Thanksgiving Day,Black America.

As Family And Friends Gather To Eat.. Black People Should Be,Grateful For The Black Soldiers Past And  Present. Civil Rights,Activist Who Were Beaten Up,Jailed ,Lynched For Us,To ,Have What We Have...Some Black Politicians . Black Preachers,Years Ago,When The Church , Was A Place Of Unity And Strategy . The Black Church Has Become Slave Cabins And Pimp,Houses... Enslaving The Souls Of Black Folks And Worshipping Money.....

I don't celebrate ThanksGiving.
It's just a day off for me.

The same with Christmas.

And it's been like that for over 20 years.

I've actually considered petitions to force the banks and other public services to stay open and operate in my community on these so-called "holidays" because I don't want to be FORCED to observe a so-called "holy day" that I don't recognize as holier than any other.

Problem was, I got more support from White people than Black people so I abandoned the effort.....for now, lol.

Lighten up @Pioneer1.  Obviously the holidays is a time for consumers to enrich corporations. But is also a time for family to get together.  The day off makes it possible for more people--not all--to spend time with family and friends. 

I'm not a fan of turkey and did not eat any yesterday.  I won't be shopping on the corporate created holidays (Black Friday) or on Monday (cyber Monday) because I don't really have extra money and I really don't need anything. I have no reverence for the pilgrims. The spending time with family and friends is what I enjoy. 

Were you able to spend time with family or friends on Thanksgiving?

I actually had to go to a community social function on Thanks Giving and meet with some people, but later on a friend of mine came over and cooked dinner.

But yesterday I had to go over to my cousin's house for some real "down home ghetto style" Thanks Giving food....lol.

I won't go as far as to call it a "murderous day"....lol.... but the fact that so many Americans can enjoy a traditional Thanks Giving dinner in a nice home with family and friends while so many millions are locked up in jails, millions are homeless, millions are unemployed, and with millions of broken dysfunctional families......

It illustrates the great divide between the "2 Americas" today.

I remember celebrating big Thanks Giving dinners with my extended family when I was a kid where my aunts, uncles, cousins, ect....all came together.

Today, many of them are dead.....other's in jail....others destitute in and out of the street.

Thanks Giving and Christmas are BEAUTIFUL days to spend time with your family and friends, but you must make sure the REST of your year is socially and financially stable enough to support these events.

We need to focus on building a NEW reality for ourselves instead of trying to maintain outdated traditions that weren't established by or for us.

LOL!  @Pioneer1, I'm surprised you did not embrace that quote without reservation.

Unfortunately the holidays are a very depressing time for some, as their lives fail compare the the fictionalized versions we see everywhere we look.

My biggest compliant about this time of the year is how hyper-commercialized the season has become.  It was bad when I was a kid, but is seems crazy now.  Do people really have nothing better to do that spend money on more things they can't possibly need?  

I got a big of email from different folks today claiming it is "Giving Tuesday."  Where the heck did that day come from?  They really should make it the Tuesday before Black Friday, and Cyber Monday when people still have some money left...

Well sounds like you have a fine day, despite it all.  I'm glad :)

Yes that day was pretty nice for me but I could say that MOST days for me are nice with the grace of the Supreme Being because I do what I can when I want to or feel a need to....not when society designates a special day for me to do it.

If you'll remember, I've said the same thing about Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.
I don't go crazy over these days.....I show the women I love appreciation when I see them.

But when you speak of depression during the holidays......

I believe social media is playing a HUGE role in the depression because very few people get on facebook or twitter talking about how broke, lonely, sick, or sad they are.
They all get on flashing money, flashing gifts, flashing pictures of a well toned body or a new boyfriend or bragging about a new job.

In a society where more and more resources are being hoarded into the hands of a greedy few, more people are fat and out of shape than ever, and an increasing number of people are becoming destitute.....social media has become a cruel psychological joke for so many confused youth.

• Thanks 1