What Was the Greatest Movement by African Americans?

@Cynique, since you were there, I'm not going to challenge your knowledge of the Panthers.  Besides I don't think the Black Panthers represented the greatest movement led by Black folks in any event.  I'd of course put this civil rights movement at the top of the list; there were clear goals out that were achieved, and which have had lasting impact.

I'd also add Garvey's UNIA there are still active branches today. I'm seriously considering joining one.

What was the greatest movement in your book?

Sure I'd agree Del.  Music can be a motivator and an inspiration and have worked in tandem with movements.  

Of course we are familiar with the music from the civil rights movement and all of our wars.

I'm not familiar with the music from Garvey's movement.  It is interesting that we don't hear much about Garvey that today given his impact impact and historical significance.  I guess after KIng and X that is all we get since we don't control our media or educate our people...

@TroyI've been thinking about this.  Do you equate a "great" movement with being a "good" movement? And the lasting effect of a movement is also a factor. Aside from the Civil Rights movement, i'd think about the Harlem Renaissance Movement because it was multi-faceted in that it involved  literature, arts, theater, and politics. Many positive, enduring things came out of it. Then i'd even give some thought to Nat Turner's movement which culminated in a slave revolt.  It ended in failure and tragedy but it provided black people with a genuine hero and a much needed inspiration because, to this day, the struggle continues. The Hip Hop movement significantly allowed younger generation to uniquely express themselves in style, and music and attitude and it has had longevity. I really can't just choose one movement as being the "greatest".  

Music is important because it is associated with certain eras and the movements that occurred during them.

• Thanks 1

I vote for ---

1)The Underground Railroad and its conductor Harriet Tubman.  I especially like how the enslaved joined with like minded groups such as the abolitionists which powered the movement like coal and steam moves a locomotive.  It even led to legislation because it was a force that disrupted the slave trade. 

2) Civil Rights Movement - and it also led to sweeping legislation but this time to benefit minorities and women.  

3) Third would be HIP HOP... it's a culture for us, by us and continues to influence the psyche of the western and eastern civilization...As of two years ago the Japanese were still into HIP HOP...

I'd put Nat Turner's revolt in the "event" category rather than calling it a movement.

Looks like I'm all alone in the believing Hip-hop is no longer a "movement."

Right now is it is all about commerce as opposed to culture.  A new rap artist has very little hope of living off royalties, indeed I suspect many of the old school legends can't either.

One of the Furious Five was working as a security guard before he was arrested for murder (that Brother used to work out at he same gym I did back in the 80's). Most of the wealth is concentrated into the hands corporations and a few of us have become very wealthy while the vast majority of those in the culture/movement struggle.  It was by us but it is no longer for us. it is,  like so much else we create; FTBU "For Them By Us."

Maybe I'm too close to it to see it the way you all do.  

Yeah that was Kid Creole. , Melle Mel's brother. 

A ran into a brother from the Bronx in Sydney. He was doing video for a hip hop party. Attended by 20 year old Australians and Asian kids. 

Hip Hop is relevant today because it is one of the art forms made by American Blacks. Which means Black creativity is recognised globally. 

I saw hip hop being made. Caught the best years of house. Saw Jazz greats. Most of which were Black. And people around the world respect those creatives.

Prince Miles Davis Melle Mel are musically historic. I was fortunate enough to see them. We are future history. Even if our work struggle and failures aren't documented.