The Purpose of Our “Club”

Troy

Yaay! I wanted to post something yesterday.  Thank you! 

I didn't sign up to help via the survey because I didn't know how I could be of service - until now. 

I'm boycotting amazon by not selling my books through them.  It won't have an impact on amazon but it will allow me to engage my audience directly.   As for buying books - Amazon will be my last resort. 

I bought 3 books in November (1)  - two directly from the publisher and another from lulu (the author didn't have copies available through the website. )  

So, since I worked at both G.P. Putnam's Sons (1988-89) in the Special Sales department and Penguin USA (1989-1992) Academic Marketing and Sales department;  I'd be happy to share some insight on how we sold books before Amazon.   

I also have a note from Zane on her pitch for hand sellers and have information and a website to link regarding successful hand seller tools. 

I have a lot of ideas for people who are afraid to take the plunge and sell without amazon. If there are self-publishers who decide  they don't want to grovel to brick and mortar book store owners to sell their books - I have ideas to share with them too.  

In fact, when I first self-published in 2006 - no bricks and mortar bookstore wanted to be bothered with me...so I won't be selling through any distributors either.  I welcome anyone to get inventory from me if they want have access to my books.  Since I circumvented the who business model in the first place - I don't know why I wasted time trying to fit in their game in the first place.

(off soap box)

Edited by Mel Hopkins
added content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As discussed the focus of the club has changed from the negative (boycotting Amazon), to the positive, supporting the businesses to support Black books.  On social media the hashtag #readingblack will be used and doman readingblack.com will point to this website.

My initial goal will be to encourage folks to read books by Black writers and to buy those books from Black booksellers and to provide the services device strategies to facilitate this process.

readingblackmeme_728x90.jpg

• Like 1