful discussion, for I can't easily tell what you know or believe.

Of course, as a open discussion forum there are no stringent standards or expectations for stringent standards. We are just people. There will be typos, there will be mistakes, there will be false claims, and maybe even some deceit. But this is not a peer review academic journal, but discussion forumd are better than the echo chambers found on social media, because your views will be challenged. 

Tell us what you believe Colin proved?

@TroyI'll take credit for being right that Kaepernick's knee-bending accomplished what dramatic protests are designed to do: make waves and create repercussions.  NFL owners, Donald Trump and other black athletes, were either agitated or inspired by Kaepernick, and a majority of white Americans showed their true colors when they disapproved of this demonstration because it forced  them to stomach the idea that the American flag flies over a racist country, and is a meaningless piece of cloth when it comes to equal just for all under the law. Most NFL owners have been forced to find ways to placate their players,  - nudged into putting their money where their mouths are to the tune of donating 85 million dollars to black causes,  while Trump and the defiant NFL owners has been further exposed as the racist numb skulls that they are.  The media has given honorable recognition to Kaepernick's for sacrificing his career to call attention to police misconduct in the black community.  This a moral victory, which is pretty much all that black people can hope for in this shitty country. 

What would have to happen for you to consider your call to boycott Amazon a movement that produced results? Or is it simply a gesture?

• Thanks 2

Del

He did a lot of good. He has been proven right.

Has anyone signed him?

Good point.
And it's a point I've been making for over a year now.

In my opinion.....
The damage that he's done to himself and what the other players have done OUT WEIGHS the whatever good may have come out of this.

I think the entire move was not ony poorly thought out but pretty much ineffective.

Troy

This MAY be another "Wednesday Thurdsay Friday" moment......lol.

I think Del's question of whether or not someone signed him MAY have been rhetorical.

Meaning......

Yes he may have did good and stood up to power....but what good did it do him?
He's now out of a job.

But if Del's question was meant exactly as stated......then both of you will have to forgive me.

• Like 1

@Cynique who know it is interesting that I rarely have to ask you probing questions because of how clearly you express yourself. 

@Del on the other hand is more enigmatic, perhaps deliberately so, which is why I have to ask him more question.  He and @Pioneer1 seem to be on the same wavelength lately, as it simply did not occur to me that Del's question was rhetorical, which would make sense since the question he asked about a new Colin contract could have been found with a 2 second web search.

Taking the question as a rhetorical one. I will say that he proven the NFL's billionaire owners are powerful and do not give a crap about players (Black or otherwise) and are only concerned with profits. This is not exactly a revelation. If you watch any football lately you will notice all the flag-waving, hyper-patriotic segments featuring Black players during the break... It is disgusting really.

As far as my proposed boycott of Amazon.  I would consider it a success if a critical mass of us simply availed ourselves of our own products and services by eliminating dependence on Amazon.   This admittedly is a long shot, but sheesh our livelihoods indeed our culture depends upon it. 

One can't know if Colin will be hurting or not.  But he did make a personal sacrifice.  As @Pioneer1 said, I doubt Colin thought this alll the way through.  He obviously wanted or needed his job, otherwise he would have sued the NFL.  A million dollar book deal is big, but is little compared to his multi-million dollar annual football salary and endorsements.

Colin had a job as Quarterback for the 49ers.  He had to have known that his knee-bending protest would jeopardize his being re-signed, but he made a choice.  I don't think money is that much of an issue with him the way he has been throwing it around, donating it to black causes.  He may even be ready to move on from football.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

He obviously wanted or needed his job, otherwise he would have sued the NFL

If he wanted or needed a job, wouldn't he have sued the NFL? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/7/2017 at 1:44 PM, Cynique said:

The media has given honorable recognition to Kaepernick for sacrificing his career to call attention to police misconduct in the black community.  This a moral victory, which is pretty much all that black people can hope for in this shitty country. 

Amen @Cynique !!!

And twitter, the pulse of the country, mainstream media, as well as every day citizens have articulated the #TakeaKnee movement is about police brutality and state-sanctioned murders.   They are now drowning out the rhetoric the protest was to dishonor the military.   AND Walter Scott's murderer  (south carolina police officer) got 20 years in prison and the Chicago police officer who shot 16 rounds into a car filled with teens, wounding two got 5 years in prison... Prior to these guilty verdicts , it seemed only black law enforcement officers were being convicted of killing citizens. Plus neither of these men will ever serve on the police force ever again.   This Take a Knee protest has caused a shift in consciousness

And @Troy. while Kaepernick probably wants to play (it is his vocation by the way) but filing a grievance against the owners is a strategic move to expose their backdoor dealings...While the complaint is collusion there's no way to know what else will come as a result.   As I've said before I read the captions of LAW 360 media and entertainment lawsuits being filed daily - and these celebrities don't even play at our level... It's an understatement to say they are out of our league when it comes to strategy and tactics.   

If nothing else, the imbroglio managed to put a dent into football ratings that are down compared to last year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the real world, things tend to be complex.....complicated.
The answers don't seem to be as cut and dry or obvious or appealing.

The fact is......

The owners have the right to hire and fire whoever the hell they want.

Actually, in many ways they even have the MORAL right to do what they're doing.

Let's say I owned a business in the city of Detroit.
Which is a mostly Black highly urban area......

And I hired a White man to do a job.
And part of that job is to be friendly with and get along with the customers and promote the values of the community.

Now he KNOWS what I want and he AGREES to do this...which is why I hired him in the first place.

Well hell, if the fool comes in one week with a confederate flag t-shirt on playing country music and turning on the television in the store to FOX NEWS.

Should I respect his right to "express" himself and piss off my customers?

Or should I HURRY UP and get rid of his ass?

And if I gave him an ultimatum or just fired his ass out right.....I don't need some people jumping up and down in my store telling me about how he has to right to express himself or promote his conservative values.

This is MY store....not his.

And it's not public....it's private....it's MY BUSINESS.

If people don't like how i run MY BUSINESS they need to start THEIR OWN business!

Sometimes you have to look at things from OTHER PEOPLE'S point of view.

Hell yeah the owners have black listed Colin and are refusing to hire him.
Is it right?
I don't know.
But they certainly HAVE THE RIGHT both legally and in my opinion ETHICALLY to do so because THEY OWN IT.

The point of OWNING something is CONTROL over who works there.....duhhh......

Black people focus too much on trying to force OTHER PEOPLE to do the right things in THEIR institutions instead of creating institutions of OUR OWN.

If Black people owned their own teams and leagues, this wouldn't be as big of an issue if at all.

Thanks for the correction Cynique.

@Pioneer1 as @Mel Hopkins mentioned this issue is collusion.  By law (antitrust) the league;s owners can not get together decide to take an action,like blacklisting Kaepernick.  But these guys don't have to talk to each other to know the deal. Colin was poison for the NFL's brand.  I'd bet money they colluded regardless of the outcome of the grievance.  

Pioneer, these types of laws are in place for a good reason.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

By law (antitrust) the league;s owners can not get together decide to take an action,like blacklisting Kaepernick

Yes @Troy....that's what I'm referring to and because this law exist - and he as a nfl player (free agent) can grieve possible collusion.  Maybe these owners didn't speak with each other - but that's why their phone records and other items were subpoena - if there's hint of working together to keep him out - they lose and will have to remedy the grievance.

It could be money i.e., the salary he would have received if they didn't work to keep him out.  It's doesn't necessarily mean he will play again.  Normally this grievance would have been handled by the players association but since he's unsigned he gets to represent himself against the owners. This doesn't bode well for the owners because now the proceedings become part of public record.   If it were labor union to management some of the information could have been kept private.  The owners were foolish for not putting him on the reserve list  and suspending him for a bogus reason. 

@Pioneer1   yes the owners can hire and fire whom they want but as long as they are a league with rules and regulations they can not violate them... In America, you can fire whom you want but if your reasons even hints at ageism, race, or sex or any of the protected class items ...you as an employer are going to lose in court period.  It's not what you'd like to happen . This is not based on anyone's opinion,  it's the law.