NAACP Warns About Safety When Traveling on American Airlines

“(October 24, 2017) – The NAACP, the nation’s original and largest social justice advocacy organization, has released the following statement today announcing a travel advisory warning African Americans about their safety and well being when patronizing American Airlines or traveling on American Airlines flights: “The NAACP for several months now has been monitoring a pattern of disturbing incidents reported by African-American passengers, specific to American Airlines. In light of these confrontations, we have today taken the action of issuing national advisory alerting travelers—especially African Americans—to exercise caution, in that booking and boarding flights on American Airlines could subject them disrespectful, discriminatory or unsafe conditions. This travel advisory is in effect beginning today, October 24, 2017, until further notice.“

This reminds me of the last NAACP advisory to avoid MIssouri.  One of the four examples to justify this action was the following:

“An African-American woman and her infant child were removed from a flight from Atlanta to New York City when the woman (incidentally a Harvard Law School student) asked that her stroller be retrieved from checked baggage before she would disembark.“

The NAACP seems to be swifty careening into irrelevancy.  Maybe I'm being too hard, but these two issues seems to be relatively minor ones to be preoccupied to be throwing the whole weight of the NAACP behind.   All of these issues are thing that people can actually handle on their own.  What the NAACP is asking us to do is something Black folks do anyway.  We already know to exercise caution.

I going to reach out to the NAACP and see if they will join in and support my proposed boycott of the Amazon's bookstore. I just wish they would stop issuing these toothless advisories.  Like the boy who cried wolf no one will take these seriously--assuming anyone is taking them seriously now.

Troy

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I was just about to post that the NAACP is becoming increasingly irrelevant, precisely BECAUSE of attention getting "antics" like this and the one they did a few months ago when they "advised" Black people to be careful when in the state of Missouri.

I can't really bash any group willing to sound alarms, but like you said before.....this is almost like crying wolf.
It's hard for people to take you seriously when you put out bulletins like this without any plans to actually

If the NAACP want to alert people of a REAL threat.........
If the NAACP wants an issue to REALLY investigate and bring attention to......

They should focus on the FBI memo a few years ago that clearly states that White supremacists have started to infiltrate various law enforcement agencies.

When the memo was first made known they should have pounced on it and stayed on it until the Obama Administration with it's Black Attorney Generals took affirmative action to investigate and purge these clowns out of the system.

But where were they?

Hell, they can STILL place demands on the current Administration, though I don't have too much confidence in the matter being properly addressed with Sessions in office.

• Thanks 1

Being "relevant" hasn't accomplished anything lately in the ongoing civil rights struggle. From the beginning the NAACP has always been about providing legal counsel for black  people with grievances.  They have currently take on the role of watchdog, attacking racism from a different front motivated , perhaps, by how ineffective BLM has been. 

Black people boycotting Amazon would just be a dent in the armor of this mega corporation, which not only sells books online but everything else under the sun.Incidently, Chicago is among the big cities competing to be the site of a huge new Amazon center projected to provide 40, 000 jobs.    

New York submitted several locations to Amazon. No one thinks these things through.

I considered trying to boycott all of Amazon but figured no one would be willing to sacrifice that. I thought by just boycotting the bookstore everyone who is affected by this might consider at least doing that.

I heard the NAACP was motivated to this action because some celebrity was booted from first class...SMH

I'm sure American Airlines won't be affected in the least bit. They'll offer the obligatory empty apology-- if they haven't already so and promise to put in procedures to avoid any recurrences in the future...yawn.