Website Feedback

Guest Tyrah Majors

Guest Tyrah Majors

I am a newly published author and illustrator of the children's book "Grammy and Me." I recently found out about AALBC through a fellow author I met at a book fair. Today was my first time visiting the website, and I must say how impressed I am. All of the tabs and resources provided on here for authors are SO helpful. It's very easy to navigate and find different things. I learned a lot of new stuff and I hadn't before just from spending a few minutes on the site. Also, It's nice to have a place for Black authors and illustrators to come together. Thank you! You all can see my book at www.tyrahmajors.com 

Tyrah, thank you so much for taking the time to express those sentiments.    Please thank the author who referred the site.  Word of mouth is a powerful tool--still :)

Which book festival did you attend?  How did you like it?

Very nice website!  Many authors are just throwing up Facebook pages, so it is refreshing to see folks contributing something unique to the web.

• 4 months later...

@Troy , I attempted to update my about me section on my profile and it returned an error.  Itwon't update.  Also I used the promotion tool on one of my discussion posts - and it also returned an error - it used to work but now there's  a bug.   

Ok enough of the housekeeping. 

Is there a way we could save the books we'd like to purchase to our profile? 

Also on the books for purchase - do you get credit if I purchase the book from amazon?  I rather purchase books directly from the authors' or their publishing companies. I know you were working on a way to get advertising fees for books sold through aalbc from author/publishing company's websites - have you decided on a plan (that is easy for us lowtech folks) ?

I'll need to look into this bugs -- thanks for pointing them out.

Yes I earn a commission from Amazon, for book sales, but the most important thing is that the book is purchased.  If you buy it from the author, publisher, or indie bookseller that is the most important thing. 

I've also decided to simply sell books directly.  Turns out I don't have the time, resources, and energy to corral the entities together to make the indie affiliate program work.  Still I think it would be a much better long term strategy, but the coordination required is too much for me. 

If there is a book you want there me know what it is and I'll have it shipped to you. No tax, I can swing a 10% discount off list and you'll get it in a few days. I'll invoice via PayPal or Square.

Thanks for your support @Mel Hopkins!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy said:

Turns out I don't have the time, resources, and energy to corral the entities together to make the indie affiliate program work.  Still I think it would be a much better long term strategy, but the coordination required is too much for me. 

@Troy

I agree it would be better for the long term.   In fact it would allow every independent book publisher, self-publisher of books for and/or by African-Americans to become a sustainable distribution network.    Imagine #readingblack.com becoming a large independent book distribution network.    

In fact, if you or someone would show us how to track our books for sales, distribution and dispensing advertising fees we all in the blackbook eco-system could actually sell each other’s books too.   Not only would each make money we will support true independent distribution network.

1- we'll have a mechanism to get an advertising fees for books we don't have to stock - and

2- we, independent publishers and self-publishers will have learned another piece of code that will allow us to track the books we sell through other websites. 

Btw, this comment also belongs in

and it will definitely be welcomed in #readingblack.com Strategies

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...