Black Woman Turns White.

In A Dove Soap .Commercial A Black Woman Using Dove Soap ,Becomes White . Yes, There Was A Uproar. .Criticism. They Were ,Trying To Represent Women Of Color. .Using Dove Soap A Black --,Woman Cleanse To Whiteness...Black Woman Uses Dove -Soap,Pulls Off Her Shirt ,A White Woman ,Appears...Amazing..Black Is Beautiful....

• Haha 1

Everything is so crazy nowadays.  Surely Dove's advertising department couldn't be that insensitive to how such a commercial would be viewed unless, of course, it was using reverse psychology in order to reinforce its white users feeling of white skin being a paragon of beauty.  Dove's sales will probably rise as a result of black women protesting this commercial.  White America is very sick of the political correctness that calls for tolerating black people's grievances, privately thinking  "you people"  need to stop complaining about everything, and just be glad you can live in this great republic and maybe even have a good job.  

My regard for this country is nil.  Donald Trump has succeeded in bringing out the worst in both races,  fomenting divisiveness. I am revolted by all of the ignorant stupid mostly white people who surround and support this "fuckin' moron" in office. They all make me cringe, and - i'm sure i would have the same effect on them inasmuch as i detest everything they stand for and  hold dear.  I couldn't even muster up a whole lot of concern about all those people killed and injured in Las Vegas because i've convinced myself these country music fans were the type who would support Trump and  blindly revere the flag and the national anthem.

A new book coming out is advancing a new theory about Americans.  It describes an attitude  that the author claims crosses color lines and political parties, a certain trait most of them  consciously or subconsciously  possess.  What is it they all have in common?  Authoritarianism, defined as: the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom.  The author elucidates, saying deep down inside Americans really want parameters and want everyone to adhere to structured  behavior and  common standards because they feel secure with rules that maintain stability. Rebels are frowned upon and unorthodox or peculiar people  viewed with suspicion. 

What this author seems to be implying is that Americans secretly believe too much freedom is dangerous for the common good and really do want a nation of sheeple and clones, presided over by strong leaders.  Is he right?  i know many people who abhor dissent and prefer peace and harmony at any cost.  Being argumentative, I encounter these kinds almost daily. :huh:

I could play devil's advocate and say;

This commercial is not racist. The Black woman in it was paid and was obviously happy doing what she did.  You men are not entitled to even speak on any subject relating to Black women.  We don't need or want you mansplaining anything to us.  You old people are out of touch.  It is 2017 and Black women have reclaimed their agency and if we want to magically transform into white girl that is up to us!

Seriously, if you don't like it boycott Dove and tell you friends to do so too.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Delano said:

There's another element. Domination. Male slaves dominated female slaves. Victims seem to continue the pattern if victimisation. Not always but it happens.

Do you think when authoritarianism and domination  take the form of structure and strength, that  those subjected to this feel more secure and protected as long as such control  is not abusive. Does a population secretly want a Nanny government if this means calmness?  That's what the book's author seems to implying.

I didn't care too much for Dove soap anyway.

I tried it a few times and it made me feel like I wasn't quite clean or as if the soap didn't wash completely off.

Who wants to walk around feeling "greasy" all day.....lol.

Cynique

Did Donald Trump bring out the worst in both races?

Or did he just peel bandage off of a wound that was already there.....and infected?

I believe Trump basically EMBOLDENED racists to do and say in public what they wanted to do anyway.

Delano

You can't be a VICTIM and a VICTIMIZER at the same time.
If the male slave was being dominated, the ONLY way he could treat his fellow female slave is however the master ALLOWED him to treat her.

Even if he got drunk and beat and raped his wife (or woman because he can't really be a husband and she can't really be a wife while in bondage)....it's STILL the slave master's fault that she was beaten and raped.

1. Pioneer perhaps  there is a difference between what you can conceive and what is possible.
  2. @Cynique there are some interesting psychological studies about power and conformity. Most people would rather conform to group opinions that go against their own sense perceptions and values. People want to fit in because they are social. Like prostitutes give all of their money to the pimp.
  • Thanks 1

An old buddy of mine reminded me of the Michael Jackson Video below. Again it seems social media has has driven people in sane.  I guess today Michael Jackson would be vilified as a racist all over Twitter too. 

Interestingly, "the gloved one" did make is own personal transformation from Black to white, including his own progeny...

We have better things to be outraged about.

• Thanks 1

Identity is a pretty big issue Troy. 

African American have no historical  identity sepreate from slavery. Every other hyphenated American can claim a country. I have seen a marked difference between African Americans,

Africans, Caribbean even English people of African Caribbean descent.

It may not have valence for you. However I can agree with tou statement in particular or generally. Since Inam uncomfortable with self appointed arbiter of what is important. 

• Thanks 1

Troy you're right we DO have more important things to be outraged about......

But I seriously doubt WE (Black people) are the ones who even made this an issue.....initially atleast.
I'm willing to bet only a few Black people even complained about the ad.

But it was probably a STRATEGIC MOVE by racists in the media.
Just one more of many attempts to TRIVIALIZE racism by focusing on minor incidents of "maybe" racism while ignoring the bigger ones.

This issue with dove soap is just one example.

Another example is if you remember a few weeks ago ESPN decided to replace an Asian announcer because his name was "Robert Lee":

"I
n the wake of the white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville, Va., ESPN has reassigned announcer Robert Lee from broadcasting Virginia’s season-opening game against William & Mary because of the similarity of his name to the famous Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

ESPN provided the following statement:

"We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue."

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/22/robert-lee-espn-announcer-university-virginia-charlottesville

Now in BOTH cases I'm willing to wager that very few if any BLACK PEOPLE complained about these issues being racist.

Hell, ESPN actually SUSPENDED a Black woman Jemele Hill for her tweets about Donald Trump!
So are we to seriously believe that they really give a damn about the sensitivities of Black people to the point of removing an Asian announcer because of his name?
Something Black people probably never even requested.

This is one of the reasons we have to do what Tariq Nasheed said and

CONTROL THE NARRATIVE

when it comes to racial discussions.

When WE control the narrative, the real issues of real racism get discussed and focused on.
When White racists and corporatists control the narrative, they focus the public on nonsense that TRIVIALIZES the problem of racism and makes any accusation of it look ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

An old buddy of mine reminded me of the Michael Jackson Video below. Again it seems social media has has driven people in sane.  I guess today Michael Jackson would be vilified as a racist all over Twitter too. 

Interestingly, "the gloved one" did make is own personal transformation from Black to white, including his own progeny...

We have better things to be outraged about.

No because MJ provided the context by the song title and his face.

@Del, yeah someone else on YouTube argued that content was important when comparing the two videos.  Dove was selling soap so that made the commercial racist. It seems "context," or one's interpretation of context, is subjective.  The context to me is an environment were people are easily distracted by nonsense, losing track to what is actually important.

Del, if you don't decide what is important then someone else will do it for you.  We as Black people lets others set our agenda.  I know I sound like a broken record with this, but it is true.  This is why I side with @Pioneer1 on this issue; thought I may disagree on some points. 

I may disagree with Pioneer about the motivation of what is going but the outcomes is the same  nonetheless.

We are busy running round complaining about some stupid commercial meanwhile Black people are fighting for survival. I watched News One convene a panel to talk about the Dove commercial--Their news is directed by whatever nonsense is trending on Twitter. .All talk no call for action.  Five minutes from now we will be focused on the next shiny object held in front of us.

As predicted, we've forgotten all about Colin and are now debating how to respect the flag.  We have no control over our agenda.  It will remain that way until we own some platforms that do more than discuss what is on twitter and that the rest of us value through patronage.

During my research on Black websites (a deeply enlightening activity for we own far less than I through), I stumbled across this article on DiversityInc.

@Pioneer1, of course you and I will notice how much darker the model is in the photo compared to the commercial... maybe you are on to something man when it comes to the motivation of these corporations....

"The Black model who appeared in a Dove ad that garnered negative attention for its racist message claims that critics may have jumped the gun before knowing the full commercial’s intended message." —Kaitlyn D'Onofrio, DiversityInc

Black Model form the Dove commercial

It should be obvious by now that white advertisers  don't care about what message, deliberate or imagined, their commercials send to black consumers.  For every black person who is offended, there are 2 white people who are sick of political correctness and will either continue to or start buying the product being  cited for  being racist. When these advertisers apologize, they are just giving lip service so as to not appear insensitive. 

Black lives don't matter, and black grievances are perceived as being annoying or unnecessary, or ungrateful. The silent white majority can't understand why blacks are so discontented when so many of them are doing well, while the rest of them are killing each other or committing crimes.   Rich and famous blacks, are actually  resented by working class whites.  

i have become burnt out trying to justify why blacks have reason to complain.  This is exacerbated by everything else that bugs me about Trump and his support base, and i find myself wishing bad things would happen to him.  Like a bolt of lightening striking him in a public place for everybody to see, and get the message that god didn't sent him here to save America.  :angry:

• Like 1

Troy i disagree because this forum wr set the agenda. And rhe regular contributors are a good mix of pov.

I think image is incredibly inportant. Since they cam become symbols. 

Image effects how you see the world and your thinking. 

By not seeing images that represent your identity. , you become a ghost. You have no claim. And in the case of Black American. Yiu have no history you can claim pre slavery.

I recently got into a discussion about it White Privledge. I was told i was a racist and fascist for making a blanket statement about white people. So I agree with Cynique, it is pointless 90% of the time to talk about race, sexism or power dynamics. 

As an aside I can't imagine the ad in reverse ever playing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I obviously agree with you @Del, the more I dig into who controls Black images, at least here in the web, I beginning to see that Black people control FAR less than even I expected. 

As a result, people are confused because they simply do not know he truth. White people are at a loss to understand why Black people have anything to complain about. We have high paying jobs providing their entertainment, expensive cell phones with internet access to consume their products, and even a Black president--what else could we want?

When all is said and done, black people are frustrated and resentful  because white people are in power doing what black folks, themselves,  would be doing if they had the upper hand.  Nobody shares power because "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".   Whites seized power, overwhelmed blacks and to the victors go the spoils that include being in control,  revisionist history, and entitlement, all of which blacks would've fallen heir to, and relished and enforced  had they possessed the wherewithal to overwhelm whites. That's the ugly truth. And black folks will just have to learn to live with it,  have to acknowledge that they are America's stepchildren, hungering for a piece of the pie but having to be satisfied with a few crumbs, while standing around endlessly droning about unity and being manipulated.  (Apparently being entertained and having their interests catered to does not count as compensation.)  and so it goes.    

And I don't know why people can't discern that the Kaepernick protest was always about the flag, a challenge to a piece of cloth to deliver on its promise of equal justice under the law to  all of its citizens who are supposed to be free to exercise their first amendment rights by protesting when equal justice is denied. White people figured this out and it's eating them up  to have to be in the position of implicitly denying blacks this right that black men also fought for, even as they were being lynched and denied the vote and segregated.  All those whites pissing on themselves about this can only distort the message and resort to cloaking their racism in patriotism in an attempt to villanize the messengers.   Yes,  knee bending was  ostensibly about the misconduct of white police  but you can't separate this issue from racism. It's what racism is all about, and what this country and the flag are all about! i'll never consider bending the knee a failure because it shook up and angered hypocritical Americans.  

I'm done.

• Thanks 1

Classic Cynique.

@Cynique, do you still send editorials to the newspaper.  You should send something to the Defender.

Well @Del, I've been to Nigeria and that country alone has about 180M Black people.  Black people will absolutely survive.  We will survive even here in America.  My only issue is will we share equally in the spoils, or continue to allow ourselves to be exploited.

I will never give up fighting for our piece of the web--even if I have to fight for it single handedly...

Troy

"it you don't decide what is important then someone else will do it for you"

Nailed it.

Again, it's all about CONTROLING THE NARRATIVE.

If people would have looked at the commercial in it's entire "context" then they would have noticed that after the Black woman turned White.....the White woman turned into a non-White woman who looked like she was of Middle Easter descent.

I just makes Black people look like we're crying wolf.....and we weren't even the ones pushing the issue.

Cynique

"i have become burnt out trying to justify why blacks have reason to complain."

Maybe you should stop trying.

The older I get, the more I realize how USELESS it often is trying to convince White people that racism is a problem.
It's NOT a problem.....for them.

Like Archie Bunker (All In The Family) told the man at the unemployment agency who pretended to sympathize with him and said he undertand what he was going through,
Archie said OFCOURSE you know what I'm going through because YOU'RE the one putting me through it!

I thought that was one of the most remarkable lines in television history.

Every Black person should memorize that line and use it as a response as well as a motto because it will teach our people not to put so much effort into COMPLAINING to the very people who are guilty of the offense!

By the way......
I've often wondered over the years would Black people do the same thing White people have done if WE were in the same position with just as much power.

After studying both, I seriously doubt that we would.

Ofcourse White people have had more technology and were smarter, but that's not the only reason they act the way they do.....there are other deeper psychological reasons that Black people DON'T share.

I don't think Black people would be so anti-sexual if we were ruling.

Del

The person who called you a racist and facist......what color were they?

@Delano, as you know I'm really not keen on talking in terms racial terms (there is only one race), but Black people in terms of the way I assume you are thinking about it them out number white people.  If you throw in all of the other non-white people on Earth, white people are in the minority.  Demographically, here in the United States, their days as a majority will come to an end--soon.

Of course white folks see this as a threat, which is why they are so keen on building walls.  Even though we all know that will never happen, nor would it actually be effective.