Hello all. Not sure where to post a general greeting so I'm just getting in where I fit in. I've had an account since last year and had intentions of joining the party then but got sidetracked by the fascination/horror of the election season. I also was in the process of preparing to exit the restaurant business of which I've been involved with for many years. I'm happy to talk about that and whatever else. Just don't ask me to cook. (Although I make potato salad you can trust.) Congratulations on a great community and I look forward to participating. 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Mark Radford said:

I also was in the process of preparing to exit the restaurant business of which I've been involved with for many years.

Hello!!!

I just finished this book "Transitioning from employee to entrepreneur"  - Do you feel comfortable  sharing  your experience of exiting your business? If yes, please share.   Thank you.

• Like 1

Sure. 

The last ten and a half years I operated a quick-service neighborhood restaurant, which we opened when our children were both very young - under three years old. Long story short the demands of a 7 day a week operation, scarcity of good help (no matter how much you pay them) and desire to reclaim our weekends and family time outweighed the money and quasi-fame of restaurant ownership. For now, anyway. 

We also owned/operated a catering business some years back before the kids came along and were in and out of W-2 gigs so we've been on both sides.

I still and will always push for entrepreneurship! Freedom! 

Whatever business category one pursues I recommend a THOROUGH amount of planning and soul searching. 

And here's the trick: Never go in with an attitude of "Will it work?" Will I have enough customers/clients/contracts?

Your attitude MUST be, "How will I handle all the damn business I'll be getting?" And that's the ONLY attitude you should have. Generally things will work out...

All the above was the subject of my book/blog "Restaurant Winners" (shameless plug).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Radford said:

All the above was the subject of my book/blog "Restaurant Winners" (shameless plug).

@Mark Radford  Thank you. ... I read your blog post about the ghosts in the restaurants -- good story!  Those gloves - made it even more spooky!  Nice placement.  When I pulled up the page - I thought "why the gloves"... when I finished the story... it was "oh those gloves" lol