Support the Black Documents: Exhibition & Conference

Troy

My buddy, Ron Kavanaugh, who runs the Literary Freedom Project, has just launched a Kickstarter campaign for his upcoming literary conference.

Mosaic Literary Conference kickstarter Campaign
Support Mosaic Literary Conferences’s Fundraiser

Ron actually started a website dedicated to Black book before AALBC.com launched.  He discontinued his website in 2014, for all the reasons reason I've lamented over the years.  We met each other back in 1998 at a now defunct bookstore Nkiru Books in Brooklyn. One of the  store's booksellers introduced us, because he was aware of both of our websites.  

Ron actually went to the same high school and graduated the same year I did, but we did not know each other in school (it was a big school).  Interestingly, our friend, @Mel Hopkins, was also a member of that class (it was also great school). ;) 

• Like 1

Hey Troy

That's a lot of defunct history --MosaicBooks.com, Nkiru Books, all the other black-owned bookstores and websites. But the Literary Freedom Project is hanging on trying to do some good.  As you know, LFP presents the annual Mosaic Literary Conference. This year we're complementing the conference with photography exhibits Jamel Shabazz: Black Documents and Black Documents: Freedom. Everything starts on Saturday, November 25, at the Bronx Museum of the Arts.

The overarching goal of all the programs are to examine Black identity --from the tragedy of Kalief Browder's life to the beautiful presentations of Blackness in the photography of Jamel Shabazz. We want to provide a space learning and community building. This year's theme was inspired by Kalief's life and all the other black and brown people who are being killed under unnecessary circumstances.

Give to our Kickstarter. Visit www.bit.ly/blkdocs for complete details.

best

Ron Kavanaugh

• Thanks 1