End of Poverty?

The U.S. House of Representatives just passed  their version of Senate bill which is a large tax cut bill that benefits anyone who earns more than $900,000 a year ...47 Million Americans (what's left of the middle class) are expected to be impacted ... We aren't inching towards the haves and have nots... we are there - slaves and slave masters...  This documentary shows how we got there...

From the dailymotion video with english subtitles 

http://filmow.com/the-end-of-poverty-t71910 The End of Poverty? is a daring, thought-provoking and very timely documentary by award-winning filmmaker, Philippe Diaz, revealing that poverty is not an accident. It began with military conquest, slavery and colonization that resulted in the seizure of land, minerals and forced labor. Today, global poverty has reached new levels because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies -- in other words, wealthy countries exploiting the weaknesses of poor, developing countries. 

The End of Poverty? asks why today 20% of the planet's population uses 80% of its resources and consumes 30% more than the planet can regenerate? 

The film has been selected to over 25 international film festivals and will be released in theatres in November 2009. Directed by Philippe Diaz, produced by Cinema Libre Studio with the Robert Schalkenbach Foundation, 104mins, 2008, USA, documentary in English, Spanish, French with English Subtitles. The End of Poverty The End of Poverty"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to watch this too.

"We aren't inching towards the haves and have nots... we are there - slaves and slave masters..."

Exactly.  But this we will not change because too many people don't realize this or care.  The most astonishing reaction to my proposed boycott of Amazon, for example, is that some, a minority for sure, but a sizeable one, sees absolutely nothing wrong with Amazon being a monopoly.  Here is a conversation I had with someone (who I don't know) on Facebook over a period of less than 24 hours.  The conversation went nowhere.  I don't see how I could possible help someone like this understand why Amazon's growing dominance is bad for all concerned (save Amazon's investors). 

Troy Johnson María, It is interesting that some have made this an issue of Amazon versus mainstream publishing. Sure Amazon is manhandling the "Big 5" publishers, but my motivation for this action is to help independent authors, publishers, and booksellers.
María Cristina Silva López Amazon is not the only place independent authors can use to publish. There's tons more. But they require extra work and advertising, which many are not willing/able to put in. Hardly Amazon's fault. As for independent booksellers, there's Amazon marketplace, as well as many other alternatives. Nowadays if a person wants to run a business and be profitable they can't just expect one source of revenue income. That's why Amazon is so profitable, they get it. It's not just books, it's clothes, it's appliances, it's groceries, it's dash buttons, it's own products, it's percentages of other business' sales. It's a great business model that anyone could replicate in smaller scale. Bitching and moaning about the big bad Amazon is not gonna get these people sales, but it's a heck of a lot easier that working your arse off to get them.
Consumers are turning to alternatives from traditional publishing because they're not getting what they want. Amazon is just one of the ways they can access that. 30 years ago it would have been impossible for me to discover a self-published teen author from Australia. Today that teen can get my money and a new fan, and I can help spread their name around.

Remove
Troy Johnson I'm not sure if you've read my article. In it I reference a report: Amazon’s Stranglehold: How the Company’s Tightening Grip Is Stifling Competition, Eroding Jobs, and Threatening Communities (Institute for Local Self-Reliance), you may download it her...See More

Manage
María Cristina Silva López Yeah I read it. I agree with a lot of it, the way they do some things is far from great. Doesn't contradict at all what I'm saying though.
Assuming I didn't because I don't suddenly agree with you it's insulting towards me and extremely arrogant.
They 
...See More

Remove
Troy Johnson María, being insulted is your choice. I simply did not think you read my article or any of the related information because of what you wrote. In many areas Amazon is, or approaching, becoming a monopoly. Surely you must realize a monopoly represents is a complete failure of capitalism. Now if you think Amazon is a reflection of capitalism working well; then we will have to disagree--no insult intended.

Manage
Valerie Drew I purchase books from Amazon, Kobo, local bookshops, charity shops and mainstream sellers. I support local bookshops as I love them and don't want to lose them. So no this isn't just about Amazon.

Remove
Sarah Hindmarsh Then stop being a prat and kill this before it starts. You are going to HURT independently published authors beyond belief. Your actions are completely irresponsible and you clearly have not properly considered the consequences for the people who depend on ebook sales through Amazon to make a living.
Troy Johnson Sarah, my sole motivation for considering this action is to benefit independent authors, publishers, and booksellers. I would be willing to bet that I've made more money from Amazon that you have, since I've been an affiliate for them since 2002. If I were to boycott them I'd be cutting off a revenue stream--fortunately my livelihood is not dependent upon a single corporation. But again the very fact that you believe that I would "HURT independently published authors beyond belief" is precisely the problem I'm trying to solve. No author should be dependent upon one company. Again this is the situation monopolies create.

Manage
Sarah Hindmarsh You obviously fail to see the point completely Troy Johnson. I have a very successful tuition business and rely on amazon precisely zero for the roof over my head. Others are not so fortunate. Attempting to make them destitute to further your own political cause in this way is frankly despicable.

Remove
Troy Johnson Being hyperbolic and accusing me of wanting to make others destitute is absurdly hyperbolic and/or disingenuous. But thanks for your comments.

Manage
Sarah Hindmarsh That may not actually be your aim, but if this poorly thought out action were to succeed that would be precisely the result. I know you think you are doing a good thing here but your grasp of the potential consequences is atrocious.

At this point i gave up.  Some people have to had the last word, and I was clearly not getting anywhere.  But it gives you a sense of how Amazon has become an issue of religious proportions. I doubt even a documentary like the one above will make a dent in people like the person I was debating above.

• Sad 1

I appreciate it when people draw attention to a problem because it's one of the first steps to solving that problem, but.......

But did we really need Phillipe Diaz or any other White man to "reveal" to us that poverty wasn't accidental?

Come on.....

White men MADE the inequality and poverty you see going on all over the world so ofcourse they are the one's best qualified to talk about it in great detail and insight.

It's like what Archie Bunker told the man at the unemployment office, who tried to play sympathetic and said he understood what Archie was going through.
Archie said,
"You damn right you know what I'm going through because YOU'RE the one putting me through it!!"

Western civilization and all of the societies that have been heavily influenced by it has ALWAYS been a society of haves and havenots.....this is nothing new.

Things got a little bit better in this nation when Black people demanded more rights back in the 50s and 60s and 70s....but as soon as we got satisfied things went back to business as usual.

So I'm not suprised or jumping up and down that Diaz or any other White man would do a film on a subject they help establish.

What would suprise me is if he took affirmative steps to SOLVE the problem!

He can start in France which I believe is the nation of his birth and convince the other White Frenchmen who have benefited off of colonialism to end their policies that are choking the life out of the African nations they formally colonized.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Troy said:

But if give you a sense of how Amazon has become an issue of religious proportions

@Troy  Ok this exchange is scary.   But what's worse in 2008, I was an affiliate and I felt the same way as these devotees.   All it took for me to wake up from my slumber was to realize that my book was selling through amazon but I wasn't getting my royalties.   

But yes, I think this is exactly how we became slaves.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"  ...

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

any other White man to "reveal" to us that poverty wasn't accidental?

Yes... because while I knew of the inequity- I didn't know of the laws that made it possible.

What's worse is we haven't stopped it yet. We haven't changed our ways. We continue to vote to allow the oligarchs to take more of our rights.  We haven't taken the steps prescribed in the documentary or even from the man who is a confessed economic hit man to act on it. 

@Troy is sounding the alarm to put an end to it by slowing down Amazon, facebook, google , apple - microsoft - what NY Times called Technology's Frightful Five   ... and he posted the push back he received from doing something as simple as boycotting Amazon.   Those people are extremely scary...(I was them before I had the information we have today) - 

So yes, I think we do need more people of every color to keep speaking up and providing solutions.   These are laws being enacted that are enslaving people once again.  

I bet if I tracked my activities of a 24 hour period it would reveal how I'm contributing to poverty in the motherland.  In fact, I know it..because I'm a huge coffee and tea drinker ...so even that simple action is aiding in the genocide of Kenyans.   

@Pioneer1 Question:  What part shocked you? What part did you already know but decided there was nothing you could do about it?  What simple action can you do to make a difference in all our lives today?

• Thanks 1

I realized as soon as the family on the beach in Brazil came up that I'd seen the documentary before.  But I did like the approach of putting the issue of poverty in a global context.  The documentary is a decade old and things have gotten worse.

The interesting thing about 45 dissing the widow was the fact that America was carrying out operations in Niger.  Wait, what what the heck are we doing in Niger?  All due respect to the widow, but 45's flubbing of the condolence was both expected and pales in comparison to what American is doing in with our money, and in our name, on the continent of Africa.

There are many who feel we are growing our colonizing ways, raping Africa of their resources, and impoverishing the people. But as long as we have cell phones (Africa is rich in the metals needed to make these devices), we don't care.  

But how can we care? We don't have a media with the resources to help us understand what is happening and why it matters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mel

Yes... because while I knew of the inequity- I didn't know of the laws that made it possible.

What's worse is we haven't stopped it yet. We haven't changed our ways. We continue to vote to allow the oligarchs to take more of our rights. We haven't taken the steps prescribed in the documentary or even from the man who is a confessed economic hit man to act on it.

When you say "we" haven't stopped it yet.....it shows me that you don't have a full grasp of the problem.

The problem is WHITE SUPREMACY.

If you look at the bottom of my posts at the signature it read,

"If you do not understand White Supremacy....what it is and how it works......everything else you understand will only confuse you"

Part of understanding White Supremacy is understanding that ALL economic inequality is caused by White racists because THEY control the economy all around the world!

WE haven't stopped it because WE (me, you, and the other people of color and victims of racism all over the world) didn't start it.

It was started by the White Supremists who left Europe centuries ago and imposed a system of oppression and injustice GURANTEEING that most of the people will live lives of poverty oppression in order to satisfy their worldwide economy.

Asian women have little influence over poverty.
African men have little influence over poverty.
Native American men have little influence over poverty.

They are mostly victims of it.

Who controls the world's economy?

Who controls the IMF?

Who controls the World Bank?

WHITE MEN!

....White men like Mr Diaz who is pretending to give a damn...lol.

And WHITE MEN are the ones who can influence it and change it.....if they want to.

What part shocked you?

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I'm sure none of it will be shocking because I've worked with and still work with poor and homeless people so I've seen destitution and it's effects first hand.

What simple action can you do to make a difference in all our lives today?

-Make sure I'm not living in poverty myself, because before I can help ANYONE I have to be in a position to.
-Give CONSTRUCTIVE assistance (food, housing, limited cash, protection, advice, ect...) to people living in poverty and destitution in my community....which I've done for years.
-As best I can....let people know some of the rules and codes of White Supremacyand how it works so that they can protect themselves and not fall into poverty, crime, incarceration, addiction, and other traps of White Supremacy.

This won't guarantee they still won't fall into the traps, but with more information and with their guard up...they'll be less likely to.

The only LASTING solution to poverty and oppression is for the system of White Supremacy to end since it spawned these plagues in the first place.

• Thanks 1

Let me also say......

I know you've worked with a lot of so-called "poor White people" in different parts of the United States, so my blaming racism and White Supremacy for poverty and gross inequalities may not jive too well with you, however.........

If you understand the SYSTEM of White Supremacy and how it works, you'll realize that MOST of the White people in this nation who are poor and living in those conditions are living exactly how they WANT to live.

It may be hard for you, me, or other people of color to understand why people would want to live in poverty or without adequate healthcare....but we aren't White.

Anyone who's lived or worked around poor White people will know how openly and viciously racist most of them are.

One of the reasons you found so many poor White people living out in the woods and in trailer park communities around Virginia, Illinois, and Ohio is because they were too hateful and racist to live with Black people in the cities where they probably could have accessed more resources.

They PURPOSELY moved out into these rural areas and if they were born there they CHOSE TO STAY in these communities because most would rather live in poverty in the mountains than move to the city where there's more opportunity and risk their sister or daughter dating a Black or Latino person.

Some of the same poor Whites you were helping probably voted for Trump and were AGAINST Obama Care although it would help them tremendously.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:37 PM, Pioneer1 said:

...so my blaming racism and White Supremacy for poverty and gross inequalities may not jive too well with you, however...

The word you are trying use is "jibe" not "jive". To jibe with someone is to agree with them. Jibe can also mean “be compatible with or similar to.” If two people jibe, they get along quite well. (Definition from Merriam Webster.)

Trailer park communities exists in every state, just like ghettos exist in most of them.  We have to be careful in giving explanations for why whites do what they do.  Especially since we tend to blow off whites when they seek to explain why blacks do what they do. Trailer park dwellers are no different from white suburbanites when it comes to a choice of where to live.  Racism crosses all classes.  

Poor whites helplessly stay where they are because they are too unskilled and dumb to be upwardly mobile.  They along with ghetto blacks have been relegated to the fate of the have-nots in a capitalistic society. 

i think if you interviewed blacks in the inner city, i'm sure you'd find they have just as much revulsion and contempt for poor whites as these woebegotten cretins have for them. So why worry about why poor whites are where they are. Who cares?

• Thanks 1

Yes SOME poor White people are dumb and unskilled a very few, but most AREN'T.

Don't deceive yourself into thinking we're all the same.

Most of the White people who are poor and living in these woods that you think are dumn and you feel sorry for are SMARTER THAN YOU.

They know how to build cars, rig up buildings, make helicopters and all types of machines.

They tend to be VERY smart and mechanically inclined.

They also have big laboratories in these trailors where they sit up and make all types of chemicals and drugs to sell.

They know how to make meth, artificial heroin, and others drugs and synthetic drugs.

They are living there because they WANT to live there.....because they don't want to live anywhere near Black or Brown people because of hate.

Poor White people have a different mentality than poor Black people.

Most Black people DON'T WANT to be poor and if they knew how to get out of poverty they would....in a heart beat.

Most poor White people in America don't mind being poor, because they feel it's their LOT or DUTY in the system of White supremacy.
They'll take that hit for the "team".

Just like many of them will go without healthcare and will fight against Universal healthcare even though they need it too.

White people as a group are MUCH smarter....even the poor ones.

Like I said, most (not all) of the poor ones are poor because they WANT to be in the position they're in.

@Pioneer1, I'm completely unfamiliar with the notion that large communities of poor white people want to be poor 

Anecdotally, one of the most common conversations I overhear, when in Florida, is white people talking about how hard they work.  I was at a book fair the Ft Myers and witnessed a popcorn vendor talking to an ice cream vendor next to her, saying that this was just a part time job. She explained that she had another job and was working 7 days a week.  The ice cream vendor was working three part time jobs and was looking for full time work.  Neither appeared to be racist. The popcorn lady provided me with friendly service.

Of course there are white racists who are poor, but I doubt either group wants to be poor.  I believe being racist is a consequence of poverty due to lack of education and scapegoated promoted by manipulative plutocrats like 45.  Of course there are middle class racist, but they are probably only one or two generations out of poverty and there are rich racists--who truly believe they are genetically superior, but they are just stupid.

Some people understand intuitively, or through life experience, that racism is a flawed belief system.  Anyone with a decent education should know this as well.

Unfortunately given the state of our education system and our habit of consuming information through social media memes, both poverty and the racism it breeds will probably grow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The problem is WHITE SUPREMACY.

@Pioneer1   

1) I asked if you watched the film because I asked my questions within context of the film.  Since, you answered "No” then you can't provide an informed opinion that is relative to the film.  That's cool. 

In the documentary, the problem is NOT white supremacy...  Now if you want to go off topic, that's fine.

2) But for sake of argument let's say the film discusses "white supremacy" then we see it's not a goal or a problem per se, it's a tactic.  In this film, the goal was empire building and where necessary” white supremacy" was used as a tactic to divide the people from their natural resources and riches.    

3) THE PROBLEM, both in the film and globally, is the goal of a pseudo emperor attempting to seize and control resources, even natural resources to amass a fortune for his/her empire.  Thereby reducing the rest of the planet and its inhabitants to slavery and servitude.  

In sports, such as basketball, I know you don’t get distracted by your opponent’s fancy footwork & dribbling – that’s how you get your ankles broken.  You maintain your focus on achieving your goal.

Leaving the sports analogy, defense can be a goal but it’s not an effective one.  

There are a few countries that have created their own goals – and as a result are not at the mercy of the World Bank or IMF.

One country has already taken steps to create its own world bank.

They may have problems but white supremacy ain’t one.

If you really understood white supremacy,  you'd know you fell for the illusion. Then you’d know it’s a distraction to keep alleged “non-white” people on a defense to lose sight of their own goals.  You’d know the would-be emperor is skilled at the art of legerdemain.   

The easiest way to defeat him is to stop letting him rent space in your head. 

9 hours ago, Cynique said:

The word you are trying use is "jibe" not "jive". To jibe with someone is to agree with them. Jibe can also mean “be compatible with or similar to.” If two people jibe, they get along quite well. (Definition from Merrimen Webster.)

@Cynique  thank you for this - I think I've been a victim of this eggcorn 

• Thanks 2

Troy

If you don't understand the system of White supremacy....you will be confused about poor White people, their mentality, and how they see and relate to other poor people.

Under the system of White supremacy...........
The entire world is a PRISION and people of color are the INMATES while the White race are the STAFF.

The staff is made up of many members; the Warden, guards, doctors, cooks, janitors, ect......

Poor Whites may be the JANITORS or COOKS in that staff of the prison and they may be poor, working hard, and treated like shit by the Warden, doctors, and other people higher up....but they STILL see themselves as better off than the INMATES who are people of color who are stuck and can't leave.

Poor Whites see hard work and harsh living conditions as their DUTY in the system of White supremacy.

Most poor White men work hard, drink hard, and smoke cigarettes like a chimney because they don't care about their own lives or comforts.  They vote for Trump because they care about maintaining the system that oppresses Black people and they'll sacrifice their own comforts to maintain it.

You know as well as I do that the average poor White person would rather be poor and White, than rich and Black.
That should give you some indication of their mentality and how they see life.

Some people understand intuitively, or through life experience, that racism is a flawed belief system. Anyone with a decent education should know this as well.

Whether racism is flawed or not, the most powerful government and religious system this world had witnessed in 500 years has been built off of it.
It's called WHITE SUPREMACY.

With the ideaology of racism....which you called a flawed belief system....a handful of men have been able to sail out all over the planet and dominate millions of people and several continents.

Mel

In the documentary, the problem is NOT white supremacy... Now if you want to go off topic, that's fine.

I wasn't trying to intentionally derail the conversation/topic, just putting it in perspective.

All this talk of poverty without revealing it's SOURCE.....it's SOURCE are White men who practice a system of economics that is influenced by racism.

Which is why I'm not suprised that the film....by a White man...doesn't discuss it.
He'll continue to toss red herrings out there for people to chase after rather than tell the truth.

If you really understood white supremacy, you'd know you fell for the illusion. Then you’d know it’s a distraction to keep alleged "non-white" people on a defense to lose sight of their own goals. You’d know the would-be emperor is skilled at the art of legerdemain.

White Supremacy is no more an illusion or distraction than is a terminal illness.
It's an all encompassing system that affects almost every aspect of your life whether you realize it or not.

All this talk of some mysterious "emperor" causing poverty around the world is just another red herring tossed out to the public to have you looking under garbage cans and poking around in back-alleys looking for some "boogy man" to blame.

When you really don't need to look any further than the man who produced this film and those he went to college with as key players in the game that keeps global poverty going.

If you doubt what I'm saying or think it's a bunch of uninformed nonsense, then show me one nation in the past 500 years that was able to accumulate any substantial wealth WITHOUT the assistance of White men!

Poverty will end when WHITE MEN decide to end it.....because they in charge and control the purse stings.

@Pioneer1, I'm not denying that racism is a problem.  In fact, I agree with some of what you've described, but where we diverge is on the underlying motivation for the racism.  

I believe racism is a tool of the plutocracy to enrich themselves.  I believe religion has been used for this reason, indeed our education system and culture is designed to create consumers who enrich their masters.

Whether is is the tobacco industry selling us cancer sticks, big pharma making opioids freely available, Wall Street bringing the world's economy to the brink of collapse, Facebook manipulating our election and brainwashing people, or 45 fueling racism, it is all about power and money.  Racism is one of many tools these folks use against us.

You can destroy racism tomorrow and the greats masses of the world's people will still be poor.  

We live in a world where someone like Amazon's Jeff Bezos can accumulate a net worth north of $90B on the backs of factory workers grinding away making slave wages and he is celebrated.  As Bezos builds a monopoly some people even vigorously defend it?!  

Man, racism is a problem but again it is a symptom.  Racism was created to justify slavery.  Educated white folks knew what Black folks accomplished great things in Africa--hell they used this knowledge and then took credit for creating it.  Of course the great masses of people--even black ones don't know this, but we know all the celebrity gossip.  

Sure, we have to fight racism because it is kicking your butts, but the real problem are the plutocrats pulling the levers--impoverishing us all. 

• Thanks 1

Troy

My man Troy.....lol.

I believe racism is a tool of the plutocracy to enrich themselves.

And what do these "plutocrats" look like?
....physically speaking.

I believe religion has been used for this reason, indeed our education system

Mmmmm....ok....
And when we find those who control the educational system in this nation, what do THEY look like?

Whether is is the tobacco industry selling us cancer sticks,

And what do the men who control the tobacco industry LOOK like?

big pharma making opioids freely available,

What COLOR do you think the people are who control"big pharma"?

Wall Street bringing the world's economy to the brink of collapse,

What do the men who control Wall Street look like?

Facebook manipulating our election and brainwashing people,

Lol, and the men invented and control facebook are WHAT color?

45 fueling racism

Wonder what RACE does Prez #45 check off in the census form.....lol

Racism is one of many tools these folks use against us.

I KNOW what color "us" (you and me) is....but what color are "these folks" that you're talking about????

We live in a world where someone like Amazon's Jeff Bezos can accumulate a net worth north of $90B on the backs of factory workers grinding away making slave wages and he is celebrated. As Bezos builds a monopoly some people even vigorously defend it?!

Well hell, what COLOR is Jeff Bezos?

but the real problem are the plutocrats pulling the levers--impoverishing us all.

And again, what COLOR are the plutocrats who are pulling the levers and impoverishing people?

You see the point I'm getting at Troy?

No matter which way you cut it, you'll still end up with a slice of....

No  matter how much you shake the can, when you open it and pour out it's content you'll find.....

No matter how long you bake it, it'll still come out of the oven as....

WHITE SUPREMACY.

Because when you trace everything you mentioned back to their original sources, you'll discover a WHITE MAN in a suit and tie sitting at a desk master-minded all of it.

You can destroy racism tomorrow and the greats masses of the world's people will still be poor.

That's where you're wrong my brother.

Neither YOU nor I can destroy racism....because we didn't create it.

The WHITE SUPREMISTS started racism and it will end when THEY decide to end it.
It's not up to you.

The only thing you can do is....with the help of The Supreme Being.....PROTECT yourself from it by trying to stay out of their way and be as self reliant as possible.

And this is the advice I would give the people living in poverty around the world.

Rely on the Supreme Being, try to be as self-reliant as possible, and try not to piss off the White Supremists who control most of the world right now.

Del

So it's a bit inelegant to say all white people.

Who said "all" White people?

I'm talking about the White Supremists.

They aren't ALL White people, but they are enough to control the world without the other White people being able to stop them.

It's also less than useful to provide an uninformed perspective, Pioneer.

Then why do you continue to do so?

Lol, get bored sometimes??

@Delano, why are you going so hard at the young Brother?  (nevermind, you answered my question here)

@Pioneer1, you know you really can say a lot more with fewer words.  Sure, virtually all of the people you mentioned are white.

Do you think, then Billionaire, Bob Johnson did Black folks a service with BET?  You do realize most of the people robbed of their homes, locked up in jails, ODing on opioids, and now killing each other in mass shooting every other week are all white.

No my brother, the problem is not white supremacy, it is just plain ol fashioned greed. The Bezos fellow will never be satisfied with $90 billion and control over everything.  As the saying goes you can never get enough of what you don't need...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Delano said:

@Pioneer1 The thread is about the clip. Which you stated you hadn't watched. so your opinion is uninformed

@Delano, It seems many have an opinion without a bit of knowledge.   It's the way of this "new" world. smh

I knew I was asking to borrow the group's time when I asked you all to watch the video - but I wanted to know what others saw.  Documentaries are subjective.   

I don't mind tangent conversation but to not watch and still have an opinion on it - is just a bold display of ignorance.   I won't waste my time on it.   

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me." 

Anyway, like @Troy mentioned , it is an old documentary but the information contained within provides a map so we won't repeat history.   Troy 's crusade combined with this video was a great wake-up call - especially since the five tech giants are poised to become Emperors -over an empire built on this millennium's most precious resource - "information" ... 

Edited by Mel Hopkins
add links
  • Like 1

Del

The thread is about the clip. Which you stated you hadn't watched. so your opinion is uninformed. You aren't daunted from having an opinion about subjects you no nothing about.

The thread is about the movie AS WELL AS a discussion on poverty and how to end it.

I didn't pretend to know something about the movie that I didn't.

I gave no opinions about the film that I didn't have information to back those opinions up.
I researched the film's director and where he was born before I commented on him.

I DO know something about poverty because I've worked with people who are in poverty and I've met many many more from other nations who used to live in poverty.

Troy

you know you really can say a lot more with fewer words. Sure, virtually all of the people you mentioned are white.

Exactly.
Supporting my argument that the problems that you're complaining about are being CAUSED by White people who are in charge.

e.i. the White Supremists.

So it IS a race issue because the RACISTS are in charge.

Do you think, then Billionaire, Bob Johnson did Black folks a service with BET?

No.
He promoted dysfunction.....for the most part.
Which is one of the reasons he was ALLOWED to to produce BET by the White Supremists who control the media.

One of the tools of the White Supremists is to promote confusion and dysfunction and usually THROUGH other Black people.
Just look at the rappers that they promote.

No my brother, the problem is not white supremacy, it is just plain ol fashioned greed.
The Bezos fellow will never be satisfied with $90 billion and control over everything.

Well if the problem is NOT White supremacy, besides Jeff Bezos what are the races of the OTHER multibillionaires who are trying to buy up and control everything?

Are their any Black or Native American billionaires trying to do this?

Poverty is a SYMPTOM of White Supremacy.

A by-product of it.

Until the problem of White Supremacy is solved, world wide poverty will not be.

Del

Ok Pioneer

It's about TIME you gave in....lol.

Troy

please answer this simple question without a long winded diatribe. When did white supremacy begin?

I don't know.

Lol...
Is that simple and straight to the point enough for you?

However if your point is that poverty was here BEFORE White Supremacy.......
So was murder, slavery, rape, and other evils.

But White Supremacy took these evils which were rather local and isolated and MAGINFIED them into a world wide system of exploitation and misery previously unknown to humanity.

If there is any evidence to the contrary.....I'd like to see it.

Mel

Interesting little video.

What got me was how the first two people interviewed claimed to be half-Japanese but the Japanese they spoke didn't seem to be fluent or flow as well as the Japanese man interviewing them.

Their Japanese seemed to be "choppy" as if they were struggling to find Japanese words to speak....something most people don't do with a language native to them.

On top of that, NEITHER of the two looked half-Asian.
Asian genetics aren't THAT weak.....I seriously doubt that the first two people were half-Asian.

Another thing I found interesting was how so many people being interviewed seemed NOT to know the difference between RACE and NATIONALITY.

The White looking man who was interviewed said he was HALF-BRITISH and HALF-JAPANESE.

Both British and Japanese are NATIONALITIES.....so you either ARE or you're NOT.
No such thing as HALF of a nationality.
It's like being HALF CATHOLIC.....lol.

And the last brother on there......((shakes head))

I like the way he started off because he spoke pretty fluent Japanese and sounded just like most Japanese I've heard.
But when it came to THINKING and expressing himself.....man.
Struggling with thoughts, can't find examples of what he was complaining about, he really looked kind of silly in that interview.

But my question to YOU Mel is.....what does this video have to do with WHITE SUPREMACY.

@Pioneer1, you should research the subject of white supremacy.  At least earn a bit more about it's origins, you then see many of your conclusions are baseless. 

I was not trying to make a point. I was just trying to discern how much you knew about White Supremacy.  It is interesting given your admittedly limited knowledge on the subject that you feel perfectly comfortable making grandiose statements like, "White Supremacy took these evils which were rather local and isolated and MAGINFIED them into a world wide system of exploitation and misery previously unknown to humanity." This characteristic makes it difficult to have a reasonable dialogue about this subject with you, because you'll say anything with nothing to back it up.

A cursory knowledge of history would give you ample examples to the contrary.  Think about religion for example.  Religion predates White Supremacy and has been the cause of a great deal more suffering which continues to this day.  Wouldn't you agree?

BTW regarding the video, people can have dual citizenship i.e. have two nationalities. For the upteenth time, there is only one race. You can't look at someone and determine what you understand to be their "race."  As far as the brother is concerned; he struck me as perfectly normal. It is not surprising that he would get a little tongue tied when a stranger sticks a camera in his face and asks deeply personal questions in public.  

• Thanks 2

Troy

you should research the subject of white supremacy.

Why would I need to research a subject that I'm living in and experiencing to have a conversation about it?

That would be like me doing research on what it's like to live in the state of Michigan, lol.

My living under the system of White Supremacy for over 4 decades has given me enough knowledge about the subject to earn my PhD in it if it were a field of study....lol.

It is interesting given your admittedly limited knowledge on the subject that you feel perfectly comfortable making grandiose statements like, "White Supremacy took these evils which were rather local and isolated and MAGINFIED them into a world wide system of exploitation and misery previously unknown to humanity."

So, are you saying that the statement I made is wrong or false?

You do realize that calling it "grandiose" or otherwise attempting to ridicule the idea STILL doesn't disprove it.

The only way to disprove it is to DISPROVE it...i.e. provide STRONG EVIDENCE or PROOF that contradicts it.

Now can you do that?

It was called the TRANSATLANTIC slave trade because European slavery extended from one side of the Atlantic Ocean clear to the other side.

What other group of people can you point to in a historical context that has come even close to doing this?

Del

Pioneer giving up on you is not the same as giving in to you. Your comment is both queer sounding and rapey.

Del is that YOU talking, or is it that the "Little Della" trapped inside of you who's making all of these sexually suggestive projections about my statement....lol?

Now here, Neely Fuller explains why the problem of White Supremacy MUST be solved first before any other major problem can be addressed.........

In order to understand poverty or any other major global problem, you must first understand the ROOT CAUSE of the problem.

@Pioneer1, I say you should research the subject because your personal experience is very limited.  I know you like to rely mostly on your personal experiences I suspect most people do, but you have to appreciate by doing so you have an incomplete understanding.  Not that I'm an expert.  One of the reason I say that I understand is because I came from where you are  and know many who understand the world they way you do.

You asked for, and I gave you, an example of a system that has caused more harm to more people over a longer period of time, but you have ignored or rejected it.  The transatlantic slave trade while horrific only lasted 200 years.  Now the Black experience in America, over the past century and a half, has suffered as a direct consequence of the slave trade and the white racism used to justify it.

Would you have rather been a white boy living in eastern europe where 10, 15% or more of the population was slaughtered during WW II?  Why do you think white people spent so much time and energy killing each other?

Troy

Oh, actually I did see it but forgot to comment on it last night.
Let me hit on it right quick........

A cursory knowledge of history would give you ample examples to the contrary. Think about religion for example. Religion predates White Supremacy and has been the cause of a great deal more suffering which continues to this day. Wouldn't you agree

Yes religion as a concept predates White Supremacy, because religion is just RITUALISTIC beliefs and behavior.

However White Supremacy IS a religion, one of the most powerful on this planet.

White Supremacy is such a powerful religion that it usually makes people over ride their OWN religions by conforming to the standards of the Whites who employ them and abandon keep aspects of their religion.

The Bible may say not to work on Sundays.....
But if that White man schedules you for Sunday and is the one writing your check to keep your bills paid and your family fed, you're gonna have your ass at work on Sundays DESPITE what the Bible says.

The Quran my tell you to pray at a certain time........
But there are Muslims who DON'T pray at that time because that White man they work for told them that this is the time they need to be working and they should pray at another time.
Or they may drink alcohol because other people around them are doing it despite their religion forbidding it.

So yes, I agree that religion has caused a great deal of suffering.....the religion of WHITE SUPREMACY.

BTW regarding the video, people can have dual citizenship i.e. have two nationalities.

What you're talking about is "nationality" in LEGAL terms, but I'm talking about nationality in ETHNIC terms.

Having dual citizenship and having 2 nationalities isn't the same as being HALF of one nationality and half of another.

As far as White people killing eachother in wars.............

They start doing that when there are no other people of color around to kill and oppress.
Which is one of the reasons they have decided not to try to kill all of the people of color around the world outright.
Some wanted to do so.....but the smartest of the White Supremists know that if they did manage to kill all people of color (which they will never do) then pretty soon they would get bored and start slaughtering EACHOTHER like they do in many of these European nations where there are no people of color.

What White people do to eachother in no way cancels out the fact that they practice a system of racism and White Supremacy worldwide.
No matter how much they fight and argue, they come together when it comes to YOU...lol.

So you believe white racist kill each other out of boredom?  (why am I having this conversation?)

Let's go back to my original question @Pioneer1 when did white supremacy start?  I know you said you did not know.  But you should look it up.  It would help us have a more intelligent conversation on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Troy

So you believe white racist kill each other out of boredom?

Does the massacre in Las Vegas where over 500 people...mostly White....were shot by another gun-collecting White man for absolutely NOTHING, answer your question?
Or do you need more examples?

Let's go back to my original question @Pioneer1 when did white supremacy start? I know you said you did not know. But you should look it up. It would help us have a more intelligent conversation on the subject.

Come on Troy, you've known me long enough to know that I don't argue or discuss subjects along what I call "academic" terms where we're exchanging figures and graphs and what we've found in endless research.

I'm a straight shooter.
I speak plainly, directly, and to the point.

I make statements and whether one agrees with them or not, they're either TRUE or FALSE.

Now I'm telling you that White Supremacy is the cause of poverty around the world today.
My evidence for making that statement rests in the fact that White men in Europe and the United States pretty much control the world's economy.

Now if my statement is ridiculous.....
Can you prove that statement to be false by providing a concrete cause of global poverty?

You're saying poverty is caused by these mysterious "greedy men" in this mysterious "system".
Yet if we were to examine these men as well as the system that spawned them, what skin color would I find these men to be?

Good to watch! Thanks For sharing Mel! Poverty is a serious problem which is going on these days. Ending poverty is not simply by just giving more money. Many people from different parts of the world are suffering due to this problem. I have read here that to fight poverty, NGO's are working hard by organizing different volunteering programs for helping the people.

• Thanks 1

@Pioneer1 I can never prove, to your satisfaction, that anything you say is false or ridiculous. Asking me to do so is a waste of my time. I've never observed you change your position on a subject even when presented with information to the contrary. 

Describing research, information, and facts as "academic." is an excuse for the not to facing the reality that your position is flawed. 

Indeed, your unwillingness to look up the most basic information about a subject you admit you have limited knowledge of tells everyone you are not really interested in the truth, but only concerned with defending your beliefs.  

Describing yourself as, "a straight shooter", and saying you "speak plainly, directly, and to the point." does not make what you say true.  This is the same tactic used by "45," which only appeals to the uninformed and those moved more by emotion than reason. 

• Thanks 2

Virginia

NGO's are working hard by organizing different volunteering programs for helping the people.

Virginia, many of these NGOs and Non Profit Organizations are nothing but SCAMS that not only do nothing to aleviate poverty but actually CONTRIBUTE to it.
I've worked for a couple and I've been on the inside to know what I'm talking about.

First of all, most of these NGOs and NPOs are nothing but programs to provide jobs for White kids who get out of college with degrees but can't find jobs in the corporate world.
So when they can't find a job with Google, they have a friend that hooks them up with a job serving hot meals to drug addicts in the ghetto until they find something better.

Second, many of these organizations have CONTRIBUTED to the poverty rate because many of the programs that Presidents Roosevelt and Johnson instituted were ran by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
.....which means that because of affirmative action and hiring laws, many of the positions inside these government organizations were actually held by BLACK PEOPLE and provided them with good paying jobs.

But when these institutions went private or Non-Profit......that exempted them from many of the strict hiring laws they had to adhere to, so instead of being forced to hire qualified Black people.....they instead employed White kids and paid THEM $40,000 or $50,000 to come to the ghetto and feed people.

This is why my signature says:  If you do not UNDERSTAND White Supremacy...what it is...and HOW IT WORKS...everything else you understand will only CONFUSE you.

You'll be CONFUSED as to why so many people and so much money is funneled into eliminating poverty yet it continues to increase.

Troy

I can never prove, to your satisfaction, that anything you say is false or ridiculous. Asking me to do so is a waste of my time. I've never observed you change your position on a subject even when presented with information to the contrary.

Lol, come on man......
First of all, being presented with mere "information" to the contrary shouldn't be enough to make me...you...or ANYONE change their position.
We have to first make sure that that "information" is correct.

Now I'm not going to say I NEVER do it, but can you point to atleast 2 instances where I was presented with CORRECT information that contrasted my postion on a given subject where I failed to change it?

I'd like 2, but I'll take one.

Describing research, information, and facts as "academic." is an excuse for the not to facing the reality that your position is flawed

There's a difference between flawed....and wrong.

ObamaCare is "flawed".....but it's positives outweigh it's negatives.

Is it your contention that the ONLY way a person can intelligently talk about a subject is if they've gone out and done endless amounts of research on it complete with documents and affidavits?

Describing yourself as, "a straight shooter", and saying you "speak plainly, directly, and to the point." does not make what you say true.

True.
But it DOES make me a better communicator than one who is well researched but vague and confusing in their delivery to the audience.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:30 PM, Pioneer1 said:

First of all, most of these NGOs and NPOs are nothing but programs to provide jobs for White kids who get out of college with degrees but can't find jobs in the corporate world.
So when they can't find a job with Google, they have a friend that hooks them up with a job serving hot meals to drug addicts in the ghetto until they find something better.

??? Are there actually white college graduates serving hot meals to drug addicts in the ghetto?  This is why i can't groove with you, Pioneer.  What you say sounds so unlikely.   I'm trying to imagine a scenario where ghetto drug addicts are being served hot meals by anybody, because these people are on the street focused on quick ways to get their next fix, unless of course they are in rehab where i still have a hard time believing that they would be waited on by anyone other than blacks who are routinely relegated to this type of menial labor. But, - that's just me...  

• Like 1

Troy

Pioneer, that is easy. Here is one; Your position on "race" remains unchanged despite all the information, science, and data that has been shared with you. This like arguing the world is flat.

As Antonio Montana would say: OK......

Then I have 2 questions for you:

1. Will you please kindly tell me what do you believe IS my position on race.....that you claim hasn't changed?

2. And do you believe that "race" actually exists?

Cynique

??? Are there actually white college graduates serving hot meals to drug addicts in the ghetto? This is why i can't groove with you, Pioneer. What you say sounds so unlikely.

How many soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and drug rehab facilities have you been around that you can intelligently judge whether my statement is accurate or not?

You don't judge whether or not I'm telling the truth simply because it "sounds" unlikely.

Hell, it "sounds" unlikely that sight and sound can travel through air; yet someone proved it could happen by inventing the television....lol.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where ghetto drug addicts are being served hot meals by anybody, because these people are on the street focused on quick ways to get their next fix,

Drugs are their top priority, but they're STILL human beings and must have their basic needs of FOOD, clothing, and shelter met.

Again.........

Most of these "poverty programs" that are being funded by the government do next to NOTHING to aleviate poverty because many of the people who are running them are racist, inept, and or and insincere in their efforts.
They pretend to care about the poor but actually use their programs to line thier own pockets, hook their friends up with good jobs, and enjoy a feeling of "superiority" over less fortunate people.

Many of the young White people you see serving meals to poor people are there doing COMMUNITY SERVICE.
They got caught driving drunk or with a stash of drugs on them and they were sentenced to doing a week of work at the local soup kitchen to avoid time in jail.

Like I've said time and time again, don't expect the SAME people who caused poverty and are benefiting from it.....to end it.

Cynique

According to your previous post, these people feeding drug addicts are white college graduates earning $50,000 a year until they can find a job in their profession.

If you'd stop looking for excuses to poke holes in my statements and just use your common sense, you MIGHT come up with an interesting concept about what I've said......

That concept being......

Lol, are you ready for it?

ALL OF IT is true!

When you go to places like homeless shelters, drug rehab centers, and other places that focus on feeding and supposedly helping the poor you find a MIX of people involved.

Some are staff members who get paid.
Some are volunteers doing it for their church or social organization.
Some are former and current clients who choose to turn around help out.
Some are people sentenced by the court to do community service.

There's a wide variety of people doing things for a myriad of different reasons.

This doesn't nullify what I said, it just includes it.

Troy

you continually assert there is a Black race, a white race, as well as a few others.

And you say that there is only ONE race....the "human race".
Am I correct?

If so, it's basically YOUR WORD against MY WORD.
How does you offering an opposing or contradictory position  "prove" mine wrong?

Besides just saying it over and over again, what evidence have you brought to PROVE that there is only one race?

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

When you go to places like homeless shelters, drug rehab centers, and other places that focus on feeding and supposedly helping the poor you find a MIX of people involved.

Some are staff members who get paid.
Some are volunteers doing it for their church or social organization.
Some are former and current clients who choose to turn around help out.
Some are people sentenced by the court to do community service.

The epitome of mansplaining.  I well aware of the "soup kitchen" community.  You just need to be kept in check when you resort to hyperbole as was the case with you declaring that white college students were being paid $50,000 a year for serving hot meals to drug addicts, and subsequently contradicting yourself by saying these white kids serving hot meals to drug addicts were ones sentenced by the court to do community service.  Keep it real.  

• Like 1

@Pioneer1, the science is clear.  There is only one race and the world is an oblate spheroid not flat.  This is not "my word" or "your word."  These are just facts man.  Again, this is my point: you have no problem disputing facts based upon your own limited knowledge and intuition. 

The only saving grace in our conversation is that you now know the truth. 

Now if you continue to reject that reality and form conclusions based upon this falsehood, that is up to you.  But once someone makes it clear to me that the will reject facts in favor of their opinion I try not to pursue the argument any future.

I did previously present you with a lot of information, but I guess you missed, ignored, or failed to understand it. At this point you can simply look it up on your own.

• Like 1

Cynique

The epitome of mansplaining. I well aware of the "soup kitchen" community. You just need to be kept in check when you resort to hyperbole as was the case with you declaring that white college students were being paid $50,000 a year for serving hot meals to drug addicts, and subsequently contradicting yourself by saying these white kids serving hot meals to drug addicts were ones sentenced by the court to do community service. Keep it real.

I keep it CIVIL.
If I kept it "real" I'd have cussed you out a couple posts ago.....lol.
Every other word would have been "N" this and "MF" that....lol.

For you to call my statements contradictory is like me saying an apple is a fruit and you digging up a post where I called an orange a fruit and using THAT as an example of a contradiction.

It's a silly attempt to play a game of "gotcha".

Troy

the science is clear. There is only one race and the world is an oblate spheroid not flat. This is not "my word" or "your word." These are just facts man. Again, this is my point: you have no problem disputing facts based upon your own limited knowledge and intuition.

But "science" never said that there was only one race.....TROY is.

But you're right about one thing, this is no longer simply MY word againt YOUR word.

I've enlisted the help of Merriam-Webster:

1 :any one of the groups that human beings can be divided into based on shared distinctive physical traits.

c :a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race

And Wikipedia

"
Race is a concept used in the categorization of humans into groups, called races or racial groups, based on combinations of shared physical traits, ancestry, genetics, and social or cultural traits"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

So both of these OFFICIAL DEFINITIONS back me up on the fact that not only is "race" a form of categorizing people.....but also the fact that there is MORE THAN ONE RACE.